3 Pole to Single Pole

maleko

Reply Sat 18 Aug, 2018 07:43 pm
So in my house I have a front deck and an upstairs deck. For some reason they wired the lighting on both decks together. This means if I turn on the cans on the front deck the cans upstairs come on. I'd like to wire them to be individually controlled, and there are switches on both levels. I've done a bunch of searching online to try and figure out how I would make this work but can't seem to figure it out. Anyone able to walk me through the wiring I'd need to do.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 508 • Replies: 1
No top replies

taopathway

Reply Sun 2 Dec, 2018 11:39 pm
@maleko,
the switch turning on all the lights would have a switch leg wire going into the first light closest then that wire would junction to the wire that goes to the next light and the next and next light to upstairs then the next and next. you would have to find the light downstairs feeding the light upstairs and disconnect and wire nut off the wire going up. Then you would have to run a wire from your upstairs switch to the closest light and make the junction to the upstairs light wires and disconnect and wire nut off the wires coming from downstairs.
0 Replies