Where is the US economy headed?

spendius

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2012 04:11 pm
@cicerone imposter,
You can't answer the question ci. Admit it. Your ridiculous blather doesn't obscure that obvious fact.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2012 04:35 pm
@spendius,
spendi wrote,
Quote:
If consumer spending makes up 70% of your economy why don't you consume more in order to get back to 4% growth?

Why don't you ask all the consumers? I'm only one of them.
realjohnboy

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2012 06:00 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

The ADP report for February is teasing another good job growth month - they predict 250k+ jobs.

Cycloptichorn

Another interesting number out today had to do with "productivity." That statistic has to do with how many widgets can be produced vs how many hours of labor manufacturers have to pay for. That is a gross over-simplication in terms. Bear with me.
Productivity has increased because of advances in technology. And productivity has increased because in some cases employers have shed less productive employees or less profitable products.
Today's stats suggest that the growth in productivity (widgets vs hours of labor) has slowed. That might mean that producers will have no choice other then to add jobs.
spendius

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2012 06:17 pm
@realjohnboy,
Can employers not be ordered to increase their workforce by 5%. Problem solved by the stroke of a pen.
spendius

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2012 06:19 pm
@spendius,
ci. doesn't give a damn what they do.
BillRM

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2012 06:30 pm
@spendius,
Problem solve is if we would give businesses now sitting on two trillions dollars or so of liquid cash reserves a choice of investing it or having it tax away and placed back into the economic in the form of tax rebates to the middle and lower classes.

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2012 06:37 pm
@spendius,
You wrote,
Quote:
ci. doesn't give a damn what they do.

That's correct! I don't give a damn, because it's none of my business. Is that some kind of new concept for you, spendi?
RABEL222

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2012 12:15 am
@cicerone imposter,
My wife is doing her damdest!!!
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2012 04:15 am
@BillRM,
Quote:
Problem solve is if we would give businesses now sitting on two trillions dollars or so of liquid cash reserves a choice of investing it or having it tax away and placed back into the economic in the form of tax rebates to the middle and lower classes.

That's what I meant.
spendius

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2012 04:18 am
@spendius,
Gee!! I'm being stalked by a poison thumber. Bill says the same thing as me only longer winded and he doesn't get thumbed down.

Case proved--thumbing down used to bully. An0nymously with a broad yellow streak.
spendius

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2012 04:23 am
@cicerone imposter,
No new concept ci. The Soviets did it. The N.Koreans as well I assume.

0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2012 04:27 am
@spendius,
Have you fallen foul of the Cryptkeeper? He uses those tactics against me, it would fit in with his rotting malevolence.
spendius

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2012 05:21 am
@izzythepush,
The trouble with rotting malevolence is that it can't be helped and so is not a fault. A yellow streak can be cured with considerable effort. Unlikely I know but not impossible.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2012 05:24 am
@spendius,
The two quite often go hand in hand.
spendius

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2012 05:29 am
@izzythepush,
Do you think it results from being henpecked all to **** at home and at work or is it congenital?
izzythepush

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2012 05:42 am
@spendius,
I think it's more to do with a lack of fulfilment, and a sense of inadequacy.
spendius

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2012 10:18 am
@izzythepush,
That's how henpecked saps do feel izzy. Good enough for 'em is what I reckon.
spendius

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2012 10:21 am
@spendius,
Hey!! I hope nobody thinks that's off topic. The economy, ci. style, runs on henpecking. There's nothing like a bunch of angry henpeckers for creating jobs.
BillRM

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2012 11:14 am
@spendius,
Quote:
Bill says the same thing as me only longer winded and he doesn't get thumbed down.

I think I am still the website holder for the numbers of votes down even with people making up false accounts to do so at one point.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2012 11:31 am
@spendius,
Writing about "the economy" Oswald Spegler wrote--

Quote:
From Adam Smith to Marx it is nothing but self-analysis of the economic thinking of a single Culture on a particular development level. Rationalistic through and through, it starts from Material and its conditions, needs, and motives, instead of from the Soul---of generations, Estates and peoples---and its creative power. It looks upon men as constituent parts of situations, and knows nothing of the big personality and history-shaping will, of individuals or of groups, the will that sees in the facts of economics not ends but means. It takes economic life to be something that can be accounted for without remainder by visible causes and effects, something of which the structure is quite mechanical and completely self contained and even, finally, something that stands in some sort of causal relation to religion and politics---these again being considered as individual self-contained domains. As this outlook is the systematic and not the historical, the timeless and universal validity of its concepts and rules is an article of faith, and its ambition is to establish the one an only correct method of applying the "science of management". And accordingly, wherever its truths have come into contact with the facts, it has experienced a complete fiasco. . . . .

. . . .

Quote:
To fathom the secret of its inner form, its soul, demands the physiognomic flair. To succeed in it it is necessary to be a "judge" of it as one is a "judge" of men and horses, and requires even less "knowledge" than that which a horseman needs to have of zoology.

What's a job ci? A pedicurist in a popular posh poodle parlour or someone looking after a sick or elderly person without pay or recognition? The jobs you're talking about are ends and not means.