Where is the US economy headed?

okie

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 08:08 pm
Thomas wrote:
If "comparative advantage" is a common sense concept, why are there so many protectionists, left and right? If "supply and demand" is a common sense concept, why do 75% of Americans believe in raising the minimum wage? Why have 2000 years of Judeo-Christian tradition consistently supported laws against usury? Why is rent control so popular? I think the contrary of what you say is true: Most findings of economics that economists agree about are counter-intuitive and unpopular, but correct. And herein lies the value of economics as a science.

Maybe common sense is not that common. Nixon of course tried price controls on gasoline during the embargo, and you guessed it, it had the opposite long term effect. Artificially lower prices dampened exploration and new production coming on line, which produced further tightening of supplies, which produced higher prices once the controls were lifted. The same may apply to rent control. If being a landlord is not particularly lucrative because of artificially setting rent charges, then nobody builds more rental units, thus perpetuating higher prices. Another good example is minimum wage. If no minimum wage was kept, the very low skilled jobs would probably go to their natural level of worth to society, thus driving many people to seek higher skills that demand a higher wage. If minimum wage is set too high, not only does it raise everybody's living cost, but it causes more workers to actually believe they can make a living and support a family on such wages, thus perpetuating an oversupply of workers at that wage and causing a dampening effect on more technological advancement in society. Free enterprise has been shown to work, and we must simply have the courage to believe in it because we all end up better off in the long run. Concerning usery, my interpretation on that is a voluntary thing; we should not take advantage of someone in need; I'm not sure how well it works to legislate people being fair to each other. Credit card companies don't commit usery with me because I alway pay the balance so they don't charge me 20% or whatever.

Quote:

Karl Marx said the same thing. I invite you to compare his Kapital with John Stuart Mill's Principles of Political Economy, which was written around the same time. You can then decide which book has withstood the test of time better. Of course, for all we know, the present critics of economics may do better. But I am not holding my breath, given the critics' record so far, and given that most 'criticism of economics' consists of fallacies debunked centuries ago.

Karl Marx can say what he wants, but I would suggest we simply look at the results of his system versus free enterprise and forget what the advocates say. The proof is in the track record.

Quote:

I agree that neither a human body nor an economy is a closed system energywise. The former runs on energy from food and air. The latter runs on the work, thrift, and risk-taking of the people, plus natural resources. I don't think that blood and money have anything to do with it. They are both media of exchange, but buth make up only a minor part of what bodies and economies produce.

Okay

Quote:

The world economy as a whole is a closed system. There is no "outside."

If you include the physical untouched earth as part of the economy, I guess you could look at that way, but I would prefer that nature untouched is not part of the economy, so I would argue that there is indeed an outside source of wealth that must be extracted, captured if you will by work and ingenuity, to bring into the system all the time. This is the food, water, and air that the body needs to survive. Without it, the body dies, and likewise our economy. I do not believe our economy stays healthy by simply trading with each other the wealth that we've already created. So, my point is that opening more Walmarts is not the road to prosperity, it is only a symptom of prosperity.

Quote:

You are. The USA is the second most productive nation in the world. (The most productive is Luxemburg. Luxemburg is tiny, and I'm sure one can cut a Luxemburg-sized chunk out of the US that is even more productive than Luxemburg. Long Island and the Bay Area seem like good candidates.)

Where does the money come from that makes it so prosperous?

Quote:
Investors regard America's secure property rights as a major reason to invest in your country. They regard Zimbabwe's insecure property rights as a major reason not to invest there. Secure property rights are an important factor in creating wealth, and they are supplied by governments. As to your point about competing nations, economists have been debunking your argument since David Hume (1752). The debunking of your argument has been completed in Ricardo (1817). More evidence, I believe, that economics is not just a simple application of common sense, as you thought it is.

Agreed for sure on the stable and secure property rights, which is a cornerstone of a free enterprise system to be successful. As to competition of nations, I am not sure whats been debunked there, you will need to explain further. Perhaps I don't understand your argument, but it seems your USA / Zimbabwe comparison proves that competition does exist and it does matter, and as the world gets smaller through enhanced communication and transportation, I think it is only going to grow in importance.
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 02:29 am
The economy in the US is not really 'free market' as envisioned by Adam Smith, it is an oligopoly where large multi-national corporations, huge unions and big government account for most of the economic activities.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 10:30 am
Cool word there, "oligopoly!" Still alot more competition than none at all. I think there are some industries that simply require a pooling of resources to accomplish because things like building refineries for example generally requires alot more than one individual could do. And I far prefer a corporation to a government. For example if you think oil companies are making too much money, simply buy some stock in them to reap some of the rewards. And if you think some industries are not competitive, maybe you need to be involved in the industry to find out the truth, because they are very likely much more competitive than you think. Look at auto manufacturing. Not many manufacturers, but GM and Ford especially are fighting for their very lives. I call that very intense competition whether you believe it or not. I do not think your statement is supported by facts at all.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 11:57 am
okie wrote:
Where does the money come from that es it so prosperous?

Luxemburg's wealth comes from an efficient banking system, plus other service industries, and the lack of a rust belt due to historical chance.

okie wrote:
As to competition of nations, I am not sure whats been debunked there, you will need to explain further. Perhaps I don't understand your argument, but it seems your USA / Zimbabwe comparison proves that competition does exist and it does matter, and as the world gets smaller through enhanced communication and transportation, I think it is only going to grow in importance.

How does a tyrannical Zimbabwe makes the US better off? Suppose for a moment that Zimbabwe started protecting human rights again, including private property and freedom of contract. This would clearly benefit the people of Zimbabwe. But how would it harm the United States? The point of these rhetorical questions is that enforcing human rights is a positive-sum game, not of competition. Every nation is well off or not according to its government's own performance, pretty much regardless of what other nations' governments are doing.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 12:13 pm
I see what you mean, and I can't disagree altogether. I think your point has a parallel in terms of people wishing to tax the rich to help the poor. The way to prosperity is not by taxing the rich and bringing them down to your level. Same principle would apply to the classroom. Dumbing down the high achievers is not the way to bring up the failures. The way to prosperity is to raise the expectations for everybody, and without wealthy people, who is there to offer jobs to the poor?

However, I still think competition does exist. My analogy would be the fact that McDonalds, Wendys, and all the rest seem to congregate in one area. They are competing, but they also are helping each other have a better business by locating their business adjacent to each other. So countries compete, but they help each other by creating the favorable policies in their own countries, thus bringing up the standard of living for everybody. I think our inflation rates would be greater here in the U.S. without the existence of economical products being shipped from China and other places around the world, and we also profit by shipping our areas of expertise to other countries. Competition is a "win - win" situation, as I do not believe the goal of any business should be that of putting their competition out of business. I have never seen that strategy ever work. Improving ones own products does seem to work, and then the competition improves theirs as well, and everybody benefits.
I simply do not see the goal of competition as being that of harming your competitor.

As far as Zimbabwe making the U.S. better off, the point is more accurate by pointing out that a more stable Zimbabwe would make Zimbabwe better off because it could compete better in the world market of outside investment, which would bring about a better economy in Zimbabwe. It would have a more competitive advantage in the world market. The same principle applies between states in the U.S. High tax states tend to drive business to states that have a more favorable tax and business policy. It is only one factor of many factors, but nevertheless it is a factor.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 12:19 pm
Okay, this is double plus not good.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/01/09/AR2006010901042_pf.html

Quote:
China Set To Reduce Exposure To Dollar
Move Would Probably Push Currency Down

By Peter S. Goodman
Washington Post Foreign Service
Tuesday, January 10, 2006; D01

SHANGHAI, Jan. 9 -- China has resolved to shift some of its foreign exchange reserves -- now in excess of $800 billion -- away from the U.S. dollar and into other world currencies in a move likely to push down the value of the greenback, a high-level state economist who advises the nation's economic policymakers said in an interview Monday.

As China's manufacturing industries flood the world with cheap goods, the Chinese central bank has invested roughly three-fourths of its growing foreign currency reserves in U.S. Treasury bills and other dollar-denominated assets. The new policy reflects China's fears that too much of its savings is tied up in the dollar, a currency widely expected to drop in value as the U.S. trade and fiscal deficits climb.

China now boasts the world's second-largest cache of foreign exchange -- behind only Japan -- and is on pace to see its reserves climb past $1 trillion later this year. Even a slight diminishing of the dollar as a percentage of those holdings could exert significant pressure on the U.S. currency, many economists assert.

In recent years, the value of the dollar has been buoyed by major purchases of U.S. Treasury bills by Japan, China and oil-exporting countries -- a flow of capital that has kept interests rates relatively low in the United States and allowed Americans to keep spending even as debts mount. Some economists have long warned that if foreigners lose their appetite for American debt, the dollar would fall, interest rates would rise and the housing boom could burst, sending real estate prices lower.

The comments of the Chinese senior economist, made on the condition of anonymity because the government disciplines those who speak to the press without express authorization, confirmed an analysis in Monday's Shanghai Securities News stating that China is inclined to shift some its savings into other currencies such as the euro and the yen, or into major purchases of commodities such as oil for a long-discussed strategic energy reserve.

In a report circulated this week, Stephen Green, senior economist with the bank Standard Chartered PLC in Shanghai, identified several signals that China is intent on limiting its exposure to the dollar -- not least, a recent pledge from the State Administration of Foreign Exchange to "actively explore more efficient use of our foreign exchange reserves."

"We believe this adds to the downside pressure the USD [U.S. dollar] is currently facing," Green wrote. "It is the first official expression from SAFE that they are looking at switching away" from the dollar.

The comments on SAFE's Web site reinforced earlier public warnings from Yu Yongding, an economist on the monetary policy committee of China's central bank, that the country's reserves are now vulnerable to a drop in the value of the dollar.

"The general trend for the U.S. dollar is continuously weakening," Yu said, speaking to reporters at a conference in Beijing last month. "Countries with huge foreign-exchange reserves will have their assets shrunken."

Last week, Hu Xiaolian, director of the foreign exchange administration, said China plans to "optimize the structure" of its reserves. Analysts took that to mean China would pursue a higher return than it can get from holding dollars by diversifying its reserves.

Not all economists anticipate negative repercussions for the U.S. economy. Were China and Japan to engineer a significant fall in the dollar, those nations also would suffer the consequences -- sharply diminished exports as Americans lose spending power, plus a drop in the value of their dollar assets.

"It is thus extremely unlikely that China would do anything to harm its own balance sheet," wrote Stephen Jen, an economist with Morgan Stanley, in a research note distributed Monday.

In 2005, the dollar rebounded against major foreign currencies as the Federal Reserve raised short-term interest rates -- making dollar assets relatively more attractive than others -- but has slid a bit early this year. Meanwhile, China continues to amass foreign-exchange reserves at a pace of roughly $15 billion per month.

Warnings about an impending Chinese sell-off in dollars emerged in July, as China slightly altered the way it sets the value of its currency, the yuan, bumping it up against the dollar by about 2 percent. At the time, China announced that it would gradually allow greater movement in the exchange rate -- something that has yet to materialize -- while also shifting from a system in which the yuan moves with changes in the dollar to one where it tracks a basket of currencies including the yen, the euro, the Hong Kong dollar and the South Korean won.

The move temporarily muted criticism on Capitol Hill from those who accuse China of currency manipulation, asserting that an artificially low yuan has made China's goods unfairly cheap on world markets. But as the implications of the new currency policy rippled out, some analysts suggested that China would thereafter have less need for dollars and greater need for the other currencies in the new basket, sending the greenback down and risking higher U.S. interest rates that would dampen economic growth.

China sought to quash such talk. In September, a senior central bank official told a ballroom full of international executives gathered in Beijing that China would not sell significant quantities of U.S. bonds, cognizant that such a move would "cause the price to plunge."

Even if a Chinese shift away from the dollar weakened the currency, that would probably not soothe tensions with those in Washington calling for an increase in the value of the yuan to help U.S. manufacturers. Unless China severs the link between the value of its currency and the dollar -- a move Beijing says could destabilize its economy -- then a weaker dollar would simply mean a weaker yuan as well, leaving in place the current debate over whether China's export earnings are being netted unfairly.

Special correspondent Eva Woo contributed to this report.

Bad bad bad! For us, that is.

I can't see this not leading to devaluation of the dollar, and a rise in interest rates. It will be a painful year for a lot of folks.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2006 04:09 pm
The USPTO (United States Patent and Trademark Office) has released a list of the top 10 companies receiving the most US patents for 2005.

In announcing the list, Under Secretary of Commerce for Intellectual Property Jon Dudas had this to say:

Quote:
America's technological and economic strength is the result of its tremendous ingenuity. The USPTO has taken and will continue to take aggressive steps that will enhance quality and improve productivity to ensure that U.S. intellectual property protection remains the best in the world, protecting American innovation and sustaining economic growth.

U.S. intellectual property protection ... protecting American innovation - the only problem is: 6 out of the 10 companies on the list are non-US companies: Canon, Matsushita, Samsung, Hitachi, Toshiba, and Fujitsu.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2006 08:26 pm
I think its a little premature to predict the demise of U.S. dominance, but I think it is in jeopardy. We need to turn around our educational system, but I don't look for it to happen when other things take priority over math and science. We created the most advanced industrialized society ever, following WWII, completely without a federal Department of Education. We've been reaping the benefits of this inertia for quite a number of years, but how long can we do that?
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 01:12 am
okie

The plutocracy of CEOs who sit on each other's boards don't quite invite confidence. I have bought shares and found CEOs write golden parachutes forthemselves while running the corporation to the ground. There need to be a reform in forbidding CEOs from being members in other corporate boards.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 10:13 am
talk72000 wrote:
okie

The plutocracy of CEOs who sit on each other's boards don't quite invite confidence. I have bought shares and found CEOs write golden parachutes forthemselves while running the corporation to the ground. There need to be a reform in forbidding CEOs from being members in other corporate boards.

There, perhaps a huge agreement between conservatives and liberals. I once worked for a corporation and saw the exact thing you speak of. Its been going on for a long long time, but I think we need some drastic reform in how corporations are overseen by boards, and how the boards operate, or something along that line. I am not anti-corporation at all. I just think boards of directors are not performing their jobs because they often are all the same people serving on each others boards, and the "if you scratch my back, I'll scratch yours" philosophy predominates. CEO's are way overrated, and are being paid way too much. Perhaps tax laws would be a way to attack the problem, or perhaps some other avenue would be effective. I have not thought about possible solutions enough to have an opinion on the best solution. Perhaps somebody needs to start a movement for some type of reform, so that it could become part of somebody's campaign platform, and maybe something could be done. I really do think it is one of the things that is a drag on the efficiency of business.
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 10:36 am
Europe's record on innovation '50 years behind US'

By Tobias Buck in Brussels
Published: January 12 2006 17:13 | Last updated: January 12 2006 17:13

The Innovation Scoreboard compares the performance of the 25 EU countries with the US, Japan and several other nations, and ranks them according to factors such as the number of science and engineering graduates, patents, research and development spending and exports of high-tech products. The survey finds that only four EU countries - Sweden, Finland, Denmark and Germany - can compete with the US and Japan in terms of their innovative abilities.

"The innovation gap between the EU25 and Japan is increasing and the one between EU and US is close to stable," the report notes. It adds that it would take more than 50 years to close the gap between the average EU performance and the current US level.

Commission officials said the innovation ranking was important because it looked beyond R&D spending to analyse the ability to transform basic research into marketable products - and therefore into jobs and economic growth.

Günter Verheugen, the EU industry commissioner, said: "The Innovation Scoreboard clearly shows that we have to do more for innovation. There is clear evidence that more innovative sectors tend to have higher productivity growth rates."

The EU's "disappointing" performance masks striking differences between the 25 member states: the Commission ranks Sweden, Finland, Denmark and Germany as "leading countries" and states including the UK, France and Italy as "average performers".

Portugal, the Czech Republic, Greece and others are "catching up", while states Spain and Poland are "losing ground".

Switzerland, which is not an EU member, comes second overall - ahead of both Japan and the US.

The UK and Ireland - which have recently boasted high economic growth rates, low unemployment and which regularly score highly in surveys examining countries' economic competitiveness - have both performed worse than in previous scoreboards. "The UK faces major challenges for knowledge creation. The slow improvement in the R&D base could be a cause for the negative trends for high-tech exports and employment in medium-high and high-tech manufacturing," the Commission writes.

Ireland, meanwhile, is told that it "must make the transition from an economy where foreign investment played a large role...to an economy based on innovation".

Dublin must, in particular, find ways to reverse the "consistent decline in business R&D spending".

Germany, despite its status as an "innovation leader", and a strong record for lifelong learning receives poor marks for its dearth of science and engineering students and for its comparatively poor levels of youth education.

The EU's largest economy is also chided for its population's reluctance to embrace innovative products and services.

The study can be found on http://www.trendchart.org/scoreboards/scoreboard2005/index.cfm
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 11:19 am
Thanks for the FT link, JW.

You are kindly invited to join us on the European Union thread!
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Sat 14 Jan, 2006 01:04 am
The CEOs do not innovate. It is the foreigners in the universities and research centers that do the actual R&D.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Sat 14 Jan, 2006 12:23 pm
Not to change the subject but I see where Chinese automobiles will enter the U.S. market in 2008. Personally, I think U.S. carmakers better kick their unions out pretty fast, re-negotiate pension plans, anything they can think of to streamline their companies, NOW, or they can kiss their companies goodbye by a few years down the road.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Thu 5 Oct, 2006 02:40 am
Bush's terrible economy is breaking records on Wall Street.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,217766,00.html
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 5 Oct, 2006 04:44 am
okie wrote:

Just for context: How long into the presidencies of Clinton, Bush I, and Reagan did it take until the Dow first broke its previous record? Without having looked at the data, I'd bet it took much less than six years for each of them.
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Thu 5 Oct, 2006 07:01 am
okie wrote:

Talk about economic ignorance. As the chart below illustrates, until Bush Jr got in office, the Dow Jones did nothing BUT break records every few weeks, since it was in a continuous process of going up almost all the time.

The fact that it took Bush's economy six years to go up from where it started is a disgrace.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v645/kelticwizard100/DowJones3Pres.gif
0 Replies

okie

Reply Thu 5 Oct, 2006 09:08 am
kelticwizard wrote:

Talk about economic ignorance. As the chart below illustrates, until Bush Jr got in office, the Dow Jones did nothing BUT break records every few weeks, since it was in a continuous process of going up almost all the time.

The fact that it took Bush's economy six years to go up from where it started is a disgrace.

Yeah, like I haven't been around for a while watching this stuff. My parents lived through the depression, keltic, so if you want to listen to how virtually everybody lives now compared to then, you need to listen to somebody that knows what they are talking about like them and remedy your own ignorance. By the way, how come your graph does not show the last month?
0 Replies

okie

Reply Thu 5 Oct, 2006 09:13 am
Thomas wrote:
okie wrote:

Just for context: How long into the presidencies of Clinton, Bush I, and Reagan did it take until the Dow first broke its previous record? Without having looked at the data, I'd bet it took much less than six years for each of them.

The point is, Thomas, that the Democrats cannot run against the economy because it isn't too bad, and the stock market is looking fairly good now. Some other sectors have looked good for a long while, and more people own their own homes in America than ever before. That is the American dream.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 5 Oct, 2006 09:14 am
Probably because it was made before the data came out.

It's sort of a misnomer to refer to these 'broken records' as a source of pride. The stock market hitting a new record used to be no big deal.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies