Where is the US economy headed?

woiyo

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 01:45 pm
@rabel22,
Compounding one mistake with another mistake usually does not solve the real problem.

I guess the HOPE/CHANGE for a responsible government was another lie from just an ordinary politician.
roger

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 01:49 pm
@woiyo,
Yes, I have never seen the time when covering up one mistake didn't lead to bigger problems.
Irishk

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 02:00 pm
@roger,
Just ask Richard Nixon Smile
plainoldme

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 03:03 pm
@Foofie,
How old are you? None of my kids would remember Golda.
plainoldme

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 03:05 pm
@plainoldme,
Why would they! Golda died in 1978, the year my oldest was born.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 03:26 pm
Judging by my casual TV-watching, an increasingly confident strain of common wisdom holds that America's high unemployment rate---9.5%---refutes the Keynesian case for stimulus. In that light, I thought it might be instructive to recall the Keynesian prognosis when Obama first outlined his stimulus plan.

On January 6---Obama hadn't even taken office yet---Paul Krugman looked at the numbers and found that the stimulus was a half-measure and didn't nearly accomplish what was needed. Summing up in the last paragraph of his post, Krugman predicted the following:

Paul Krugman wrote:
I see the following scenario: a weak stimulus plan, perhaps even weaker than what we’re talking about now, is crafted to win those extra GOP votes. The plan limits the rise in unemployment, but things are still pretty bad, with the rate peaking at something like 9 percent and coming down only slowly. And then Mitch McConnell says “See, government spending doesn’t work.”

Let’s hope I’ve got this wrong.

I don't think he got this wrong at all. Indeed his prognosis looks pretty accurate today. If there is an equally accurate January-2009 prediction by a conservative economist, I would sure appreciate a link to it.
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 03:43 pm
The biggest market decline in 300 years?!?

If Robert Prechter is right, one market analyst said, “we’ve basically got to go to the mountains with a gun and some soup cans.”

plainoldme

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 05:11 pm
@Irishk,
That will give us all the opportunity to meet David.
roger

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 05:14 pm
@Irishk,
That was the very first example that lept into my mind. I immediately went to more recent examples.
roger

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 05:14 pm
@plainoldme,
I'm 66 and remember Golda quite well.
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 05:31 pm
@plainoldme,
Awesome LOL

(How long does canned tuna last?)
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 05:34 pm
@roger,
Yep, plenty of recent examples. It's not the deed that gets you, it's the coverup Smile
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2010 08:33 am
Quote:
The nation's debt leapt $166 billion in a single day last week, the third-largest increase in U.S. history, and it comes at a time when Congress is balking over higher spending and debt has become a key policy battleground.

The one-day increase for June 30 totaled $165,931,038,264.30 - bigger than the entire annual deficit for fiscal year 2007 and larger than the $140 billion in savings the new health care bill will produce over its first 10 years. The figure works out to nearly $1,500 for every U.S. household, or more than 10 times the median daily household income.

Daily debt calculations jump and fall, and big shifts are common. But all three of the biggest one-day debt increases have occurred under the tenure of President Obama, and all of the top six have been in the past two years - an indication of just how quickly the pace of deficit spending has risen under Mr. Obama and President George W. Bush.

"What matters is the overall trend line, and the overall trend line is shooting up," said Robert Bixby, executive director of the Concord Coalition, a bipartisan deficit watchdog group, who said it is one more reason for a fiscal wake-up call.

Fears over red ink have stalled key parts of Mr. Obama's agenda in Congress in recent weeks, including his push for another round of stimulus spending. Just last week, House Democrats had to use a tricky parliamentary tactic to pass an emergency war-spending bill, aid for teachers and new spending caps.

On Wednesday, the Congressional Budget Office said the government has recorded a $1 trillion deficit for the first nine months of fiscal 2010, which began Oct. 1. That's slightly down from 2009's record $1.1 trillion deficit at this point.

CBO said revenues are doing slightly better this year than last year, while spending is down about $73 billion, mainly because the government made giant payments last year to bail out Wall Street, but did not have similar expenses this year. Other spending is higher, including unemployment benefits, which have jumped nearly 50 percent.

Deficits are the difference between what the government raises in revenue versus what it spends each year, while debt is the accumulation of those deficits over many years.

The Treasury Department calculates the country's debt position each day, and big rises and falls are not unusual. In fact, since hitting $13.203 trillion on June 30, the figure has since slipped $25 billion to settle at $13.178 trillion as of Tuesday, the latest day for which figures are available.

June 30 is always a major day for new debt, since debt held by one part of the government to another - for example, IOUs to the Social Security trust fund - are rolled over, a spokeswoman for the Bureau of the Public Debt said.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2010/jul/7/us-marks-3rd-largest-single-day-debt-boost/

That's progress I suppose.
talk72000

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2010 12:51 pm
@woiyo,
You need money tofixa problem. It needs a lot of money to fix the problem GWB created.
woiyo

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2010 12:55 pm
@talk72000,
Simple solution to a complex problem.

I see how Obama got elected with a thought process similar to yours.

I understand it is the best you and Obama can do. Deep thought on how to fix a complex spending habit is beyond the Obama administrations, and this Congress abilities.
talk72000

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2010 01:01 pm
@woiyo,
The Obama solution was brought about ecause of GWB eight years of misrule. Obama ha only been working at the solution for two years. GWB lacerated the US economy so badly that it could take maybe 12 years to fix. The moral to this scenario is not to vote vote for dumb ass like GWB.
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2010 01:03 pm
@woiyo,
Quote:
Deep thought on how to fix a complex spending habit is beyond the Obama administrations, and this Congress abilities.
An entire generation of Americans has demanded that Government provides services that they are not willing to pay for with taxes, and you want to lay that all on Obama??!!

Quite some fantasy world you've got going for yourself I see...
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2010 01:08 pm
@talk72000,
So, you're saying Bush didn't spend enough and Obama is fixing that. Boy, is he ever! When does it start working?
talk72000

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2010 01:14 pm
@roger,
GWB spent too much on the war and induced the housing industry to prop up the economy and with his unreliable Wall Street cohorts led to the financial meltdown.
woiyo

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2010 01:15 pm
@talk72000,
If I recall, Congress plays a role in "spending taxpayer dollars". If I recall, for the past 4 years, Democrats have been in control of Congress. Every spending bill put up buy the executive branch over the past 10 years has not only been rubber stamped by Congress, but expanded by Congress.

However, the BLAME BUSH GANG is still alive and well and offer that as their only excuse for their inability to reign in spending.
0 Replies