Where is the US economy headed?

Krumple

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2010 02:52 pm
@talk72000,
talk72000 wrote:

It is an economic hole - the looting by Wall Street bank executives of the wealth of ordinary workers thru the stockshares in corporations which plummeted.

This economic crisis has nothing to do with Wall Street. It is completely the work of the FED. All this other talk is just to divert the blame onto other people. The FED is a 100% responsible for the housing bubble and the current decline in jobs as well as inflation. The next bubble that is going to burst will be the bond market. As soon as that happens they will once again blame the consumers or foreign governments. Which will be nothing but lies.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2010 02:59 pm
@Krumple,
Quote:

This economic crisis has nothing to do with Wall Street. It is completely the work of the FED.

Rolling Eyes You don't know the first thing about what you speak of. The financial collapse is 100% the fault of companies who insanely over-leveraged themselves, with no care of the long-term consequences.

Cycloptichorn
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2010 03:04 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:
The financial collapse is 100% the fault of companies who insanely over-leveraged themselves, with no care of the long-term consequences.
it was everybody's fault, almost all of America was and still is looking for the fast buck, to feed our addiction to acquiring stuff with out concern towards sustainability or with who gets hurt.

The sad thing is that instead of learning that we are on the wrong track we are all looking to get "back to normal".

This lesson is not over yet....
ican711nm

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2010 03:17 pm
GWB dug a deep hole and Obama has made that a far deeper hole, and Obama continues to make it a deeper holr.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2010 03:26 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Quote:
The financial collapse is 100% the fault of companies who insanely over-leveraged themselves, with no care of the long-term consequences.
it was everybody's fault, almost all of America was and still is looking for the fast buck, to feed our addiction to acquiring stuff with out concern towards sustainability or with who gets hurt.

The sad thing is that instead of learning that we are on the wrong track we are all looking to get "back to normal".

This lesson is not over yet....

Oh, I agree; the lesson isn't over yet, and individual greed on the part of investors played it's role too.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2010 03:27 pm
@ican711nm,
When you try to take a bullet out of the flesh wound you need to dig deeper to to grasp the bullet to to pull it out. You need to sterilize everything and to give the guy a stick to put in his teeth when he shouts out of pain. The GOP need a something in their teeth to chew on while the bullet is taken out. They cry out at the slightest pain. Poor cry babies!
Krumple

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2010 03:35 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Quote:

This economic crisis has nothing to do with Wall Street. It is completely the work of the FED.

Rolling Eyes You don't know the first thing about what you speak of. The financial collapse is 100% the fault of companies who insanely over-leveraged themselves, with no care of the long-term consequences.

Cycloptichorn

So where did you hear this from? Fox News? CNN? You haven't taken any economics courses so I don't blame you for just blindly following things you heard on the news.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2010 03:38 pm
@Krumple,
Krumple wrote:

Cycloptichorn wrote:

Quote:

Cycloptichorn

So where did you hear this from? Fox News? CNN? You haven't taken any economics courses so I don't blame you for just blindly following things you heard on the news.

Who told you I've never taken any economics courses?

I've been studying the crisis for years and have probably forgotten more about it then you've ever heard. I certainly don't subscribe to the simplistic analysis that you think suffices.

Cycloptichorn
talk72000

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2010 07:42 pm
@Krumple,
Go to the topic 'How the Wall Street scams work' in the Finance forum.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2010 09:18 pm
@parados,
You addressed a person who never let common sense, let alone reality, get in his way.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2010 09:24 pm
@ican711nm,
What is a holr? Does Robert S. Lichter know about holr?
0 Replies

Krumple

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2010 09:25 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Krumple wrote:

Cycloptichorn wrote:

Quote:

Cycloptichorn

Who told you I've never taken any economics courses?

I've been studying the crisis for years and have probably forgotten more about it then you've ever heard. I certainly don't subscribe to the simplistic analysis that you think suffices.

Cycloptichorn

Not sure why I bother, it's like trying to talk to a five year old about economics.
ican711nm

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2010 10:55 am
@talk72000,
talk 72000 wrote:
When you try to take a bullet out of the flesh wound you need to dig deeper to to grasp the bullet to to pull it out. You need to sterilize everything and to give the guy a stick to put in his teeth when he shouts out of pain. The GOP need a something in their teeth to chew on while the bullet is taken out. They cry out at the slightest pain. Poor cry babies!

When a sugeon tries to remove or burn out a body cancer, he tries to remove or burn out little more than that part of the body containing the cancer.

When a doctor tries to kill a body cancer with a medicine, he presctibes a medicine that he thinks will cause less damage to the body than has the original cancer.

If either the surgeon or the doctor fail to limit the damage being done by their attempt to rescue their patients, the patient soon dies.

Poor patient and his or her crying family.

Obama's surgery and medicine to fix our economy are increasing the damage to our economy. In fact Obama has copied the surgery and medicine of his predecessor and expanded it.

Obama is not only repeating and expanding past failures, he is expecting a different result.

Albert Einstein said that expecting a different result from repetition of those methods that previously failed is insanity.

Poor leftist cry babies, we oppose your repeatedly failed methods. Don't cry! Just stop repeating what does not work and expecting a different result.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2010 11:17 am
@Krumple,
Right, right. The fact that you don't understand how big business' greed played into the financial crisis really means that YOU are the adult in this conversation.

Do you even understand how the Credit Default Swap market affected the problem, or what it is? Do you even know the basics behind what went wrong? Or do you just swallow the right-wing blogs assertion that it's the Government's fault whole, with no need for proof or attribution?

If you understand what's going on, lay out for us what went wrong in just a few of your own sentences. I bet you cannot do it.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2010 11:17 am
@ican711nm,

Quote:
we oppose your repeatedly failed methods. Don't cry! Just stop repeating what does not work and expecting a different result.

Then why aren't you picketing banks and stock brokers' offices? Why don't you stalk lobbyists? Why does the American right continue to champion the phantom free market? Why does the American right still think trickle down (sometimes known as, "Mine!") is still the answer?
plainoldme

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2010 11:20 am
@plainoldme,
This country has had moments . . . let me repeat, MOMENTS. . . of left or left-leaning leadership. It has largely been a right-leaning country and its 'conservatism' brought in the form of loose to non-existent regulations on the financial sector precipitated Depression I and Depression II.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2010 11:21 am
The current issue of Harvard Magazine has a forecast on the economy as its cover story. Will not have time to read it until tonight, after work. Will give capsule review tomorrow.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2010 11:46 am
@Krumple,
Krumple wrote:
The next bubble that is going to burst will be the bond market.

Oh yeah? What percentage of your life savings do you currently have invested in short options on the bond market? If you're right about what you so confidently assert here, shorting the bond market is an honest-to-goodness get-rich-quick scheme. Because the people on the bond market who put their money where their mouths are notably unconcerned about bonds collapsing. As we speak, thirty-year treasuries yield 4.4% a year---2.1% if they're inflation-protected. If the Fed is printing too much money, the bond market doesn't know yet.
ican711nm

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2010 03:05 pm
Quote:
Cancelled Health Plans, Cancelled Health Coverage, Higher Health Costs, Higher Federal Deficits: A 3-Month Checkup on ObamaCare

Three months after passage of the Democrats' wildly unpopular government healthcare takeover, nearly everything the Obama Administration said about the bill has turned out to be false, while the dire warnings of opponents were apparent understatements.

“Major U.S. employers like Caterpillar, John Deere, Verizon, and AT&T are considering dropping employee health plans; the Obama Administration has confirmed that two-out-of-three families will lose their current plan, smaller health insurers are shutting down, there’s not enough money to fund the high-risk pool, and we’re adding another $115 billion to the federal deficit that was concealed until after the bill became law,” says House Republican Conference Secretary John Carter. “Today is the three-month checkup on Obamacare, and the diagnosis is that the patient is dead as a doornail. The first duty of the new Congress in January must be repeal of this healthcare disaster.”
0 Replies

Krumple

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2010 03:08 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

Krumple wrote:
The next bubble that is going to burst will be the bond market.

Oh yeah? What percentage of your life savings do you currently have invested in short options on the bond market? If you're right about what you so confidently assert here, shorting the bond market is an honest-to-goodness get-rich-quick scheme. Because the people on the bond market who put their money where their mouths are notably unconcerned about bonds collapsing. As we speak, thirty-year treasuries yield 4.4% a year---2.1% if they're inflation-protected. If the Fed is printing too much money, the bond market doesn't know yet.

You can try to strong arm the argument if you want. I'm telling you that when it bursts it's going to be unexpected for one. Secondly people are going to be saying, "We had no idea this would happen." But you heard it right here, from me and it is going to happen.