Where is the US economy headed?

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2010 05:06 pm
@plainoldme,
plainoldme wrote:

I am going to apologize to you on behalf of massa who not only misquoted you but created a rather ridiculous political rap that said nothing.

I appreciate that, but you never need to worry about apologizing for something coming from someone who is worth less then the **** I scrape off my shoes. The person you are speaking with is probably the most notorious troll on A2K and hasn't earned the right to converse with me.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2010 05:06 pm
@MASSAGAT,
And Sir Winston also said that it was foolish to take on the Catholic Church.

And a number of other interesting things.
mysteryman

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2010 05:07 pm
@plainoldme,
Quote:
Did you know that during the last presidential election, people who volunteered to help the Republicans were given lists of addresses in different cities in order to write letters to the editor?

And of course you can provide documentation for this?
spendius

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2010 05:09 pm
@mysteryman,
Why would anybody need documentation?

It's an obvious trick to pull and is about 2,000 years old.
mysteryman

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2010 05:12 pm
@spendius,
POM specifically said the repubs did it in the last election.
He made the charge, so it is incumbent on him to prove it.
spendius

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2010 05:16 pm
@mysteryman,
I can't imagine anybody not doing it mm. Except maybe Mother Theresa.
MASSAGAT

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2010 05:20 pm
@spendius,
I am sure that he said many things. His books are filled with apt aphorisms. However, it is up to each reader to judge the applicability and probity of his comments in each case, don't you think?

My post stands!
MASSAGAT

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2010 05:26 pm
OOH! Plainoldme> I am stunned. Did you see how completely Cyclops wrote me off? So bitter and cynical? I wonder why his comment is so strident?

He said:

I appreciate that, but you never need to worry about apologizing for something coming from someone who is worth less then the **** I scrape off my shoes. The person you are speaking with is probably the most notorious troll on A2K and hasn't earned the right to converse with me.

He has, of course, the right to his opinion, even though it is ad hominem. You may wish to get some guidance on the crediblity of his strong statement from the fine thread that talks about "trolls:. You may find that some people, Cyclops for one, think this is a "clug" where dissident opinions are not allowed.

Of course, if Cyclops were really as brilliant and knowledgeable as he thinks he is, he could destroy my ideas with a couple of stunning paragraphs. I wait for his masterly answers but there are none.

Now,you have his opinion above--It is, of course, a clear "ad hominem".

My opinion( I am entitled to one, of course) is that Cyclops never attempts to take me on because he knows he cannot since I have bested him many times in the past.

well, carry on!!!
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2010 05:29 pm
@spendius,
True. I couldn't count the phone calls I got from various extentions of the Republican party before the last election.
spendius

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2010 05:34 pm
@MASSAGAT,
Quote:
My post stands!

It's on the previous page and thus has been exterminated.
mysteryman

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2010 05:39 pm
This is interesting.
A NH DEMOCRAT state rep says "2 nukes werent enough" when talking about Japan.

I thought that it was only the repubs that were hateful (according to the left).
Even worse, he is supposed to have posted it on Facebook.

http://www.fark.com/cgi/vidplayer.pl?IDLink=5150818
Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2010 05:45 pm
@mysteryman,
Dude, what does this have to do with the economy?

It seems like you just look for whatever thread you can drop a 'gotcha' about the Democrats into... is there no deeper insight coming from MM these days?

Cycloptichorn
realjohnboy

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2010 05:47 pm
@mysteryman,
I am not sure what that has to do, mm, with the topic here. But there is a lot of stuff going on I am not sure of. Carry on.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2010 06:13 pm
@mysteryman,
WEDNESDAY, SEP 24, 2008 03:45 EDT
How ghost-writing letters to the editor for McCain works
Salon asked Margriet Oostveen for proof that she had ghost-written letters to the editor for the McCain campaign. Here are the guidelines, talking points, and sample letters she was given.
BY MARK SCHONE
On Sept. 13, journalist Margriet Oostveen published a column in the Dutch newspaper NRC Handelsblad detailing how she had ghost-written letters to the editor on behalf of, and at the behest of, John McCain's presidential campaign. (The Dutch version of her column is here; Salon's English translation is here.) Among the letters Oostveen says she wrote is one in which she pretended to be the mother of a soldier serving in Iraq.
Salon requested documentary proof from Oostveen. Below, on Page 1, is a redacted e-mail from a McCain staffer to Oostveen about letter writing, as well as the sample letter that was attached to it. The sample was meant to be an example of a "good letter to the editor that concentrates on our support for Gov. Palin." On Page 2 are three more letters that Oostveen says a different McCain campaign worker gave her as examples of the style of letters she should write. On Page 3 is a set of guidelines for writing letters that Oostveen says was given to her by Phil Tuchman, who is mentioned in her column. On Page 4 and 5 are two pages of talking points that Oostveen says she was given by the campaign. On Page 6 are three examples of letters Oostveen says she wrote and gave to the campaign so they could be sent to McCain supporters in battleground states, including the Iraq letter. According to Oostveen, a McCain staffer told her that supporters would be invited to pick and sign letters. After that the letters would be mailed to local newspapers.
Salon has no evidence that any of the letters Oostveen wrote were ever published, in their original or adapted form, as letters to the editor in newspapers.
Gail Gitcho, a spokeswoman for the McCain campaign, said that Oostveen did not properly identify herself to campaign workers in Arlington. "She did not represent herself as a journalist to the people who work in the mid-Atlantic office." Oostveen, who also wrote a column about an earlier stint phone-banking for the McCain campaign, says she twice explained to different workers in the Arlington campaign office that she might be using her experiences as a volunteer in her columns for the NRC Handelsblad.

The text of the attached sample letter:

Dear Editor:

Sarah Palin's selection by John McCain completes the dream ticket the American people have prayed for to clean up national politics. She brings to the Republican ticket the character, integrity, and depth of experience to produce real change in Washington. Her executive experience challenging corruption and special interests in resource-rich Alaska -- even within her own party -- produced landmark ethics reform legislation while promoting development of energy resources. Her veto cut budgetary spending, and she refused $400 million federal taxpayer dollars to fund the infamous "bridge to nowhere." Palin's courageous presence with Alaska National Guard serving in harm's way serves her well as a potential Commander-in-Chief of the United States military forces, and saying goodbye to her own son deploying to Iraq lets every mother know she understands their concerns. While Barack Obama spent his time crafting his personal story with votes of "present" in the Illinois House and campaigning for President during his first U.S. Senate term, Palin had boots-on-the-ground proving her executive ability to lead. McCain-Palin get my vote for their willingness to force the REAL CHANGE to return Washington to representing the Americans who elected them.

More sample letters:
Guidelines for writing letters to the editor:
plainoldme

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2010 06:16 pm
@plainoldme,
http://www.salon.com/news/primary_sources/2008/09/24/mccain_letters/4.gif

Sorry, but the remainder of the article will not allow itself to be cut and pasted.
0 Replies

MASSAGAT

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2010 06:24 pm
@roger,
Me too , Roger. But the nerve of those people to plan to fill the papers with letters. Why not do it the easy way. Put some of Obama's goons from Acorn in front of the polling places. That will work far better than any letter writing( sic) campaign.
0 Replies

MASSAGAT

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2010 06:25 pm
@spendius,
Perhaps, Spendius, but, as a quote from a famous man, it can be replicated if necessary, don't you think?
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2010 06:44 pm
@plainoldme,
plainoldme wrote:
I think that one of the problems is that people just can not afford to buy anything. I had to tell my family that there would be no presents for Christmas 2008. When Christmas 2009 rolled around, I told my kids that I wouldn't be able to buy them anything but that I could afford presents for my granddaughters. I did buy a token present for each adult child, generally under $10.

I also think that since the Baby Boomers are becoming senior citizens, that, like most seniors, they need fewer things. While we do have kids and grandkids to buy things for, we also have less money with which to make purchases.

My parents, and perhaps some of yalls, went through the Depression and then WW2 and then the post war growth where the idea of owning a house in the suburbs and 2 cars was considered a measure of success. The suburbs sprawled and the car companies were fat and happy, even if the quality of their product was not so great. The shopping centers leapfrogged over each other, getting further and further out.
There was, I think, also a fear of the inner city and the minorities who lived there.
The first fissure in the notion of this being Camelot came with the big spike in gas prices in the 1970's. And then, I would contend, the children of us baby boomers rebelled at spending hours in their cars commuting to work and back at the expense of spending time with family.
I can, if pressed, get into the spitting match re Freddie & Fannie, mortgage brokers, banks etc. Who bears the blame? Part of it comes down to "musical chairs." The allure of suburbia changed and the folks out there got stuck.
Instead, I would go back to plainoldme's quote above. Us old farts, our children and our now adult grandchildren have an entirely different mindset about where we want to live and how much and where we buy stuff. And the grandkids are holding off on having children, I think.
Did yall know that we in the U.S. have twice as much square footage of retail space per capita then anywhere else. We are going to have a commercial real estate meltdown within a year or two well beyond what you have already seen.
That will be a real drag on employment.
I appreciate that some here are quick to assign blame to someone or the other. That strikes me as rather naive at best.
Real(long post)johnboy
plainoldme

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2010 07:05 pm
@realjohnboy,
Several years ago,the Boston Globe ran an article that said that we had 30% more retail outlets than were needed to efficiently distribute goods. I have posted this before and some people who are here on this thread told me the figure meant nothing.

But it points to a real problem in the US.

I have written to a couple of economists I know . . . one is a long time friend who now teaches at our alma mater and the other teaches at Harvard . . . because I have some questions that need a professional's response.

Let me point out a few more things: That when the first year of the Baby Boom graduated from college, we were in the middle of the Vietnam War and there were no jobs.

Left wing students looked forward to living the same life style as our blue collar parents but in stimulating professional jobs that we worked part-time while husbands and wives shared in homekeeping and childrearing. Of course, industry would not allow that. No, no, you must work 40 hours each week because it is tradition!

However, we did in part because of the feminist movement and in part because the Pill allowed us to become pregnant when we wanted to.

During the mid-to-late 70s, the Baby Boomers hit the housing market and the price of domicile went through the roof as people vied to secure not just nice homes in good condition but homes in towns with the best school systems. Think of what the BB is . . . the result of the greatest homecoming since Ulysses. We chased houses and the market bloomed.

That's enough for now.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2010 07:08 pm
@realjohnboy,
Quote:
We are going to have a commercial real estate meltdown within a year or two well beyond what you have already seen.

Come on old man, get with the program....Our US Treasury Secretary just today said that this problem will be managed. And we all know that we can trust these boys to run our economy, they know what they are doing and they always look out for us.

right?

*sarcasm*