Where is the US economy headed?

spendius

Reply Sun 9 Feb, 2014 03:04 pm
@parados,
Quote:
It's an interesting chart because it also shows how much the interest on debt is costing us each year.

All you need do is increase productivity to keep up with it. The first fruits of settled agriculture were such that the population increased which then required increases in productivity. We have been rolling the stone up the mountain ever since. It's getting steeper now because the increases in the population expect to consume more. And more. It looks like they can't get enough of it in fact.
So get your lazy arses in gear lads.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 9 Feb, 2014 03:05 pm
@hawkeye10,
Your memory is also lacking. I wrote earlier on this page,
Quote:
Current budgets must be approved by congress; they have control of the purse strings.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 9 Feb, 2014 03:25 pm
@spendius,
Mighty fine. Production increases at the same rate as debt, so debt can remain a constant percentage of production. Sometimes, economies contract. The debt remains.
spendius

Reply Sun 9 Feb, 2014 03:29 pm
@roger,
They don't contract when your arses are in gear. Not when done properly I mean.
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 9 Feb, 2014 04:10 pm
this should scare the hell out of retailers

http://www.forexlive.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/WSJ-chart-on-demand.png

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lnz255hejX1qj8wbw.png

It is only a matter of time before massive amounts of capacity are shed, to stand derelict, like all of the abandoned manufacturing plants still sitting in the rust belt a decade or two after being closed.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 9 Feb, 2014 05:27 pm
@hawkeye10,
Here's another look by the Department of Commerce on 2013 vs 2012 December sales.
http://i1031.photobucket.com/albums/y375/imposter222/20131040p2122_zpseb19ae52.jpg

Both the TOTAL and RETAIL sales shows a 4% increase.
Rickoshay75

Reply Sun 9 Feb, 2014 05:41 pm
@Setanta,
We at least need someone as President who is able to count past ten without removing his or her shoes and socks. >>

Why don't you listen to Obama's speeches and make up your own mind?
Rickoshay75

Reply Sun 9 Feb, 2014 05:48 pm
@farmerman,
The bad news is that even with todays rise, the stock market is trending down>>

So What! The stock market goes up and down and nobody really knows why or for what reason.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sun 9 Feb, 2014 05:50 pm
@Rickoshay75,
I listened to Obarmy's speeches before he was ever elected.

Did you hear something I didn't.

Share it.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 9 Feb, 2014 06:45 pm
@cicerone imposter,
The upper a middle class are taking cheap loans and buying cars, subtract that and 2013 sales were up 3.2%, subtract 1.5% inflation and we get 1.7 increase. It gets even more fun when you look closer at the numbers and see that the upper classes are ramping up consumption and the middle and lower classes are ramping down. Since almost all of the retailers I come into contact with sell to the middle and lower classes the almost universal opinion on this economy is that it sucks.
0 Replies

IRFRANK

Reply Sun 9 Feb, 2014 08:45 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
a combination of the inability to raise enough tax rev to pay for all the "free" crap that people demand

Right, and military spending isn't notable. Over 40 percent of spending. The debt of the USA goes back to Reagan's spending on the military. But it's those stupid welfare mothers that are the problem.

0 Replies

IRFRANK

Reply Sun 9 Feb, 2014 08:47 pm
@Advocate,
Quote:
amazing that the Reps never learn this lesson.

They know better, they have just learned to distract people.
0 Replies

IRFRANK

Reply Sun 9 Feb, 2014 08:50 pm
@hawkeye10,
That chart is a waste of time. Why include household debt?
0 Replies

IRFRANK

Reply Sun 9 Feb, 2014 08:53 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
Making debt part of the never ending mostly useless D/R skirmish is a pointless diversion,

Usually I would agree with that, but, the repubs blame the Dems when in fact they caused it themselves. The details are important.
IRFRANK

Reply Sun 9 Feb, 2014 08:57 pm
@spendius,
Quote:
@roger,
They don't contract when your arses are in gear. Not when done properly I mean.

There have been gains in productivity in the last 30 years. Mainly from computing. Part of our employment problem is loss of low skilled jobs.

The stock market performed great last year.
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 9 Feb, 2014 09:04 pm
@IRFRANK,
IRFRANK wrote:

Quote:
Making debt part of the never ending mostly useless D/R skirmish is a pointless diversion,

Usually I would agree with that, but, the repubs blame the Dems when in fact they caused it themselves. The details are important.

R's and D's are in sustained agreement on running up government debt, encouraging corporate debt, and discouraging anyone from saving money. The lack of objection to current policy from D's, to include vote counts on the laws that sustain it, make your assertions that this is all the R's fault ridiculous.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 9 Feb, 2014 09:29 pm
@IRFRANK,
True; US produced the most per worker the past 30-years, but they didn't participate in the company's profit as they should have, and most of the benefits went to the CEO's and Officers of the company. Greed took over the top echelon in most companies; they don't need millions every month to survive in this world; their share have increased 400-fold while the workers barely kept up with inflation. What they all fail to understand is that by sharing the profit of the company with all workers helps everybody with more jobs and increased profit.

Some say the stock market increased by 30% in 2013; one of the best performance since 2009. The 64-thousand dollar question for most investors is how will the stock market perform this year.

IRFRANK

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2014 05:25 pm
@hawkeye10,
Look at the charts. The one from the CBO which does not include irrelevant dat. Looks like we need another Clinton in office.
0 Replies

IRFRANK

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2014 05:28 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
Some say the stock market increased by 30% in 2013; one of the best performance since 2009. The 64-thousand dollar question for most investors is how will the stock market perform this year.

Yes, that is the question and the market is due for a correction. But it's still a good bet for growth. And you're right, the problem today is that the money is not 'trickling down'. I stand by my previous comments that training and education is the answer. It must be affordable.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2014 05:31 pm
@IRFRANK,
Germany is wise; they have apprentice programs in companies to train people not interested in going to college. We could do that here, and get more people working.
0 Replies