Where is the US economy headed?

reasoning logic

Reply Fri 10 Aug, 2012 02:51 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
Provide us with some direct examples?

I can only guess that this is what he thinks is analytical news reporting.

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 10 Aug, 2012 03:25 pm
@reasoning logic,
Just watched a minute of that clip, and decided it's not worth my time.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Mon 13 Aug, 2012 08:19 pm
I have 2 questions for those worried about what Mitt might do to the economy and about Bain.

How many people have jobs now because of the actions of Bain, and how many people have lost their jobs because of the current admins actions, either directly or indirectly?
BillRM

Reply Mon 13 Aug, 2012 08:27 pm
@mysteryman,
Quote:
and how many people have lost their jobs because of the current admins
actions, either directly or indirectly?

You tell us with special note that we are still manufacturing cars in the US with all the people directly and indirectly employ by that industry.

If it had been up to the GOP we would have needed to import all our cars forever more.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Wed 15 Aug, 2012 04:56 pm
Nerd Alert.
The Consumer Price Index (W) Came Out Today For July, 2012
I've written about it before because it is the one used in determining how much, if any, of an increase there will be in Social Security benefits for the next calendar year.
The index for July was 225.568 which is the lowest reading since February.
By comparison, the index for the 1st Qtr came in at 224.612 while the 2nd Qtr was 226.612.
The 3rd Qtr (July, Aug, Sept) number compared to last year's 3rd Qtr is the one to watch. The "number to beat" is 223.233.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 15 Aug, 2012 05:00 pm
@realjohnboy,
Consumer spending was up last month. We can hope this trend continues for the next several months. It's one of the measurements economists use to determine how our economy is performing.

My stock funds have increased by almost 10% for YTD.

It's one of the major calculations to determine the future growth of our economy; investors are showing some confidence.
spendius

Reply Wed 15 Aug, 2012 05:09 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Well--there's an election coming up ci.

I have often asked you what a job is and you have invariably responding by "there's no cure for stupid". Like when a Furby is tickled and it farts.

Anyway--as a result of our jobless total being decreased in a shrinking economy Newsnight devoted its top of the programme to a discussion about what constitutes a job.

What's a job ci?
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 15 Aug, 2012 05:11 pm
@spendius,
Look up "job" in your dictionary. It's also my definition.
spendius

Reply Wed 15 Aug, 2012 05:11 pm
@spendius,
A "zero hour" contract is now officially a job.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 15 Aug, 2012 05:12 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Dictionaries don't do economics.

What's a job? Never mind the flim-flam. That only works with kids.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 15 Aug, 2012 05:21 pm
@cicerone imposter,
spendi, Give it up; you'll never get any definition from me for "job" or any other word that is easily found in any dictionary.

You are a fool.
mysteryman

Reply Thu 16 Aug, 2012 08:22 am
If Obama wins and the economy hasn't fecovered, who is he going to blame it on?
Is he going to claim he inherited it from the previous admin?
parados

Reply Thu 16 Aug, 2012 08:23 am
@mysteryman,
Perhaps you should listen to real economists MM instead of RW pundits. The recovery will take a long time. The recovery is from the 2008 recession.
mysteryman

Reply Thu 16 Aug, 2012 09:28 am
@parados,
I don't dispute when the recession was, I am simply remembering the 08 campaign. Obama blamed Bush, and rightfully so, for the recession. I am wondering who he is gonna blame if he wins. The economic
e policies of his admin have been in play since 09, so he can't blame Bush this time.
So, who will he blame if his policies don't do what he promised?
parados

Reply Thu 16 Aug, 2012 09:34 am
@mysteryman,
Which polices have been in place? The GOP has blocked just about everything.

I can see if we had an economic stimulus as large as recommended by economists and we were still in this position. But instead he had to scale back and the congress has not passed anything he has requested for the economy in the last 3 years.

The President is not a dictator. Please tell us which specific policies he has actually implemented that you think are causing the continuing problems.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Thu 16 Aug, 2012 11:02 am
@parados,
parados wrote:

Perhaps you should listen to real economists MM instead of RW pundits. The recovery will take a long time. The recovery is from the 2008 recession.

There are many economists out there and most don't agree with Krugman.

The most unusual thing aabout the recovery from the 2008 recession is that it is taking so long . We've seen a highly unusual and very slow recovery despite continued deficit speding at a high and growing level and sustained very high unemploument accompanied with a growing fraction of adults suimply dropping out of the workforce.

To what do you attribute these unusual characteristics?
spendius

Reply Thu 16 Aug, 2012 11:02 am
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
Give it up; you'll never get any definition from me for "job" or any other word that is easily found in any dictionary.

The experts in the Newsnight studio have a dictionary to consult. And yet they spent 20 minutes on what is a job. With no conclusion.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 16 Aug, 2012 11:17 am
@parados,
I think there is no recovery. But there might be an illusion of one leading up to the next crisis.

I read an interesting quote from Thomas Jefferson to the effect that the American prefers clearing another acre of ground rather than manuring the last one. He didn't say what happens when the Pacific is reached.

The driver for going west was a shortage of ****. The saviour was getting fertiliser and pesticides from crude oil. Which leaves a large volume of gas as a bi-product and the motorist was invented to make it disappear. Along with a few other things.
spendius

Reply Thu 16 Aug, 2012 11:20 am
@spendius,
The motorist as substitute **** shifter paying for the privilege.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3uvzcY2Xug
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 16 Aug, 2012 11:59 am
@georgeob1,
The reasons the recovery is taking much longer are many. Some of them are the cause of the real estate implosion. Consumers can no longer use their homes as a piggy bank. Middle class wages have been stagnant since 2008, and many lost their jobs. When wages and benefits are reduced for the middle class, that's going to hurt consumer spending.

There's a world recession going on with the Euro countries trying to save their currency. Their unemployment is higher than ours which results in less imports from the US. When world demand drops for goods and services, all economies are impacted. Jobs in the US also depend on world demand; it's now a world economy, and thinking in terms of isolation is unrealistic.

Not many may agree with Krugman, but if they don't agree with him, they need to spell out what their disagreements are. Ad hominems are useless tools of debate.