What has modern physics brought us actually?

mark noble

Tue 7 Aug, 2018 12:23 pm
@roger,
That's 'Basic'.
You appear to have no discernment between basic measuring principles and advanced physics.
Because I can engineer a windmill doesn't mean I can circumnavigate the galaxy.
Roger - You are not of any use to any poster on this site - I get that your time (Invested) here enhances your 'self' identity - But noone gives a toss about those who type bollux just to read themselves.
No wonder this site is abundantly void.

Everpresent Roger.
namaste
maxdancona

Tue 7 Aug, 2018 02:05 pm
@mark noble,
I always enjoy reading what Roger writes.
mark noble

Tue 7 Aug, 2018 02:13 pm
@maxdancona,
You enjoy any posts that are contrary to mine.
I could help you with your 'disorder', should you ever require.
maxdancona

Tue 7 Aug, 2018 03:31 pm
@mark noble,
Don't flatter yourself Mark. I push back at the ignorant anti-science views that you write. And, I don't see any need for you to attack Roger that way.

I don't have anything against you personally.
OldGrumpy

Wed 8 Aug, 2018 07:48 am
Transistor without knowing quantum bollocks:

Quote:

Lilienfield Acknowledged As Pioneer

In an address to the American Institute of Physics in 1988, Bardeen acknowledged the great credit due Lilienfeld for his pioneering efforts to make the semiconductor amplifier. In the 1920s,

Lilienfeld could not have understood the physics of the field-effect semiconductor amplifier, as the quantum theory of solids was still several years away.

Nevertheless, he had a good intuitive feel for a new approach to electronics. In Bardeen’s own words, “Lilienfeld had the basic concept of controlling the flow of current in a semiconductor to make an amplifying device. It took many years of theory development and material technology to make his dream a reality.”
Leadfoot

Fri 10 Aug, 2018 12:31 pm
@OldGrumpy,
I suspect you are right that the transistor was or could have been developed without knowing QM.
We certainly knew about semiconductors first (diodes). It was only logical that someone would futz around with a hunk of semiconductor and try adding a third electrode to see what effects would result. If you look at the very first point contact transistor (Bell Labs) that looks exactly what happened. The theory is often fleshed out later in order to file a patent application.

Way more than Silly Putty was discovered by such futzing around in labs and garages.
OldGrumpy

Fri 10 Aug, 2018 01:35 pm
@Leadfoot,
Quote:
I suspect you are right that the transistor was or could have been developed without knowing QM.
We certainly knew about semiconductors first (diodes). It was only logical that someone would futz around with a hunk of semiconductor and try adding a third electrode to see what effects would result. If you look at the very first point contact transistor (Bell Labs) that looks exactly what happened. The theory is often fleshed out later in order to file a patent application.

Way more than Silly Putty was discovered by such futzing around in labs and garages.

If you do research you will find out that really NOTHING was made because of 'modern physics' or science. not the computer, not the smartphone, not the rongten, not wireless, the list is endless.

Quote:
The theory is often fleshed out later in order to file a patent application.

At firts Bell Lab's couldn't patent the transistor because of the patent by
Lilienfield. (What else is new?)

Try checking out the Nobel Prize winners, nearly all frauds, liers and thiefs!
Go ahead.
fresco

Sat 11 Aug, 2018 01:01 am
@OldGrumpy,
Have you tried getting a life ?
OldGrumpy

Sat 11 Aug, 2018 02:09 am
@fresco,
yes, didn't work! Wink

Maybe I am retired , who knows!
0 Replies

maxdancona

Tue 14 Aug, 2018 12:02 pm
@Leadfoot,
Of course this is ridiculous, and if you did the slightest bit of googling you would know it was ridiculous.

William Shockley had a PhD from MIT. John Bardeen had one from Princeton. Walter Brattain from University of Minnosota. All of these men were educated in modern Physics (which certainly included Quantum Mechanics at the time). All of them based their theses on subjects related to Quantum Mechanics.

These were not some amateurs futzing around with semiconductors to see what happened. These were highly educated Physicists from prestigious Universities with doctorates who were doing directed research based on the their scientific expertise.

I don't know why I am even saying this... but to pretend that education isn't a very important part of doing Physics is ridiculous.
OldGrumpy

Tue 14 Aug, 2018 12:12 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
Of course this is ridiculous, and if you did the slightest bit of googling you would know it was ridiculous.

William Shockley had a PhD from MIT. John Bardeen had one from Princeton. Walter Brattain from University of Minnosota. All of these men were educated in modern Physics (which certainly included Quantum Mechanics at the time). All of them based their theses on subjects related to Quantum Mechanics.

These were not some amateurs futzing around with semiconductors to see what happened. These were highly educated Physicists from prestigious Universities with doctorates who were doing directed research based on the their scientific expertise.

I don't know why I am even saying this... but to pretend that education isn't a very important part of doing Physics is ridiculous.

Hmmmm you really don't seem to get it eh? That those people were 'educated'
(into many wrong things), but so what?

It is crystal clear that the transistor was NOT, I repeat NOT invented by
those Bell Lab's people but by people outside academics and much earlier.

You seem to be under the impression that 'modern physics' is responsible for a lot of 'technology'. But if you have an open mind and do your reseach you really will find out that NOTHING has come out of 'modern physics' because
EVERYTHING that is claimed to be of 'modern physics' was made way earlier
and WITHOUT academia.
(Mention one thing and I can guarantee that it was there way way way before 'modern physics'!)
Those "modern physics" idiots really live in ivory towers, and steel patents and ideas. NOTHING ELSE. Their job is only good to get some money for the grocery and to keep those idiots from the streets.

I can give you a whole list with a lot of things that are claimed by "modern physics" but really haven't anything to do with academic 'modern science"

Like computers etc.
fresco

Tue 14 Aug, 2018 11:39 pm
@OldGrumpy,
Well done. You caught a couple of fish ! Laughing
OldGrumpy

Tue 14 Aug, 2018 11:42 pm
@fresco,
how so?
fresco

Tue 14 Aug, 2018 11:55 pm
@OldGrumpy,
...with your kid's fishing rod !
OldGrumpy

Wed 15 Aug, 2018 03:48 am
@fresco,
very strange reaction indeed. anything of substance?
fresco

Wed 15 Aug, 2018 04:40 am
@OldGrumpy,
....as much substance as your fishing tackle ! Wink
OldGrumpy

Wed 15 Aug, 2018 06:05 am
@fresco,
Really, show me where exactly.
maxdancona

Wed 15 Aug, 2018 07:38 am
@OldGrumpy,
OldGrumpy wrote:

Really, show me where exactly.

Fresco is not really talking to you Grumpy.... I get what he is saying Wink
OldGrumpy

Wed 15 Aug, 2018 07:39 am
@maxdancona,
ic he isn't saying a thing, right?
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Wed 15 Aug, 2018 08:53 am
@maxdancona,
Quote:

All bow before the mighty edifice of Formal Education! . All those refusing to bow will be banished to burger flipping at McDonalds.
0 Replies