Making Pasta

Sugar

Reply Thu 27 Feb, 2003 03:06 pm
My mother bought me a pasta maker a couple of years ago and I haven't used it. Now, I know I might be better off just making the dough and rolling it through a metal pasta roller thingy, but I don't have one of those.

So, anyone out there have one of those pasta makers that mixes it and has the little disks on it? How'd it go? Any tips?

I also don't know how to dry or keep pasta. Should I invest in those wooden drying racks? Should I only make it if I plan on cooking it right away?

How about ravioli? I know I have to lay it out and everything - any tips on how to make it? Maybe filled with meats or good cheeses with walnuts or veggies?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,471 • Replies: 2
No top replies

JerryR

Reply Thu 27 Feb, 2003 08:18 pm
Hiya Sug,

The machine you have is a pasta extruder, which means that it forces the mixed dough through those little discs to make the various shapes.
This method is best for pasta that you'd dry first, then cook. I have one, don't use it very much but when I have, I've been happy with the result. The important thing is to make sure that you're using the right kind of flour (usually a blend of hard wheat durum and semolina), and that your proportion of ingredients is correct.
If you want to make sheet pasta for ravioli, or or stracci, tagliolini etc. The best method is a hand mixed dough, that you'd run through a rolling/cutting machine, like the hand cranked ones, or to roll irt and cut it by hand. I have the attachment for my kitchenaid mixer, I use it alot, and I love it.
Stuffed pastas are fun to make, and big crowd pleasers. I did a party at Christmas and made chestnut ravioli that were served under seared duck,..mmmmm., and the family I work for is always asking me to make these truffled lobster and sweet corn ravioli that I make in the summer time. Very Happy
0 Replies

bigdice67

Reply Fri 28 Feb, 2003 08:14 am
Hey, jerry, it's almost summer when we meet in Florida... Can you make us some of them lobster ravioli??? Puh-leaze!!! I'll help ya!
0 Replies