Shep Smith: Journalists are not the enemy of the people

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 4 Aug, 2018 07:57 pm
@revelette1,
Trump does not understand his responsibilities as president of this country. Don't expect normal from him. You'll only be disappointed. The next two years are going to seem like eternity.
glitterbag

Reply Sat 4 Aug, 2018 08:22 pm
@cicerone imposter,
He doesn’t take responsibility for anything. He’s incapable of of feeling anything other than the preening of his ego.
0 Replies

Below viewing threshold (view)
vikorr

Reply Sat 4 Aug, 2018 11:22 pm
So Brandon9000 hasn't actually answered my question...what percentage of Anti-trump articles is Trump calling 'fake news'?

Or perhaps it would be easier to ask "What percentage of criticism of Trump, does Trump consider to be fake news"?
Briancrc

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2018 09:59 am
@vikorr,
I don't think Trump's lack of nuance factors in much. Trump apologists have been taught by their "news sources" to treat errors or occasional misinformation as equivalent to planned disinformation campaigns. In addition to the inability to tell the difference between planned and unplanned errors, we have people like SHS telling the press corps that Trump is just expressing his opinion, when any common sense understanding of the English language in the context of one's boss saying something should happen, the likeliest interpretation would be that you are being told to take the action. If one wants to challenge that premise, then don't do what your boss says you should do, and then tell the boss that you thought it was just an expressed opinion.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2018 10:29 am
@Briancrc,
Fortunately for us, there are several organizations that keep track of Trump's lies.
Trump Organization.
The PolitiFact scorecard
True27 (5%)(27)
Mostly True68 (12%)(68)

Half True87 (15%)(87)
Mostly False128 (22%)(128)
False192 (33%)(192)
Pants on Fire85 (14%)(85)

In essence, you can trust Trump about 17% of the time. Not a good average for anyone.
livinglava

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2018 08:54 am
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

Fortunately for us, there are several organizations that keep track of Trump's lies.
Trump Organization.
The PolitiFact scorecard
True27 (5%)(27)
Mostly True68 (12%)(68)

Half True87 (15%)(87)
Mostly False128 (22%)(128)
False192 (33%)(192)
Pants on Fire85 (14%)(85)

In essence, you can trust Trump about 17% of the time. Not a good average for anyone.

And who can tell you whether these rating organizations are accurate or biased and using their analyses to spin their own political positions?
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2018 08:56 am
Journalists are an unfairly powerful unelected arm of political parties.
revelette1

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2018 12:38 pm
@Lash,
In the past few months, Fox News has aired live over 11 hours of Trump rallies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2018 12:44 pm
@revelette1,
pretty much a private network there Mad
revelette1

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2018 12:58 pm
@ehBeth,
The more worrisome news corporation is Sinclair. They have bought up local news stations which flood local area news with a conservative slant.

Find Sinclair

Quote:
When you turn on your local news, you don't expect to be exposed to stealth right-wing propaganda. But that's exactly what one massive media corporation — Sinclair Broadcast Group — is fighting to make a reality all over the United States.

Sinclair already owns nearly 200 local news stations across the country, and now, it's on the verge of acquiring even more with the help of President Trump's Federal Communications Commission (FCC).

Sinclair runs local TV stations that are affiliated with major broadcast networks, like ABC or CBS, so you may not realize that Sinclair uses these stations to push right-wing lies into your normal newscast.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2018 06:10 pm
@revelette1,
That is proof of my statement.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2018 07:50 pm
@revelette1,
revelette1 wrote:
Bernie Sanders has never referred to any group of people as "enemies." Bernie Sanders had a responsibility to his supporters to express non violence and I believe he did. Moreover, Trump has an awful lot of influence among a certain sect of our society and he knows it well. This is his way of dismissing unflattering news against him but it could incite violence. As President he has a responsibility to protect and serve all Americans even "enemies of the people" more commonly known as the free press.

Please cite one case in which president Trump has called the free press the enemy of the people.
engineer

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2018 07:54 pm
@Brandon9000,
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1026069857589227520?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1026069857589227520&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fchicagotonight.wttw.com%2F2018%2F08%2F06%2Ftrump-amps-assault-media-enemy-people
neptuneblue

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2018 07:56 pm
@Brandon9000,
Seriously???

Trump calls 'fake news' media 'the real enemy of the people' over Putin summit
By NATALY PAK MATT SEYLER Jul 19, 2018, 12:04 PM ET

PHOTO: President Donald Trump and Russian President Vladimir Putin shake hands as they hold a joint news conference after their meeting in Helsinki, Finland July 16, 2018.Grigory Dukor/Reuters

President Donald Trump called the "fake news media" the "real enemy of the people" Thursday, tweeting that the summit with Russian President Vladimir Putin earlier this week was “a great success.”

Trump's tweet comes on the heels of his multi-day clarifications of statements regarding Russia and election meddling and following his widely-panned press conference with Putin in Helsinki.

Donald J. Trump

@realDonaldTrump
The Summit with Russia was a great success, except with the real enemy of the people, the Fake News Media. I look forward to our second meeting so that we can start implementing some of the many things discussed, including stopping terrorism, security for Israel, nuclear........

9:24 AM - Jul 19, 2018

His comments also come less than a month after he said members of the press should be "free from the fear of being violently attacked while doing their jobs," in the wake of a deadly shooting in a Maryland newsroom of the Capital Gazette that killed five people on June 28.

The president has previously lashed out at news media – sometimes specifically mentioning several news organizations. He has also called the so-called "fake news media" "the enemy of the people" several times this year.

Donald J. Trump

@realDonaldTrump
The FAKE NEWS media (failing @nytimes, @NBCNews, @ABC, @CBS, @CNN) is not my enemy, it is the enemy of the American People!

Donald J. Trump

@realDonaldTrump
Why was the FBI giving so much information to the Fake News Media. They are not supposed to be doing that, and knowing the enemy of the people Fake News, they put their own spin on it - truth doesn’t matter to them!

8:25 PM - Jun 17, 2018

Donald J. Trump

@realDonaldTrump
· 15 Jul
Heading to Helsinki, Finland – looking forward to meeting with President Putin tomorrow. Unfortunately, no matter how well I do at the Summit, if I was given the great city of Moscow as retribution for all of the sins and evils committed by Russia...

Donald J. Trump

@realDonaldTrump
...over the years, I would return to criticism that it wasn’t good enough – that I should have gotten Saint Petersburg in addition! Much of our news media is indeed the enemy of the people and all the Dems...

The president's most recent comments about the press come after he was criticized by news editorial boards, lawmakers and others for appearing to accept Putin's "strong" and "powerful" denial on Russia's 2016 U.S. election meddling over the assessment of the American intelligence community.

The next day, the president said: "I accept our intelligence community's conclusion that meddling took place," as he read from remarks. He added that it "could be other people also. There's a lot of people out there."

Trump also said he misspoke during Monday's joint press conference with Putin and meant to say there was no reason "it wouldn't be Russia" behind election meddling.

"I said the word would instead of wouldn't...I think that probably clarifies things pretty good by itself," Trump said.

Another clarification came a day later by White House press secretary Sarah Sanders after the president was twice asked a question and then for a clarification on the president’s response by ABC News' Cecilia Vega.

Vega received a "no" each time, which was recorded and other reporters confirmed hearing as well. The president ignored her request for clarification.

“Is Russia still targeting the U.S., Mr. President,” Vega asked.

“Thank you very much, no,” he said.

Vega pressed: “No?! You don’t believe that to be the case?”

He responded: "No."

Vega asked again a third time: "But can you just clarify, you don't believe that to be the case?"

The president ignored that question.

Afterward, Sanders said during a press briefing that the president was not answering the reporter's question but saying, "thank you, no" to answering any further questions from reporters.

The term "fake news" also appeared in a California congressman's campaign ad last month where Devin Nunes, R-Calif., called The Fresno Bee a "band of creeping correspondents."

"The Bee's reporting is a textbook example of fake news," Nunes said in a video posted on YouTube, referring to the daily local newspaper's reporting on issues surrounding a winery, which the congressman invests in.

"We stand behind our reporting. For all his complaints about 'fake news,' Rep. Nunes has failed to identify a single factual error in our work – while making numerous false statements himself," Fresno Bee editor Joe Kieta told ABC News in a statement.

Kieta went on to say that the paper attempted to contact Nunes before publishing any of its stories on him.

"We made multiple attempts to reach Rep. Nunes for comment prior to publication of the winery story, and every story that we’ve produced about him. That’s what good journalists do. It was his choice not to speak with us, as it is his choice to spend his campaign funds to produce an ad attacking The Bee," he wrote.
maporsche

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2018 07:57 pm
@Brandon9000,
He’s called the “fake news” the enemy of the people. Several times.

He’s then called CNN, MSNBC, The Washington Post, and several other networks/newspapers “fake news”.

If the fake news is the enemy of the people and these networks and newspapers are fake news...well do you need a logic class to finish the statement?
Real Music

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2018 08:10 pm
@Brandon9000,
Quote:
Please cite one case in which president Trump has called the free press the enemy of the people.

Trump has referred to news that reports negative things about him as being "Fake News." He has referred to what he calls "Fake News" as enemy of the people. Just because Trump doesn't like the news saying negative things about him doesn't make it "Fake News." Especially when what Trump says virtually every single day is one lie after another with ample evidence to prove that Trump is lying.

So, to answer your question, what Trump refer to as "Fake News" is the Free press. So, yes Trump has called the free press enemy of the people.
OldGrumpy

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2018 06:23 am
It seems people here have a blind faith in the mainstream press, while actually they are lying to us all the time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

https://pics.me.me/we-are-grateful-to-the-washington-post-the-new-york-17251221.png

wake up and see:

MAINSTREAM PRESS=FAKE NEWS

No wonder they want to stop alternative news outlets. They can show how deep
these mainstream media are lying!
maporsche

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2018 06:44 am
@OldGrumpy,
See Brandon9000....Trumps message is coming through loud and clear.
0 Replies

livinglava

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2018 04:57 pm
@Real Music,
Real Music wrote:

Quote:

Trump has referred to news that reports negative things about him as being "Fake News." He has referred to what he calls "Fake News" as enemy of the people. Just because Trump doesn't like the news saying negative things about him doesn't make it "Fake News." Especially when what Trump says virtually every single day is one lie after another with ample evidence to prove that Trump is lying.

So, to answer your question, what Trump refer to as "Fake News" is the Free press. So, yes Trump has called the free press enemy of the people.

The problem is that the press really isn't free. You can tell by the way they spin things they disagree with instead of analyzing and discussing them.

A really good example was the recent Trump tweet about tree clearing to stop California wildfires. Now I am personally VERY offended by this idea, as well as thinking it is a move in the wrong direction because thick forests without cleared corridors lock in moisture.

Nevertheless, I posted a thread on this topic that respects Trump's POV in order to discuss it without negatively spinning it and quoting various posturing remarks by people who want to spin him as an idiot to ignore.

So I acknowledged his logic, that clearing trees around a forest fire removes the fuel and thus the fire can't cross the clearing, but then I gave reasons why that would be a bad idea.

It's really that simple. You can disagree with Trump or anyone else simply by explaining what you understand them to mean and then explaining why you disagree with them. Why the media don't do that baffles me, except the cause may be that the READERS would find that boring and seek a more sensational news outlet, but then that is really the fault of the readers and THEY are the ones who are biased, or at least the biased offerings of the media to them are in service to them.

Now the ultimate implication of all this is that the people are their own enemy, and the media just serves their interest of being an enemy of themselves. Strange as this may sound, it seems to be accurate.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 06:33:11