Ford Escape CV Boot info please!

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2005 01:48 pm
I went to lunch today and heard a sort of metal rubbing noise each time I turned my steering wheel to the left in the parking garage. I rolled the window down to make sure it *was me*, and it was Surprised( I came back to work and described the noise to one of the guys I work with and he said it sounded like my CV Boots may be cracked or broken. There was no noise yesterday, so i am HOPING my CV Joints will be fine! Can anyone here tell me about what I should expect to pay for CV boot repairs on a 2002 Ford Escape? Also if they tell me my joints need replaced and axle taken out etc.....is this true? I soooooo hope this isn't expensive. What kind of plae should I take it to. The Ford Dealership?? It's never a good time for car troubles...you know? Thanks for any advice or tips you can give me. I'd never heard of a CV boot or jopint until about an hour ago...so any advice will help!

I read much of the thread above about CV boots, and noticed many people describing the noise as clicking. I definately do not hear clicking. It more of a mild squeak, metal rubbing sound, only when I turn the steering wheel to the left. No noise when I turn it to the right and no noise when I brake. Maybe it's not my CV Boots - since I don't have clicking??

Thanks!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,736 • Replies: 2
No top replies

fishin

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2005 05:07 pm
If you are getting a rubbing sound it is much more likely to be an issue with your brakes than with the CV joint. Being winter the 1st thing I'd recommend is that you find a car wash with a high pressure sprayer and wash out the front wheels and brak discs to get all of the road dust out of them.

To test if your CV joints or brakes you can jack up the front corner of the car enough to get the tire free of the ground and spin it with your hand. If you can hear the rubbing while spinning the tire with the engine off it's NOT your CV joints.
0 Replies

Parkvillescrapper

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2005 10:12 am
Thank you so much for the info. My car is in the shop right now and they just called to tell me that the noise when I turn the steering wheeel is a Tie-Rod issue. They want $400 for this. They siad it isn't a safety issue and not fixing it won't hurt my car. Then they told me I need new brake pads and new roaters. Which does surprise me a little because I only have 40,000 miles. They want $360 to fix the brakes. WHY can't car repair ever come at a good time...financially speaking. I had my last car for 12 years and never dreamed I'd have to start paying a bunch of $ already on this one. Surprised( Oh well...that's life, right. Thaks again for the info! I appreciate the reply!
0 Replies