Venice festival!!

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2005 03:21 am
I was watching a holiday programme last night and it showed Venice Festival.
I looooved how it looked with all the people dressed up in their finery and feathery masks!!
Has anyone been?When is the festival?do youhave photos?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 900 • Replies: 4
No top replies

hamburger

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2005 01:50 pm
haven't been to venice, but ... it's on the list (pehaps fall of this year or next spring ? dreaming and planning are free). we would like to combine it with a spring or fall transatlantic cruise. perhaps someone who has visited venice will help in the decision-making process. we would like to stay for perhaps a week to see a bit of venice rather than just stopping over for a night or two. local venice sites show some moderately priced accomodation. the hotel offers from cruiselines are pretty pricey. we did stay in rome about five years ago in a cruiseline recommended hotel and paid about $2,500 for three nights (it was the MAJESTIC hotel, absolutely high-class - even iggy pop stayed at the MAJESTIC - and some royalty). hbg
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2005 02:06 pm
I'm going in May! Woohoo! I think that Venice festival is sometime in the winter months. Not sure exactly when though.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 09:53 am
How did I miss this thread, eh? I am falling down on the job...

The festival is at Carnival/Mardi Gras time, the prelenten time of year.

Best I've read about it is in a book on Venice and it's history by James Morris, I think it's called Venice, but I'll look up a link for you. Interesting book, held my attention...
James Morris is the literate travel writer who became, somewhere along the line, Jan Morris, a woman; I think she also wrote a book about that situation.

Anyway, I remember the book as one of my faves in my vast books-about-italy collection.

Found the link -
Venice, by James Morris
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 09:58 am
Looks good.Mt friend just came back from Venice and showed me some pics, it looks great.
0 Replies