I was in the Air Force (SAC) from 1955 to 1959

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2018 06:24 pm
The Air Force was responsible for my passion to travel the world. When I enlisted, my first base was Parks AFB in Pleasonton, CA, for basic training. When we finished basic training, the members of my squadron all got their marching orders to their next training base, but I was held back for another two weeks. I was assigned to do KP work in the mess hall to keep count of how many walked in for a meal. Before my next base assignment, I was given a few days leave so I returned home to Sacramento. All my friends told me that the FBI was there asking about me. I later learned why. The Air Force had assigned me to work with conventional and nuclear weapons, and I needed a Top Secret security clearance. My first base was Travis AFB near Fairfield, CA. My next base was Ben Guerir AFB in Morocco for one year. My last base was Walker AFB in New Mexico. I later learned that this is the base where they planned the atomic bombing of Hiroshima, my ancestral home. However, it was my assignment in Morocco that changed me. During my one year assignment at Ben Guerir AFB, 40 miles north of Marrakech, I was able to visit Marrakech, Casablanca, Tangiers, Madrid, Paris and London. My love of travel was sparked, and I have traveled to some 128 countries in all. My last foreign trips have been to Mexico and Cuba. Thank you USAF/SAC for introducing me to travel.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 1,636 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Sturgis

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2018 10:29 pm
@cicerone imposter,
You really ought to write a book on your travels. From the things you've posted here at A2K about your trips, I have a feeling it would be fascinating.
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2018 11:57 pm
@Sturgis,
Many of my family members and friends have suggested that many decades ago, but I'm just too lazy. I've written some blogs on my trips, but they are far in between my travels. What I will say is that I've been fortunate to have met many people during my travels not only in the US but in foreign countries. I have friends in Singapore, Moscow, Cuba, Mexico, England, France, Germany, and all across the US. One of my interesting acquaintance was a rocket scientist, Bob Brodsky. He taught Astronautics at Iowa State Univesity and USC. We met on a cruise on the Mexican Riviera and kept in touch for many years until his passing last year. He designed the aerodynamics on the atomic bombs I worked with in the Air Force in the late 1950's. I also met Francisco Baez who lives in Mexico City on a social forum just a few years ago. When I was in Mexico City on my way to Cuba, he spent the day with me and showed me his city. He taught at the university for 10 years and is now the editor of the English newspaper in Mexico. I met Sergei on social media, and when I visited Moscow, he spent the day with me showing me places most tourists don't see. I met another Muscovite on a trip to Cuba, Oleg. We met at a cigar store in Havana. He's some bigwig with McDonalds in Russia. I met a doctor and his wife from Singapore on a trip to the UK. On our first day in London, I came down with the shingles, and Bill had painkillers that he fed me throughout the trip. When I planned a trip to Singapore, I wrote to them and told them I wanted them to be my guest for dinner. They said they'll pick me up at the hotel at 6:30, but rather than going to a restaurant, they took me to their home and fed me dinner. So on my next visit to Singapore, I insisted that they be my guest for dinner, and let them choose the restaurant. We went to a seafood restaurant where they have fishes and other seafood in tanks that you pick for them to prepare. Here in the US, I have friends in San Francisco, Alameda, San Diego, Houston, Austin, Chicago, and NYC. When I plan to go to those places, I try to get in touch with them to get together for a meal and drinks. Some years ago, I organized a get-together for a2k members in San Francisco, and Francis flew over from France. Nothing like that has happened for several decades, and I doubt people are interested in traveling any more for social media meets except for locals. I think they still have meets in Boston and NYC. Beyond that, my travels are now few, but my wife and I are doing the Columbia and Snake River cruise in October. It's been a blast having visited some 128 countries, all 7 continents, the northernmost and southernmost cities of the world. Even flew to the top of Mt Everest. and dipped my feet in the Dead Sea. My brother is a doctor, and he can't figure out how I was able to afford all that travel. I managed.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 21 Jul, 2018 12:07 am
@cicerone imposter,
BTW, 2008 was my busiest travel year. I visited Kazhakstan, Tajikistan, Uzbekistan, Turkmenistan, Thailand, Bhutan, India, Tahiti and Fiji. In 2011 it was Cuba, Czech Republic, Germany, and Turkey. 2013 was Mexico, Hong Kong, Russia, Portugal, and Cuba. If you have any questions, I'll try my best to answer.
0 Replies

Ruchimaha123

Reply Thu 30 Aug, 2018 01:48 pm
@cicerone imposter,
You should definitely start your blog. With so much experience in traveling, you could give some tips to us.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 30 Aug, 2018 10:09 pm
@Ruchimaha123,
I did a blog many years ago, but it seems to have disappeared. At this stage, it's impossible to write down all the experiences of my travels, but I'm willing to answer specific questions - if I can remember. Tip #1: You can meet people on able2know in foreign lands, and some can become your tour guide in their city/country. That's how I met Sergei in Moscow, and when I visited there he gave me a tour of the city most tourists do not see. I've had several experiences with it, and I can assure you they all turned out very well. Also met Francisco of Mexico City. When I visited, he gave me a Cooks tour of his city. I also have friends in Germany, France, England, Singapore, Cuba, and all across the US - in Houston, San Francisco, Chicago, Honolulu, across California, and NYC. We have had a2k meets in San Francisco, Houston, Chicago, London, and NYC.
0 Replies