You are dismissing my ideas (you sexist moron)!

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2018 11:48 am
This justification for abusive behavior has shown up on a few different threads recently. I want to address it directly.

A civil discussion doesn't mean that you have to accept the other persons opinions. Any meaningful discussion involves considering each point and deciding which ones are valid, and which are nonsense. Of course different people will have a different judgement, but that is what it means to have different points of view.

Disagreement is not disrespect. If someone tells me that they think a point I am making is nonsense, that is their right and it is an appropriate part of a civil discussion.. If someone tells me that all my points are nonsense, that is a little closed minded. I can agree with anyone on one point even though I disagree with them on others.

The problem comes when people don't accept disagreement. When "dismissal" of any of their points is seen as an offense, civil discussion becomes impossible outside of a narrow range of acceptable opinions.

In any case, this is not an excuse the personal attacks that are occurring on far too many threads.

View best answer, chosen by maxdancona
Sturgis

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2018 12:04 pm
I see...

Can only sexist morons join in or is only non-sexist or is it all morons...

...um, wait a second...that's putting me dangerously close to moron territory, as I seem to be responding...

On another note, I had noticed some of the rampant bashing. It's haappened on many boards for many years. Choices abound as to what to do.

Ignore either with the ignore feature or by virtual ignore. Virtual isn't necessarily actual ignore since the posts can still be easily read; you just don't respond. I've got two members here on virtual. Unless they mention me in a disrespectful manner, I don't respond to them or in any of their threads.

Or, you can respond to them. Do so in a proper civilized manner...no name calling even if they slapped a dozen at you. Don't even mention the offense.

In the meanwhile, I noticed that the word dismissal contains the word dismal. Coincidence? Maybe...
maxdancona

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2018 12:13 pm
@Sturgis,
I think you understand my attempt at humor in the title of this thread.

This is intended as part of a community discussion on what constitutes civil debate. People should be able to disagree civilly without resorting to personal attacks. The more people who live this way, the better Able2know will be as a community.
Ragman

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2018 12:15 pm
Ummm....who cares?

And speaking of sexism, it's summertime and your mother is easy.
InfraBlue

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2018 03:22 pm
@Ragman,
And that's aside from wearing combat boots.
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2018 04:10 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
You are dismissing my ideas (you sexist moron)!
You do know that this quote can very easily be directed at you?

Quote:
A civil discussion doesn't mean that you have to accept the other persons opinions.
I agree. That's why I don't accept your opinions. At least the ones I've read.

Quote:
Any meaningful discussion involves considering each point and deciding which ones are valid, and which are nonsense.
Okay. I feel that all of my points are valid. I feel that all of your points are complete total nonsense. At least the ones I've read.

Quote:
Disagreement is not disrespect.
You are absolutely correct. Disagreement is not disrespect. Can you share with the rest of us where someone stated otherwise?

Quote:
Of course different people will have a different judgement, but that is what it means to have different points of view.
Okay. My judgement of your point of view is that you are clueless. Other people may have different judgements of your points of view. They can speak for themselves.

Quote:
If someone tells me that they think a point I am making is nonsense, that is their right and it is an appropriate part of a civil discussion..
Okay. As long as your points continue to be complete nonsense, I will continue to call your points complete nonsense.

Quote:
If someone tells me that all my points are nonsense, that is a little closed minded. I can agree with anyone on one point even though I disagree with them on others.
If I look real hard through your many many post, I suspect that I might find something I can agree with. But, lately it seems like all of your post are complete nonsense. It would be like looking for a needle in a haystack.

Quote:
The problem comes when people don't accept disagreement.
Accepting disagreement is fine.

Quote:
When "dismissal" of any of their points is seen as an offense, civil discussion becomes impossible outside of a narrow range of acceptable opinions.
If that is what you truly believe, I and probably others, would have no problems dismissing your ridiculous nonsense.

Quote:
In any case, this is not an excuse the personal attacks that are occurring on far too many threads.
Okay
maxdancona

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2018 04:38 pm
@Real Music,
Quote:

The title of this thread went over your head, didn't it.

(The point is personal attacks are wrong. Even if you think they are "dismissing your ideas", it doesn't justify insults and bullying.)

Real Music

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2018 04:46 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:

This is intended as part of a community discussion on what constitutes civil debate. People should be able to disagree civilly without resorting to personal attacks. The more people who live this way, the better Able2know will be as a community.

Yeah, right. You are not fooling anyone
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2018 04:50 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:

(The point is personal attacks are wrong. Even if you think they are "dismissing your ideas", it doesn't justify insults and bullying.)

No, I understand. I just think you are full of it.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2018 04:57 pm
It is an odd feeling reading your responses here Real Music. You are basically agreeing with the basic thesis I am making on this thread. I sense some negative emotions in your posts, but I accept that.

You accept that dismissing someone's posts as nonsense is perfectly appropriate in a civil discussion. I am good with with that. We seem to have reached agreement on that point. I do feel that rejecting every opinion of someone just because you don't respect them as a person is a little excessive... I try to understand both sides of an argument based on facts and reason rather than on who is making the argument... but I won't push the point.

I feel we have accomplished something today.
Real Music
  Selected Answer

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2018 06:05 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
I sense some negative emotions in your posts, but I accept that.
Yes you are correct. When I am addressing a negative person such as you Max, that is what is to be expected.
maxdancona

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2018 06:33 pm
@Real Music,
Thank you Real for supporting my point. I appreciate that.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2018 06:49 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

That's your attempt at humor?

IS this under the Andy Kaufman school of Dadaist comedy? Really does nothing for me.

maxdancona wrote:

Quote:

An inside joke for a single person out of 7 billion+? You not going to fair very well at any open mike comedy hour. Even if you flood the room with laughing gas/nitrous oxide.

If you're forced to explain it a dozen times in a given thread? It probably didn't work as a joke in the first place.
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2018 08:59 pm
@Real Music,
Just so you know, I down voted you for selecting my post as the selected answer. You and I don't agree. You and I don't see eye to eye. I don't even consider you as being from the same planet.
0 Replies