Going Biodiesel

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2005 12:06 pm
Just found this Able2know forum. It is just like the (Mazda) MPVclub.com forum. I am looking into producing Biodiesel (from fryer oil) and need to start looking at a car for the family. According to the biodiesel guidelines it should be a '93 or newer as the material for seals, gaskets etc. has been upgraded to be compatible with biodiesel. I plan to use B100 (100% biodiesel) and have done alot of research on changing from dino diesel to bio, but haven't found much on cars, sedans, wagons, minivans Question that burn diesel. I know VW and Mercedes make some. Any others? Thanks, Jack
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,619 • Replies: 9
No top replies

fishin

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2005 12:30 pm
There aren't a whole lot of US cars that run on diesel. It's just not as popular here as it is in Europe for example and non-of the US makers have any car models. You'd have a much wider range if you bumped up to pickup trucks but I suppose that's neither here nor there.

I've been watching the bio-diesel info for a few months now since I stumbled onto it while looking up some other stuff on fuel efficient cars. It seems that B100 burns slightly hotter than regualr diesel so the VW and Mercedes cars are recommened becuse they use a heavier block that others.

Jeep has a Liberty out with a 2.4L diesel and Audi has A4 and A6 diesel versions. Other than that VW and Mercedes are the only diesels sold in the US that would fit in the car category that I know of.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2005 05:00 pm
making a complex ester, which is really what diesel fuel is, requires a reaction of your fry oil and an alcohol . Making iot and buying it are worlds apart. Crafted biodeisel can count on a constant supply of fry oil (unless you own a Mickee dees). Soybean oil or cottonseed oil also work. Ive seen a colleagues report on suboceanic C12 sediment. I guess you have to squeeze the C12 stuff out of the muck. Ill have to get back to you on thqt one.

I use a couple loads of biodeisel in my trucks and it works fine. I use 20% and 100% . Ive got a Cat 9240 in a Ford truck, and a 7.3 and A new 6.0. I havent used biodeisel in the 6.0 yet cause Fords getting a little hinky about its warranties and fuel reccomendations. Further, buying biodeisel requires me to go to Bel Air Maryland
0 Replies

Jackofalltrades

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2005 09:44 am
BioD
The truck thing isn't an issue. Tons of 'em around here (Oakdale is known as the cowboy capitol of the world). I didn't know about the Audi. I thought Volvo made a diesel. For a mini van I guess I could drive one home from Europe, but I'd need to make it submersible Rolling Eyes . I think that would take too much duct tape so it wouldn't be cost effective :wink: . But I could pick up some of that C12 stuff while I was down there Very Happy
0 Replies

promod55

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2005 06:40 pm
where in belair can biodiesel be purchased
farmerman wrote:
making a complex ester, which is really what diesel fuel is, requires a reaction of your fry oil and an alcohol . Making iot and buying it are worlds apart. Crafted biodeisel can count on a constant supply of fry oil (unless you own a Mickee dees). Soybean oil or cottonseed oil also work. Ive seen a colleagues report on suboceanic C12 sediment. I guess you have to squeeze the C12 stuff out of the muck. Ill have to get back to you on thqt one.

I use a couple loads of biodeisel in my trucks and it works fine. I use 20% and 100% . Ive got a Cat 9240 in a Ford truck, and a 7.3 and A new 6.0. I havent used biodeisel in the 6.0 yet cause Fords getting a little hinky about its warranties and fuel reccomendations. Further, buying biodeisel requires me to go to Bel Air Maryland
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2005 07:09 am
Anyone use bio-diesel to supliment home heating oil? I know it can be done -although not 100%, it has to be a mix. Any experiences to share?
0 Replies

Jackofalltrades

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 11:46 am
Look up Fuelmeister and I think one of the links goes to a site that sells heaters that use biodiesel. When I find a link I will post it. Keep looking here Very Happy
0 Replies

Jackofalltrades

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 12:01 pm
Biodiesel home heating oil
Links to biodiesel homeheating oil:
http://www.biodiesel.org/markets/hom/
http://www.meadbiofuel.com/Heatingoil.htm
http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1279/is_201/ai_111269259
There are others just paste this in the web search: biodiesel heating oil
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 12:09 pm
Thanks Jack, our current oil system should be able to handle biodiesel without any add ons. I'll check out the sites. We just want to know if anyone has had problems with things like quality control.
0 Replies

Jackofalltrades

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2005 08:30 am
According to the info from FuelMeister the things to check QC are included in the package.
0 Replies