Democratisation in the Middle East - the debate

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2005 11:53 am
nimh wrote:
The only problem now still is that its applied so inconsistently - the Uzbeks get away with what the Syrians are blasted for. That still creates the wrong impression: namely, that you can get away with totalitarinism as long as you make sure not to get on the wrong side of the US in strategical matters. That impression still seriously hampers democratisation, imho.

I could imagine, too, this being a major problem onyl, when you want a "purer" democranisation.
Perhaps, we should be pleased, if these countries just change to pro-US at first and then ...
(But something like that been done already during the last decades similarily.)
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2005 12:23 pm
Merry Andrew wrote:
I wonder. Does not this emphasis on what we should do to assure "democratisation" in the ME implay that we of the West are the legitimate arbiters in all local matters? Whatever happened to Woodrow Wilson's dictum of self-determination for all peoples?

That's an interesting inner contradiction in your point here. You argue that we might not want to take up the role of arbiter, by refering to Wilson and his dictum. But Wilson's dictum was quite the doctrine - and with his doctrine of encouraging, even insisting on national self-determination for all peoples, he of course himself became perhaps the single most influential "arbiter of local matters", here in Europe, of the 20th century.

It was Wilson's passionate insistence on the notion of self-determination that determined how the Austro-Hungarian and Ottoman empires were broken up and reconstituted in separate national states. Ahead of Trianon etc, intellectuals and politicians from Czech, Slovak, Hungarian, Ukrainian and Romanian lands were running in and out of the American and British diplomats' offices to convince them of the superior validity of their take on which nations there were and to where their natural habitat stretched - and it was the most succesful among them who saw their take translated in the peace treaty into the borders that mostly are still on the map today, a century later. This, remember, while the existence and borders of such "nations" (Slovak or Czechoslovak? Croat or Yugoslav?) was not at all so clear-cut at the time.

To his credit, Wilson tried to be a fair broker, even if some of the resulting borders and states were quite random - but his intervention on behalf of the right of peoples to rule themselves has determined Central-European politics to this day.

Noteworthy too is perhaps that the realisation of national self-determination as ordering principle was not just largely the result of a foreign power facilitating its emergence - but was also made possible by the prior military defeat of the authoritarian systems that had repressed it. Much like, perhaps, democracy in Iraq only got a chance to emerge thanks to a foreign power's insistence on it - which in turn was only ever possible through the prior military defeat of the authoritarian system that had precluded it ... And it's gotta be said: though the imposition, or facilitation, of the notion of national self-determination as the ordering principle back then - and the way it was implemented - has caused quite some problems, there are few now who would go back to the era of multinational autocratic empires.

In fact - not to want to suddenly reveal myself as a neocon altogether, but - I see Wilson's attempt and Bush's now as very much comparable beasts. They both represent an activist push from abroad to instill a new system, that was already pushed for by local forces but hadnt gotten the chance to break through ruling autocratic systems yet before. Both those pushes appear to be driven by idealism as well as pragmatism, and the idealism even concerns the same notion: the belief that every people should be free to rule itself. And that belief appears to actively fuel threats and negotiations vis-a-vis at least some of those autocratic regimes.

And if they really don't want demoracy? Then they're always free to re-elect their former dictators ...
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2005 12:35 pm
<dances a spirited jig>
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2005 12:36 pm
Somewhat of interest along these lines of "self-determination" in "that" part of the world - called Yugoslavia. http://www.manuelrdelgado.com/yugoslavia1.html
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2005 01:10 pm
Merry Andrew wrote:
I agree that no woman should be forced to wear a burqa and/or chador at risk of her life and limb. But, if wearing a burqa is part of the societal norm agreed upon by all, inlcuding those wearing the thing, are we not being smugly superior by saying, "tsk, tsk. That's terrible"?

By just saying so? No, it's just our opinion. They might look at our semi-nude pop stars and mutter "tsk tsk, that's terrible" in turn and that's fine too. It's only if we would force them to take it off that we get into trouble, imo - see the French ban on headscarves.

Merry Andrew wrote:
Self-detrmination, of course, implies the right of a majority to rise up against a government and any edicts that this majority considers oppresive. But, in a larger contetxt, do we have a right to insist that an ethnic group which knows no other form of government than an autocracy should be told that a democracy is better? What if they don't agree with us? What if they consider the emperor divine and want no part in overthrowing a government that has existed for centuries?

Then nothing happens <shrugs>. They wont rise up, no harm done. Insisting on telling somebody something doesnt seem like all too great an invasion to me. Now actually occupying the country to install the system you think is better for them admittedly is a wholly other can of worms..

Perhaps the common element in those two answers is that I share your reservations when it comes to actually physically/militarily imposing what you think is best for them - but don't have such reservations about simply expressing what you think is right, and supporting local groups with whom you agree. I don't believe in cultural relativism as a reason to passively stand by and look on when people are oppressed and abused - I think it's wrong - all the more so when, as is the case in the Middle East, there are plenty of local groups who assert they are indeed oppressed and change is indeed needed. Tradition is no argument: every of today's democratic nations was once "an ethnic group which knew no other form of government than an autocracy". Why not use the strategies of "soft power" to support and promote (those who do strive for) democracy? They will then still have the freedom to reject you, too - or at least, that's what I'm proponing, as is that Time article of Lusatian's. To step in to make democracy possible, but then also accept its results if it's not according to our wishes. In fact, that's exactly what seems to be happening right now, judging on the Iraqi and Saudi election results: they pick and choose from the menu, embracing free elections but voting in politicians who reject Western cultural values.

Merry Andrew wrote:
Isn't it really true that most people get the kind of government that they want/desrve?

No, I dont believe that for a second. I dont think the Belorussians "deserve" Lukachenka, or the Syrians "deserve" Assad. Or the Iraqis "deserved" Saddam, or the Russians "deserved" Stalin. There can be many reasons a people is not rising up at the moment. They might have given up hope, resigned to an awful reality they know they cant change. They might, if the totalitarian system is powerful and all-pervasive enough, just be too scared to say a thing. Now in absence of a domestic uprising, a military intervention to "liberate" them admittedly is tricky - you'd have to assume they want to be liberated, and by you - which might be right and might well not be - so on that count, you have a point on possibly misplaced, haughty Western assumptions and all the possible ****-ups involved. But to assume that just because they're not rising up, they must have the regime that fits with them is as serious a mistake.

Moreover, paradoxically, there's a distinct element of smug Western superiority in that, too. The implied assumption is that the people there - those Orientals - they're different - they're not like us, they don't need democracy. They're not - perhaps - mature enough for democracy, or just not culturally ready for it - possibly just happier ruled by a benign king/landlord.

There's a long orientalist - and dare I say racist - tradition behind that logic; the whole, Asians are by nature cruel or obedient or fill in your stereotype, so they wouldnt be happy in a system of individual freedom; to protect them, for their own sake, it's better for us to leave them under their absolute rulers. And autochtonous autocrats of course have gratefully adopted and used this orientalist logic of some in the West: see Mahathir and his tirades against the West for trying to insinuate "alien" values into his country. But the funny thing is that when one of those "traditional" autocracies did fall, the population turned out to usually be pretty OK with their new individual freedom and democracy. See Indonesia, or the Philippines, or Iran during its semi-democratic interlude of the few years up to last year.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2005 01:14 pm
I seem to be monopolizing this thread, posting overlong treatises noone will read ... sorry Embarrassed. But anyway, obviously a thought-provoking post, Andrew, thanks.

Dys has a good point too. And it's another example of how "soft power" could be used from the outside as well, I think. Support womens groups, protect prominent women dissidents whose lives are at danger, focus on education (programs), make sure to note to governments whenever negotiations come up that securing womens rights will earn them brownie points - in short, empower bottom-up change from within the family. Offer an alternative.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2005 01:19 pm
Even in many societies where women were once second class citizens, some have changed to give women equal rights. If the past is a predictor of our future, it will be very slow indeed.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2005 01:30 pm
[quote="nimh]

In fact - not to want to suddenly reveal myself as a neocon altogether, but - I see Wilson's attempt and Bush's now as very much comparable beasts. They both represent an activist push from abroad to instill a new system, that was already pushed for by local forces but hadnt gotten the chance to break through ruling autocratic systems yet before. Both those pushes appear to be driven by idealism as well as pragmatism, and the idealism even concerns the same notion: the belief that every people should be free to rule itself. And that belief appears to actively fuel threats and negotiations vis-a-vis at least some of those autocratic regimes.

And if they really don't want demoracy? Then they're always free to re-elect their former dictators ...[/quote]

Strangely enough, nimh, I agree with you wholeheartedly. Certainly no neocon myself, I see Wilson's legacy in Bush's actions as well. Someone far more astute than I am -- I foget who, wouldn't you know? -- recently had an article in either The Atlantic Monehtly or The New Yorker (the only two magazines I have subscriptions to and, hence, the only two I read on a regular basis), making much the same point. Isn't it wonderful how great minds tend to run on the same track? Smile
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2005 04:10 pm
nimh wrote:
Thanks for the correction, Walter; so, not a bureau of the SPD, but a foundation affiliated to the SPD. Allright. We have the same here; each party has affiliated foundations, a scientific foundation for example, and one (or more) on foreign developments - which organises events with parties and organisations of the same political bent in other countries.

Lash wrote:
Speak in a scary manner to those who seek to thwart the spread of democracy (and be ready to back it up)--and help budding democracies, in any way necessary.

What kind of ways would you suggest yourself?

Lash wrote:
The more idealistic among us are sure to jump on the freedom bandwagon NOW--but when China threatens Taiwan--and we start the brinksmanship with China--will you still be behind the spread of democracy?

I'm all for a more assertive position on Taiwan. It should be made clear that China will not get away with occupying Taiwan if the Taiwanese ever decide to break off entirely.

I missed this--and I've been trying not to monopolize this thread--but since I can't possibly do worse than nimh...<kidding>

Obviously, this is the focus of my leisure. It is a drug to me. An epic drama of power and intrigue and passion and strateegery. The personalities are interesting--the idiosyncratic studies of possible motivations and methods of various leaders is better than Sensemilla Red.

I honestly can't improve on what Bush is currently doing. Which is a lot of what you listed, nimh. I don't know how much you keep up with Bush's speeches and the White House website--but he has a bold blueprint--and he has acquitted each step with impossible precision and success. (The aftermath of Iraq wasn't the smoothest in the world--they severely miscalculated the numbers we needed in Iraq post-war (after the initial mission was accomplished), but good God. How perfect do people expect these things to go?

I think I laid out a plan a year or so ago--build up schools--build up womens' orgs, REPLACE madrasses with rounded educations, build up Iraq. PIPE IN OTHER SOURCES OF NEWS. Let them all see how they have been force-fed propaganda...Spend Iraq's money on Iraqis. Capitalism, baybee. Let them enjoy their money. How did Europe do it? Industrialization. Protect them from outsiders--(as Bush is doing right now. Syria has been helping the "insurgents", and working against the spread of democracy.)

I'd be sending covert operation guys to several mideast countries to instigate for voting and enhanced freedoms. Iran, Saudi, Lebanon, Yemen, no place too hot to try.

If Iraq is our SIM City--first--security, second--a Western Education--of course, focusing on them, their history, and their present--but science, politics, democracy, other histories...third--capitalism, industrialism.

Don't force--but pull out all stops to shut down madrasses. Or shut them down in their current war- and hate- mongering form.

Do you know, nimh, we would end up at war with China if we do as you and I agree we should.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2005 11:51 am
I cringe a bit when I see the comparisons of Bush and Wilson. At the same time the similarities in their activism towards democratic self-determination are undeniable. Wilson, however, raised the hopes and aspirations of others far higher than he was able to deliver, and much mischief resulted from that.

Wilson allowed himself to become thoroughly flummoxed by Lloyd George and Georges Clemenceau in their successful effort to turn the Armistice into an unconditional surrender on the part of Germany and their utterly cynical division of the spoils of the former Ottoman Empire. These actions were the precursors of WWII and the unrest we are facing in the Moslem world today. Moreover the U.S. Senate detected the fact that the UK and France were really running the show during the Versailles negotiations, and that a weary Wilson had, in effect, given away the store in his efforts to get a league of nations. As a result they rejected it all.

Perhaps the lesson here is for us to pay even less attention to the "wisdom" of Europeans.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2005 12:13 pm
What is less than "ignoring"?
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2005 12:15 pm
Oh Walter, I believe we can do even more!! Very Happy
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2005 12:54 pm
bm
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2005 01:57 pm
am not forgetting about this thread, just dont feel like talking politics tonight ... bbl, ok?

thanks for all who are responding.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2005 02:19 pm
George wrote

"Wilson allowed himself to become thoroughly flummoxed by Lloyd George and Georges Clemenceau in their successful effort to turn the Armistice into an unconditional surrender on the part of Germany and their utterly cynical division of the spoils of the former Ottoman Empire. These actions were the precursors of WWII and the unrest we are facing in the Moslem world today."

I love that phrase "their utterly cynical division of the spoils of the former Ottoman Empire"....with its pretend shock and muted outrage.

Of course the American imperialist adventure into Iraq has nothing to do with the spoils of the former Ottoman Empire. The biggest smash and grab raid in history was to keep us safe from Saddam's fantasy wmd was it? No trace of cynicism here. Altruism through and through. And now Iraq's (oil) is free! Glory be.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2005 02:42 pm
You are wrong, Steve.

Almost from the start of WWI Britain and France were squabbling over how to divide the spoils of the Ottoman Empire which they hastened to invade at the outset of WWI. Finally in the Sykes Piqot treaty they memorialized their agreement for the division of those spoils. France was to get Syria, Lebanon and the oil fields of Mosul (northern Iraq) Britain, all the rest. later in the Versailles negotiations lloyd George snookered Clemenceau our of the French claim for Mosul, and kept it for Britain.

Versailles gave Britain SOVEREIGNTY over what became Iraq. Later after a civil war erupted they installed a Hashemite king, but even with this devivce they were, by 1934, forced to surrender their claimed ownership of the oil fields and control of the country. There is virtually no similarity between that and what we are doing in Iraq.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2005 02:06 am
Quote:
Was Bush right after all?

As Syria pulls out of Lebanon, and the winds of change blow through the Middle East, this is the difficult question that opponents of the Iraq war are having to face

By Rupert Cornwell in Washington
08 March 2005

Trucks carrying Syrian soldiers began to file out of Beirut yesterday. As they departed, Syria's President, Bashar Assad, under intense pressure from the US, promised to withdraw all 14,000 troops to eastern areas of Lebanon by the end of this month. The White House almost immediately dismissed the plan as failing to set a deadline for total withdrawal from the country.

So this was too little, too slow for Washington. But however circumscribed, the first phase of Syria's withdrawal from Lebanon is another sign of change across the Middle East. The precise extent and implications of the pull-out (or to be more accurate pull-back) are still unclear, and the same goes for the host of other developments, from Palestine to Iraq, from Egypt to Saudi Arabia. Some may be sincere and lasting, others contrived and short-lived, but all suggest the political straitjacket that has long imprisoned the Arab world is loosening, if not yet coming apart at the seams.

It is barely six weeks since the US President delivered his second inaugural address, a paean to liberty and democracy that espoused the goal of "ending tyranny in our world". Reactions around the world ranged from alarm to amused scorn, from fears of a new round of "regime changes" imposed by an all-powerful American military, to suspicions in the salons of Europe that this time Mr Bush, never celebrated for his grasp of world affairs, had finally lost it. No one imagined that events would so soon cause the President's opponents around the world to question whether he had got it right.

That debate is now happening, in America and beyond, as the first waves of reform lap at the Arab world. Post-Saddam Iraq has held its first proper election. In their own elections, Palestinians have overwhelmingly chosen a moderate leader. Hosni Mubarak, who for 24 years has permitted no challenge to his rule in Egypt, has announced a multi-candidate presidential election this year. Even Saudi Arabia is not immune, having just held its first municipal elections. Next time around, Saudi spokesmen promise, women too will be permitted to vote.

Most remarkably of all, perhaps, popular demonstrations in Beirut last week brought the downfall of one pro-Syrian government and - with the help of fierce pressure from Washington and the EU - the agreement by Syria to start withdrawing its troops in Lebanon.

How much Mr Bush is responsible for these development is debatable. The peaceful uprising in Lebanon was provoked by outrage at the assassination of the former prime minister Rafik Hariri, in which a Syrian hand is suspected, although not proven. Then the man who insisted on elections in Iraq when the US wanted to postpone or dilute them was Ayatollah Ali al- Sistani, leader of Iraq's majority Shia community. And the death from old age of Yasser Arafat, not machinations in Washington, led to the election that might break the Israeli-Palestinian deadlock.

Indubitably, however, even his most grudging domestic opponents and his harshest critics in the region admit that Mr Bush is also in part responsible. The 2003 invasion of Iraq may have been justified by a giant fraud, but that, and above all the January election to which it led, transfixing the Arab world, has proved a catalyst.

The mood at the White House, on Capitol Hill and in the punditocracy has been transformed. The weapons of mass destruction fiasco is forgotten, the deaths of US troops have slipped from the front pages. Even Senator Edward Kennedy, bitter Democratic critic of the invasion, admits that Mr Bush deserves credit "for what seemed to be a tentative awakening of democracy in the region".

The neoconservatives are predictably triumphalist. "What changed the climate in the Middle East was not just the US invasion and show of arms," exults the commentator Charles Krauthammer in Time magazine. "It was US determination and staying power, and the refusal of its people last November to turn out a president who rejected an 'exit strategy'."

Beyond argument, old certainties in the region are less certain; old equations of power are having to be recalculated. It is, of course, only a start, and things could go dreadfully wrong. Today the pro-Syrian Hizbollah party, regarded as a terrorist group, by Washington, holds a massive demonstration. Some see the spectre of Lebanon's 1975-1990 civil war and this time, they predict Syria could be thrown into bloody chaos.

Success in Iraq, too, is anything but assured and there is the wild card of Iran, locked in dispute with the European Union and the United States over its suspected nuclear ambitions, and with huge mischief-making potential in both Iraq and Lebanon.

The moves by Saudi Arabia and Egypt may yet be tactical, a controlled release of steam before the lid is screwed down once more. There is no guarantee that the Islamic Brotherhood, the most powerful opposition party, will be allowed to take part in the Egyptian vote.

Then there is the law of unintended consequences. The maddening thing about democracy, from the viewpoints of Mr Bush and Mr Mubarak alike, is that you cannot be sure of what you will get. A Shia-dominated government will emerge in Iraq, but no one knows whether it will be secular or theocratic. What will Washington do if Islamic movements threaten repressive but reliable autocrats such as Mr Mubarak? And for all Mr Bush's argument that the survival of liberty in the US depends on liberty abroad, there is no guarantee that democracy will end terrorism.

Some US officials compare the situation in the Arab world with that of eastern Europe in 1989, when the people's discontent with their rulers reached boiling point, and repressive regimes simply lacked the will to repress any longer.

The same happened with the Soviet Union in 1991. But that year offers two other, more depressing parallels. One was the futile insurrection by Iraqi Kurds and Shias against Saddam Hussein. Then in Algeria, the US and the West sat silent as the military regime, faced with the victory of the Islamist FIS movement in elections, simply cancelled them. The result was a brutal civil war in which more than 100,000 died.

When push has come to shove in the Middle East before, the US has invariably sided with the devil it knows, true to the philosophy: "He may be a sonofabitch, but at least he's our sonofabitch." Will this President Bush be as good as his soaring words on that icy morning in January? Lebanon may provide the first test.
Source
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2005 06:54 am
Well. Looks like the question of how long it will take for women to get the vote in Saudi has been answered.

<absolutely screams with joy>

<yeeeeeeeee--hah!!>

...first wave of reform lap at the Arab world...

Bush has changed the world.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2005 07:41 am
Steve (as 41oo) wrote:
George wrote

"Wilson allowed himself to become thoroughly flummoxed by Lloyd George and Georges Clemenceau in their successful effort to turn the Armistice into an unconditional surrender on the part of Germany and their utterly cynical division of the spoils of the former Ottoman Empire. These actions were the precursors of WWII and the unrest we are facing in the Moslem world today."

I love that phrase "their utterly cynical division of the spoils of the former Ottoman Empire"....with its pretend shock and muted outrage.

Of course the American imperialist adventure into Iraq has nothing to do with the spoils of the former Ottoman Empire. The biggest smash and grab raid in history was to keep us safe from Saddam's fantasy wmd was it? No trace of cynicism here. Altruism through and through. And now Iraq's (oil) is free! Glory be.

I'm still waiting for the first super-tanker full of the free, sweet Iraqi crude to pull into dock in the states.

I wonder when they'll add the star to the flag? Or, do you think it will just remain a territiry like the US Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2005 09:46 am
About 500,000 of Lebanese swarmed into Beirut today for a mass rally called by the Shia Muslim group Hezbollah to denounce Western interference in the country and global demands for Syria to pull out its troops.

Interestingly to watch on tv that obviously other groups joined in as well: lots of photos of the killed ex-prime minister Rafik Hariri were to be seen as well. And the square was dotted with red-and-white national flags which have become a symbol of anti-Syrian opposition forces.
0 Replies