Lawn Mower Problems, Won't shut off

Tenoch

Reply Sat 5 Mar, 2005 02:42 pm
I have a old 1990 MTD mower with a briggs and straton 3.5 hp engine. It runs like a champ, except when you pull down the lever to turn it off it keeps running. I have to unplug the spark plug wire while getting shocked a little. I looked at the cable and all the mechnized movements seem to be working fine.

If anybody knows it would be helpfull. Or if you know of a site that can help me that would be great too.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 5,693 • Replies: 7
No top replies

roger

Reply Sat 5 Mar, 2005 03:48 pm
Guessing that it is magneto fired like a reciprocating aircraft engine, I'll make the first guess. There will be a wire from the mag, running through the kill switch, and then to ground. You kill a magneto by grounding what is called the 'P' lead in aircraft terminology. If you have an open circuit anywhere in the lead, it won't shut down. This would include an open circuit in the switch, of course.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 5 Mar, 2005 05:06 pm
Roger, is it the same with a jet mower?

I mean, I could tell you that striking the sails works as good ....

<rushing quickly under the warm bedcover>
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 5 Mar, 2005 05:09 pm
we allus put a spare groun warr on the body a th mower, thain we jes a puts it oer th spawrk plug . Stops er like a 45 in the heart
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 5 Mar, 2005 05:17 pm
Always the direct approach, eh farmerman?

Walter, I have no idea what a jet mower is. If it actuallys has a jet engine, my experience with turboshaft powerplants :(nonexistant): leads me to believe the only way to shut it down is to shut off the fuel. If it is powered by sails, yes, by all means, strike them.

Okay, Tenoch, you've got answers from three major authorities (lmao). Go shoot it.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 5 Mar, 2005 05:32 pm
Leonardo invented the wind powered lawn mower. The only problem was , every bdy kept asking him
"Ey Leonardo, assa madda you, we don gotta no lawns., Gabone"
0 Replies

Tenoch

Reply Sat 5 Mar, 2005 05:57 pm
I don't want to ever touch the spark plug. I thought I was clever and got a thick stick to dissconnect the spark plug from the wire. Well, the stick was wet and I kept getting shocked for five seconds until it got shut off.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 5 Mar, 2005 09:39 pm
Oh, if you really meant to ask advice on the old wet stick approach, I can help there too. Back off the throttle first. You only get one spark per two revolutions, so you'll have a much better shot at turning loose of the stick. Now, if the mower is two cycle instead of four, you have another problem.
0 Replies