Movie fragments that stick to you

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2018 05:14 am
I've been alive and cogent for a number of decades now(well, alive at least. The cogent part is up for debate Smile )

In the span of those decades I have watched a number of movies. I liked lots of those, and I can usually recall a movieplot after I had seen it with sufficient memory jogging (sometimes up to seeing the opening again).

However, some scenes will never fade. Some have personal meaning, some just solicited some sort of unexpected jolt of emotion and thus stayed fresh.

Let me mention some.
I saw the movie Alien way before I was mentally ripe enough to place everything in context. Consequentially, I found the thing hugely scary, and up to this day, it may be my favorite horror movie of all time.
Of course, there's the famous stomach bursting scene, or the end 'fight' in the escape capsule, but the scenes that most stood out to me were:
1) the scene with the huge room and the chains hanging down out of the darkness above. They clink together, and there's constant dripping of water. It's when Brett(the mechanic) dies. I never understood why this 'room' had the chains and the water dripping down, and hence it has stuck with me through the years.
2) the dismembered head of Ash that is being interrogated. IT was just... milky white gruesomeness to my juvenile mind.

In Nightmare on Elm Street, I can to this day recall the children's rhyme. It's eerie, and entirely fitting. And the fact you can hear it at the start of day at the opening, and as well at the end of the movie? Bonus points...
One two, Freddie's coming for you,
Three four, better lock your door,
Five six, get your crucifix,
Seven eight, better stay up late,
Nine ten, never sleep again...

Top Gun:
The montage around the Kenny Loggins 'Danger zone' song. Specifically, Tom Cruise riding on his racer into the sunset/sunrise, and then looking at the fighter jets taking off. It all screamed cool and macho, and my adolescent mind absorbed it up like a frigging sponge.

Lethal Weapon: The scene where Mel Gibson swallows his gun and comes this close to pulling the trigger, all while watching a cartoon in his camper.
That scene was jarring for me, since I expected a rather light hearted action movie. It really helped to flesh out just how on the edge Riggs was though. I think it was the juxtaposition of the merry cartoon (something christmassy I recall) and the contemplated suicide that really hit home.

So, before I make this list too long to mention, do any of you guys have scenes that stuck with you, and do you have an explanation why?

izzythepush

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2018 05:24 am
@najmelliw,
End of Repoman, not the car flying off but the conversation beforehand.

najmelliw

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2018 02:03 pm
@izzythepush,
I have never seen this movie, but the end seems pretty far out. That movie must be a riot and a half!
izzythepush

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2018 02:13 pm
@najmelliw,
It's brilliant, one of my top ten. The Soundtrack's pretty good too.

chai2

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2018 05:20 pm
@izzythepush,
From this scene in "As Good as it Gets"

I think this is the most beautiful position a woman can be in. The back, twisted hips, arms either raised or lowered. It is the ultimate in feminine grace to me.

Every time I find myself in this position, whether in yoga class, or just reaching for a jar or box, I think of this movie.

http://storage0.dms.mpinteractiv.ro/media/401/2101/25027/10584743/9/helen-hunt-as-good-as-it-gets.jpg?width=500
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2018 05:41 pm

This will never fail to move me.
chai2

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2018 08:33 pm
@jespah,
I am proud to say this has been me when my husband has needed medical attention....

I channel Aurora

**** protocol.

InfraBlue

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2018 03:36 pm
mark
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2018 06:17 pm
@najmelliw,
The original Terminator was full of great scenes, and while "I'll be back" is memorable, the one that stood out to me was...

0 Replies

engineer

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2018 06:36 pm
The dance scene from "Get Smart"

0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2018 06:41 pm
this is it for me for so many reasons

best ending to any conversation or movie
Lash

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2018 06:54 pm
@jespah,
One of my favorites, too.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2018 07:21 pm
The scene in Testament (1983) with Lukas Haas being held by Jane Alexander, who plays his mother.

In the aftermath of a nuclear bomb attack, the boy has radiation sickness and severe diahrrea.

He's carried by his mother to a sink, that is holding some of the little precious water they have.

She lowers him in and allows him to relieve himself.

It so captures the total hopelessness of their lives.

It starts at around 19:10 in the video below.

0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2018 08:54 pm
@najmelliw,
The opening scene of Breakfast at Tiffany

The scenes of the priest stopping the films and cutting out the love scenes (literally) and the cold, loveless protagonist finding and watching them in the end, in Cinema Paradiso.

John Malkovich’s nightmare journey into his subconscious in Being John Malkovich. And the marionettes...I love marionettes!

0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2018 09:03 pm
@jespah,
Om my gosh, that's fabulous.....I had forgotten that scene, thanks jespah
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2018 09:06 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

I am proud to say this has been me when my husband has needed medical attention....

I channel Aurora

**** protocol.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1AIroyiLEM[/youtube]

Wow, another fantastic performance......I remember when this film was in the theater, people were sobbing in their seats
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2018 09:09 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

this is it for me for so many reasons

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWS2NVX6VP0[/youtube]

best ending to any conversation or movie

Wow, another favorite of mine. I'm so happy to be reminded.....
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2018 09:21 pm
@ehBeth,
The last time I went to San Diego we went to walk around the Hotel Coranado. It’s wonderful. I was so excited by the elevator doors in the lobby, as I could remember them so well in the movie. It felt like magic.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2018 09:25 pm
The film "The Russians are coming, the Russians are coming" has far too many scenes to pick only one. If you haven't seen it, its worth looking up....smack dab in the middle of the Cold War, it was comic relief.
chai2

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2018 12:04 am
@glitterbag,
omg, I remember that movie, I laughed my ass off.

emergency.......everybody to be get from street.