How to get to heaven when you die

Terry

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2005 12:08 am
Quote:
Then Isaiah said, "Hear now, you house of David! Is it not enough to try the patience of men? Will you try the patience of my God also? Therefore the Lord himself will give you a sign: The virgin (or young woman) will be with child and will give birth to a son, and will call him Immanuel. He will eat curds and honey when he knows enough to reject the wrong and choose the right. But before the boy knows enough to reject the wrong and choose the right, the land of the two kings you dread will be laid waste. The Lord will bring on you and your people and on the house of your father a time unlike any since Ephraim broke away from Judah - he will bring the king of Assyria.

Ahaz (king of Judah) wanted a sign from God that Aram and Ephraim would not conquer Judah. This prophecy was made to reassure Ahaz, not to predict the birth of Jesus some 700 years in the future. It was fulfilled in Isaiah 8:3-4 "Then I went to the prophetess, and she conceived and gave birth to a son. And the Lord said to me, "Name him Maher-Shalal-Hash-Baz. Before the boy knows how to say `My father' or `My mother,' the wealth of Damascus and the plunder of Samaria will be carried off by the king of Assyria."

There is no evidence whatsoever that Mary was a virgin when she gave birth to Jesus (rumor had it that he was the son of a soldier). He was not called Immanuel by anyone in the Bible. The lands of two dreaded kings were not laid to waste while Jesus was a child. God did not bring the King of Assyria. Did Jesus in any way fulfill this already-fulfilled prophecy of Isaiah? No.

Nowhere in the Old Testament does God or any of his prophets predict that God would produce a biological son who would be crucified and resurrected.

The prophecies that NT writers claimed were made by prophets in the Old Testament are often not prophecies at all but just miscellaneous bits and pieces of text gleaned from Psalms and many other books. The ones that really were prophecies were taken completely out of context or altered. None of them were actually fulfilled by the Biblical Jesus. No wonder the Jews don't believe he was their promised Messiah. Only Gentiles who could not read Jewish scripture could be misled by the gospel writers!
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2005 12:16 am
Frodo, here are the questions I asked you, in case you missed them on the previous page:

Who told Adam and Eve the truth, God or the serpent?

Why do you suppose that God wanted them to remain ignorant of morality?

Why do you suppose that he gave them a test that he knew (given that he is omniscient) they must fail?

Do you think God lied to his prophet Ezekiel when he said that "The son will not share the guilt of the father, nor will the father share the guilt of the son. The righteousness of the righteous man will be credited to him, and the wickedness of the wicked man will be charged against him."

Do you think that babies are sinners and deserve prison or hell?

People who suffer from mental illness or defective minds cannot make free choices. People who are brain-washed from birth into accepting their parents' beliefs cannot make free choices. People who are cursed with logical minds cannot make the choice to believe the contradictory tenets and outright lies of Christianity without giving up their sanity. Billions of human beings who died before Jesus was born cannot choose to accept him.

Do you think that God sends them all to hell, or does he make exceptions?

Do you think that the 6 million Jews who were starved, tortured and killed in the Holocaust because of their faith in God's Word are now in hell?
0 Replies

XFRODOBAGGINSX

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 09:19 pm
"Terry"]Frodo, here are the questions I asked you, in case you missed them on the previous page:

Who told Adam and Eve the truth, God or the serpent?

God told the truth, obviously.

Why do you suppose that God wanted them to remain ignorant of morality?

They weren't ignorant of morality, they just didn't know How to sin. I realize that it was the tree of the Knowledge of good and evil, but I believe that they only knew how to do good at that time. There was no desire to do evil for them until after the fall.

Why do you suppose that he gave them a test that he knew (given that he is omniscient) they must fail?

Although God knows all things, He let's them come to pass in reality. He wanted to let them choose to obey Him or not to obey Him. He already knew the outcome, yet He allowed it, I believe because He wanted His relationship with them to be genuine. He had many reasons for letting it happen. So that He could die on the cross for them and demonstrate His love and grace.

Do you think God lied to his prophet Ezekiel when he said that "The son will not share the guilt of the father, nor will the father share the guilt of the son. The righteousness of the righteous man will be credited to him, and the wickedness of the wicked man will be charged against him."

No, of course not.

Do you think that babies are sinners and deserve prison or hell?

No, but most Christians don't believe that babies will go to hell.

People who suffer from mental illness or defective minds cannot make free choices. People who are brain-washed from birth into accepting their parents' beliefs cannot make free choices. People who are cursed with logical minds cannot make the choice to believe the contradictory tenets and outright lies of Christianity without giving up their sanity. Billions of human beings who died before Jesus was born cannot choose to accept him.

Most Christians don't believe that people who aren't capable of making the decision to follow Christ will go to hell. They believe that they will go to heaven. You obviously didn't know this. The people who died before Jesus was born could still have chosen Him by obeying the law at that time.

Do you think that God sends them all to hell, or does he make exceptions?

Those who trusted in the Lord at that time were saved.

Do you think that the 6 million Jews who were starved, tortured and killed in the Holocaust because of their faith in God's Word are now in hell?

Only if they rejected Jesus Christ as their Savior will they go to hell. I simply believe what the bible says on this. Like it or not, that is what God's word says.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2005 06:36 am
XFRODOBAGGINSX wrote

Quote:
Only if they rejected Jesus Christ as their Savior will they go to hell. I simply believe what the bible says on this. Like it or not, that is what God's word says.

It boggles the mind that "apparently" intelligent people can believe such idiotic, bigoted horse manure. Statements and beliefs of that nature accomplish the task of religion which is intolerance and divisiveness.
0 Replies

XFRODOBAGGINSX

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2005 11:56 pm

He will when He comes again.

Find a cross-referenced Bible (I used the RSV) and look up all of the prophecies in Matthew (or your favorite gospel) yourself. You will find, as I did, that Jesus' birth, life and death were never actually prophesied at all. The one most often quoted is Isaiah 7:13-17:

First of all it's Isaiah 7:13 prophecies His birth. Isaiah 53 prophesies His crucifixion.

Read Isaiah 53, Psalm 22 is all about the crucifixion, Jonah in the whale's belly is a "type" of Christ.

Mt 12:40 For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale's belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.
(KJV)

Mal 1:11 For from the rising of the sun even unto the going down of the same my name shall be great among the Gentiles; and in every place incense shall be offered unto my name, and a pure offering: for my name shall be great among the heathen, saith the LORD of hosts.

[quote]Then Isaiah said, "Hear now, you house of David! Is it not enough to try the patience of men? Will you try the patience of my God also? Therefore the Lord himself will give you a sign: The virgin (or young woman) will be with child and will give birth to a son, and will call him Immanuel. He will eat curds and honey when he knows enough to reject the wrong and choose the right. But before the boy knows enough to reject the wrong and choose the right, the land of the two kings you dread will be laid waste. The Lord will bring on you and your people and on the house of your father a time unlike any since Ephraim broke away from Judah - he will bring the king of Assyria. [/quote]
Ahaz (king of Judah) wanted a sign from God that Aram and Ephraim would not conquer Judah. This prophecy was made to reassure Ahaz, not to predict the birth of Jesus some 700 years in the future. It was fulfilled in Isaiah 8:3-4 "Then I went to the prophetess, and she conceived and gave birth to a son. And the Lord said to me, "Name him Maher-Shalal-Hash-Baz. Before the boy knows how to say `My father' or `My mother,' the wealth of Damascus and the plunder of Samaria will be carried off by the king of Assyria."

There is no evidence whatsoever that Mary was a virgin when she gave birth to Jesus (rumor had it that he was the son of a soldier). He was not called Immanuel by anyone in the Bible. The lands of two dreaded kings were not laid to waste while Jesus was a child. God did not bring the King of Assyria. Did Jesus in any way fulfill this already-fulfilled prophecy of Isaiah? No.

Nowhere in the Old Testament does God or any of his prophets predict that God would produce a biological son who would be crucified and resurrected.

The prophecies that NT writers claimed were made by prophets in the Old Testament are often not prophecies at all but just miscellaneous bits and pieces of text gleaned from Psalms and many other books. The ones that really were prophecies were taken completely out of context or altered. None of them were actually fulfilled by the Biblical Jesus. No wonder the Jews don't believe he was their promised Messiah. Only Gentiles who could not read Jewish scripture could be misled by the gospel writers![/quote]

Here are some prophesies which you must have overlooked:

FPRIVATE "TYPE=PICT;ALT=jesus-vel-nub2.bmp (257366 bytes)" Prophecies of the Old Testament
Fulfilled in Jesus Christ
Prophecies of the OT Fulfilled in Jesus the Messiah and His church
a total of 1,093
50 Specific Prophecies Fulfilled in Jesus
The Jewish Mystery
The Messiah, the Christ in Greek
Links
Prophecies of the OT Fulfilled in Jesus Christ:
There have been described in the Old Testament 300 prophecies of the first coming of the Messiah and 500 of the second coming, all of then made hundreds of years before the birth of Jesus and fulfilled to the letter in Jesus Christ, the Messiah.
George Heron, a French mathematician, calculated that the odds of one man fulfilling only 40 of those prophecies are 1 in 10 to the power of 157. That is a 1 followed by 157 zeros. Compare it to this; your odds on winning the state lottery are 14 followed by 6 zeros.
Another mathematician, Dr. Peter S. Ruckman, claims the odds of being fulfilled only 60 of them by the only person who claimed to be the Son of God, and who died on a "tree" on Calvary, and who rose the 3rd day are astronomical!... not just one in one trillion, but one out of ten to the 895th power. That is a one over a one followed by 895 zeros.
And still more, because every page of the Old Testament talks and prophecies and characterizes the coming of the Messiah, the Christ in Greek... so, there are actually thousands of prophecies on the coming of the Messiah, all of them fulfilled to the letter in Jesus Christ and His Church as they are shown in this site.
Philip found Nathanael and told him, "We have found the one Moses wrote about in the Law, and about whom the prophets also wrote--Jesus of Nazareth, the son of Joseph. (Jn.1:45)
If you believed Moses, you would believe me, for he wrote about me (Jn.5:46).
And beginning with Moses and all the Prophets, he explained to them what was said in all the Scriptures concerning himself. (Lk.24:27)
He said to them, This is what I told you while I was still with you: Everything must be fulfilled that is written about me in the Law of Moses, the Prophets and the Psalms. (Lk.24:44).
He told them, This is what is written: The Christ will suffer and rise from the dead on the third day, (Lk.24:46).
Prophecies and types of each book of the Bible fulfilled in Jesus Christ and His Church, a total of 1,093
92 Prophecies of the Psalms fulfilled in Jesus Christ
121 Prophecies of Isaiah fulfilled in Jesus Christ

Here are just 50 of those thousand Prophecies:
Ancestors:

1- The "seed of a woman": Genesis 3:15.... Galatians 4:4.
Jesus was born of Virgin Mary without any man involved in His conception (Is.7:14, Mat.1:23, Lk.1:27).
- Gen.3:15 And I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and hers; he will crush your head, and you will strike his heel.
- Gal.4:4 But when the time had fully come, God sent his Son, born of a woman, born under law. (Luk.2:7; Rev.12:5)
2- Descendent of Abraham: Genesis 12:3, 18:18.... Acts 3:25, Matthew 1:1.
- Gen. 18:18 Abraham will surely become a great and powerful nation and all nations on earth will be blessed through him. (Gen. 12:3)
- Act. 3:25 And you are heirs of the prophets and of the covenant God made with your fathers. He said to Abraham, "Through your offspring all peoples on earth will be blessed." (Mt.1:1; Lk.3:34)

3- Descendent of Isaac: Gen.17:19, Luc.3:34.
- Gen.17:19 Then God said, "Yes, but your wife Sarah will bear you a son and you will call him Isaac. I will establish my covenant with him as an everlasting covenant for his descendants after him."
-Mt.1:2 Abraham was the father of Isaac, Isaac the father of Jacob, Jacob the father of Judah and his brothers. (Lk.3:34)
4- Descendent of Jacob: Numbers 24:17...... Luke 3:34, Matt.1:2.
- Num.24:17 I see him, but not now; I behold him, but not near. A star will come out of Jacob; a scepter will rise out of Israel. He will crush the foreheads of Moab, the skulls of all the sons of Sheth.
- Lk.3:34 The son of Jacob, the son of Isaac, the son of Abraham, the son of Terah, the son of Nahor. (Mt.1:2)
5-- From the Tribe of Judah: Genesis 49:10, Luke 3:33.
- Gen.49:10 The scepter will not depart from Judah, nor the ruler's staff from between his feet, until he comes to whom it belongs and the obedience of the nations is his.
- Lk.3:33 The son of Amminadab, the son of Ram, the son of Hezron, the son of Perez, the son of Judah. (Mt.1:2-3)
6- Hair of the Throne of David: Isaiah 9:7.... Luke 1:32-33.
- Isa.9:7 Of the increase of his government and peace there will be no end. He will reign on David's throne and over his kingdom, establishing and upholding it with justice and righteousness from that time on and forever. The zeal of the Lord Almighty will accomplish this. (Isa.11:1-5; 2Sam.7:13)
- Luk.1:32-33: He will be great and will be called the Son of the Most High. The Lord God will give him the throne of his father David, and he will reign over the house of Jacob forever; his kingdom will never end." (Mt.1:1, 1:6)
Birth and Childhood:
7- Born in Bethlehem: Micah 5:2.... Matthew 2:1.... Luke 2:4-7.
- Mic.5:2 But you, Bethlehem Ephrathah, though you are small among the clans of Judah, out of you will come for me one who will be ruler over Israel, whose origins are from ancient times.
- Mt.2:1 After Jesus was born in Bethlehem in Judea, during the time of King Herod, Magi from the east came to Jerusalem. (Lk.2:4-7)
8- To be born of a Virgin: Isaiah 7:14, Matthew 1:18.... Luke 1:26-35.
- Isa.7:14 Therefore the Lord himself will give you a sign: The virgin will be with child and will give birth to a son, and will call him Immanuel.
- Mt.1:18 This is how the birth of Jesus Christ came about: his mother Mary was pledged to be married to Joseph, but before they came together, she was found to be with child through the Holy Spirit. (Lk.1:26-35)
9- Time of his birth: Daniel 9:25.... Luke 2:1:
- Dan.9:25 Know and understand this: From the issuing of the decree to restore and rebuild Jerusalem until the Anointed One, the ruler, comes, there will be seven "sevens" and sixty two "sevens." It will be rebuilt with streets and a trench, but in times of trouble.
- Lk 2:1-2 In those days Caesar Augustus issued a decree that a census should be taken of the entire Roman world. (This was the first census that took place while Quirinius was the governor of Syria.) (Lk 2:3-7)
- Mat.2:1 After Jesus was born in Bethlehem in Judea, during the time of King Herod, Magi from the east came to Jerusalem
10- Slaughter of the Innocent children: Jeremiah 31:15.... Matthew 2:16-18.
- Jer.31:15 This is what the Lord says: "A voice is heard in Ramah, mourning and great weeping, Rachel weeping for her children and refusing to be comforted, because her children are no more."
- Mt.2:16 When Herod realized that he had been outwitted by the Magi, he was furious, and he gave orders to kill all the boys in Bethlehem and its vicinity who were two years old and under, in accordance with the time he had learned from the Magi. (Mt 2:16-18)
11- Flight to Egypt: Hosea 11:1.... Matthew 2:14-15.
- Hos.11:1 When Israel was a child, I loved him, and out of Egypt I called my son
- Mt.2:14 So he got up, took the child and his mother during the night and left for Egypt. (Mt 2:15)
12- He shall be called a Nazarene: Judges 13:5.... Matthew 2:23.
- Jud.13:5 for the child shall be a Nazarite unto God
- Mt.2:23 And he came and dwelt in a city called Nazareth: that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the prophets, He shall be called a Nazarene
Passion:
13- Triumphal entry in Jerusalem on a donkey: Zechariah 9:9.... John 12:13-14.
- Zec.9:9 Rejoice greatly, O Daughter of Zion! Shout, Daughter of Jerusalem! See, your king comes to you, righteous and having salvation, gentle and riding on a donkey, on a colt, the foal of a donkey. (Isa.62:11)
- Jn.12:13-14 They took palm branches and went out to meet him, shouting, "Hosanna!" "Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord!" "Blessed is the King of Israel!" Jesus found a young donkey and sat upon it, as it is written. (Mt.21:1-11; Jn.12:12, Mk.11:7-9.)
14- Entry through the "Golden Gate", that shall be shut for ever after his entrance: Ezekiel 44:1-2.... Mark 11:7-8.
On Palm Sunday Jesus entered Jerusalem through the Golden Gate. When you go to Jerusalem look at the Golden Gate, it is shut with stone and cement, and with a Muslim cemetery in its front, through which a Jewish Messiah will never pass.
- Ez.44:1-2 Then the man brought me back to the outer gate of the sanctuary, the one facing east, and it was shut. 2 The LORD said to me, "This gate is to remain shut. It must not be opened; no one may enter through it. It is to remain shut because the LORD , the God of Israel, has entered through it.
- Mk.11:7-8 When they brought the colt to Jesus and threw their cloaks over it, he sat on it. Many people spread their cloaks on the road, while others spread branches they had cut in the fields.
15- Betrayed by a friend, for 30 pieces of silver: Zechariah 11:12, Psalm 41:9... Mark 14:10, Matthew 26:14-15.
- Ps.41:9 Even my close friend, whom I trusted, he who shared my bread, has lifted up his heel against me.
- Mk.14:10 Then Judas Iscariot, one of the Twelve, went to the chief priests to betray Jesus to them. (Mt.26:14-16; Mk.14:43-45)
- Zec.11:12 I told them, "If you think it best, give me my pay; but if not, keep it." So they paid me thirty pieces of silver. (Zec.11:13)
- Mt.26:15 And asked, "What are you willing to give me if I hand him over to you?" So they counted out for him thirty silver coins. (Mt 27:3-10)
16- Money to be returned for a potter's field: Zechariah 11:13.... Matthew 27:6-7.
- Zec.11:13 And the Lord said to me, "Throw it to the potter"- the handsome price at which they priced me! So I took the thirty pieces of silver and threw them into the house of the Lord to the potter.
- Mt.27:6-7 The chief priests picked up the coins and said, "It is against the law to put this into the treasury, since it is blood money." So they decided to use the money to buy the potter's field as a burial place for foreigners. (Mt.27:3-5,8-10)
17- Judas's position to be taken by another: Psalm 109:7-8.... Acts 1:18-20.
- Ps.109:7-8 When he is tried, let him be found guilty, and may his prayers condemn him. May his days be few; may another take his place of leadership
- Act.1:18-20 (With the reward he got for his wickedness, Judas bought a field; there he fell headlong, his body burst open and all his intestines spilled out. Everyone in Jerusalem heard about this, so they called that field in their language Akeldama, that is, Field of Blood.) "For, " said Peter, "It is written in the book of Psalms, "'May his place be deserted; let there be no one to dwell in it,' and, "'May another take his place of leadership.'" (Ac 1:16-17)
18- Accused by false witnesses: Psalms .27:12, 35:11.... Mt 26:60-61, Mk.14:57.
- Ps.27:12 Do not turn me over to the desire of my foes, for false witnesses rise up against me, breathing out violence. (Ps.35:11)
- Mt.26:60-61 But they did not find any, though many false witnesses came forward. Finally two men came forward and declared, "This fellow said, 'I am able to destroy the temple of God and rebuild it in three days.'"
19- Silent to accusations: Isaiah 53:7.... Matthew 26:62-63, Mark.15:4-5.
- Isa.53:7 He was oppressed and afflicted, yet he did not open his mouth; he was led like a lamb to the slaughter, and as a sheep before her shearers is silent, so he did not open his mouth. (Ps.38:13-14)
- Mt 26:62-63 Then the high priest stood up and said to Jesus, "Are you not going to answer? What is this testimony that these men are bringing against you?" But Jesus remained silent. The high priest said to him, "I charge you under oath by the living God: Tell us if you are the Christ, the Son of God!" (Mt 27:12-14, Mk.15:4-5)
20 - Spat and struck: Isaiah 50:6, Matthew 26:67.
- Isa.50:6 I offered my back to those who beat me, my cheeks to those who pulled out my beard; I did not hide my face from mocking and spitting.
- Mk.14:65 Then some began to spit at him; they blindfolded him struck him with their fists, and said, "Prophesy!" And the guards took him and beat him. (Mt.26:27, Mk.15:17; Jn 19:1-3; 18:22)
21- Hated without reason: Psalms 69:4, 35:19, 109:3-5.... John.15:24-25.
- Ps 69:4 Those who hate me without reason outnumber the hairs of my head; many are my enemies without cause, those who seek to destroy me. I am forced to restore what I did not steal. (Ps.35:19, 109:3-5)
- Jn.15:23-25 He who hates me hates my Father as well. If I had not done among them what no one else did, they would not be guilty of sin. But now they have seen these miracles, and yet they have hated both me and my Father. But this is to fulfill what is written in their Law: "They hated me without reason."
22- Soldiers divided his garments and gambled for his clothing: Psalm 22:18... Matt.27:35 (2 Prophecies)
- Ps 22:18 They divide my garments among them and cast lots for my clothing.
- Mt.27:35 And they crucified him, and parted his garments, casting lots: that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the prophet, They parted my garments among them, and upon my vesture did they cast lots (Mk.15:24).
23- Crucified, "pierced through hands and feet": Zechariah 12:10, Psalm 22:16.... Matthew 27:35, John 20:27.
- Ps.22:16 Dogs have surrounded me; a band of evil men has encircled me, they have pierced my hands and my feet. (Zec.12:10)
- Mt.27:35 And they crucified him.
- Jn. 20:25-26 Now Thomas (called Didymus)... he said to them, "Unless I see the nail marks in his hands and put my finger where the nails were, and put my hand into his side, I will not believe it." (Jn.19:37, 20:27)
24- Crucified with malefactors: Isaiah 53:12.... Mark 15:27-28.
- Isa.53:12 Therefore I will give him a portion among the great, and he will divide the spoils with the strong, because he poured out his life unto death, and was numbered with the transgressors. For he bore the sin of many, and made intercession for the transgressors.
- Mt 27:38 Two robbers were crucified with him, one on his right and one on his left. (Mk 15:27-28; Lk 23:33)
25- Agonized in Thirst: Psalm 22:15.... John 19:28.
- Ps.22:15 My strength is dried up like a potsherd; and my tongue cleaveth to my jaws; and thou hast brought me into the dust of death.
- Jn.19:28 After this, Jesus knowing that all things were now accomplished, that the scripture might be fulfilled, saith, I thirst.
26- Given gall and vinegar: Psalm 69:21.... Matthew 27:34, 48, John 19:19.
- Ps.69:21 They put gall in my food and gave me vinegar for my thirst.
- Mat.27:34 They gave him vinegar to drink mingled with gall: and when he had tasted thereof, he would not drink (Jn.19:29, Mat.27:48).
27- No bones broken: Psalm 34:20.... John 19:32-36.
- Ps 34:20 He protects all his bones, not one of them will be broken. (Ex 12:46)
- Jn 19:33 But when they came to Jesus and found that he was already dead, they did not break his legs.
28- His side pierced: Zechariah 12:10.... John 19:34.
- Zec.12:10 They will look on me, the one they have pierced, and they will mourn for him as one mourns for an only child, and grieve bitterly for him as one grieves for a firstborn son.
- Jn 19:34 Instead, one of the soldiers pierced Jesus' side with a spear, bringing a sudden flow of blood and water.
29- Deserted by God: Psalm 22:1.... Matthew 27:46.
- Ps.22:1 My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me? why art thou so far from helping me, and from the words of my roaring?
- Mat.27:46 And about the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying, Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani? that is to say, My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?
30- Vicarious Sacrifice: Isaiah 53:4-5, 6, 12.... Matthew 8:16-17, Romans 4:25, 5:6-8, 1 Corinthians 15:3.
- Isa.53:4-5 Surely he took up our infirmities and carried our sorrows, yet we considered him stricken by God, smitten by him, and afflicted. But he was pierced for transgressions, he was crushed for our iniquities; the punishment that brought us peace was upon him, and by his wounds we are healed. (Is. 53:6, 12)
- Mt.8:16-17 When evening came, many who were demon-possessed were brought to him, and he drove out the spirits with a word and healed all the sick. This was to fulfill what was spoken through the prophet Isaiah: "He took up our infirmities and carried our diseases." (Ro 4:25, 5:6-8, 1Cor 15:3)
31- Buried with the rich: Isaiah 53:9, Matthew 27:57-60.
- Isa.53:9 He was assigned a grave with the wicked, and with the rich in his death, though he had done no violence, nor was any deceit in his mouth.
- Mt.27:57-60 As evening approached, there came a rich man from Arimathea, named Joseph, who had himself become a disciple of Jesus. Going to Pilate, he asked for Jesus' body, and Pilate ordered that it be given to him. Joseph took the body, wrapped it in a clean linen cloth, and placed it in his own new tomb that he had cut out of the rock. He rolled a big stone in front of the entrance to the tomb and went away
32- Deserted by his followers: Zechariah 13:7.... Mark 14:27.
- Zec.13:7 smite the shepherd, and the sheep shall be scattered: and I will turn mine hand upon the little ones.
- Mk.14:27 And Jesus saith unto them, All ye shall be offended because of me this night: for it is written, I will smite the shepherd, and the sheep shall be scattered.
33- Time of his death: Daniel 9:25.... Luke 2:1, Matthew 2:1:
- Doing the proper computations, the Messiah was supposed to die on April 3, of the year 33 AC (Open Bible pag.833)
34- Resurrection of Jesus: Hosea 6:2, Psalms 16:10, 49:15..... Luke 24:6-7, Mark.16:6-7.
- Hos.6:2 After two days will he revive us: in the third day he will raise us up, and we shall live in his sight.
- Lk.24:6-7 He is not here, but is risen: remember how he spake unto you when he was yet in Galilee, Saying, The Son of man must be delivered into the hands of sinful men, and be crucified, and the third day rise again.
35- Other dead raised with Him: Isaiah 26:19, Ezekiel 37:7-10..... Matthew 27:52-53.
- Isa.26:19 Thy dead men shall live, together with my dead body shall they arise. Awake and sing, ye that dwell in dust: for thy dew is as the dew of herbs, and the earth shall cast out the dead.
- Ez.37:7-10 So I prophesied as I was commanded: and as I prophesied, there was a noise, and behold a shaking, and the bones came together, bone to his bone. And when I beheld, lo, the sinews and the flesh came up upon them, and the skin covered them above: but there was no breath in them. Then said he unto me, Prophesy unto the wind, prophesy, son of man, and say to the wind, Thus saith the Lord GOD; Come from the four winds, O breath, and breathe upon these slain, that they may live. So I prophesied as he commanded me, and the breath came into them, and they lived, and stood up upon their feet, an exceeding great army.
- Mat.27:52-53 And the graves were opened; and many bodies of the saints which slept arose, And came out of the graves after his resurrection, and went into the holy city, and appeared unto many.
36- Ascension to Heaven: Psalms 68:18, 24:3.....Lk 24:50-51, Acts 1:11, Mk.16:19.
- Ps.68:18 Thou hast ascended on high, thou hast led captivity captive: thou hast received gifts for men; yea, for the rebellious also, that the LORD God might dwell among them.
- Ps.24:3 Who shall ascend into the hill of the LORD? or who shall stand in his holy place?
- Lk 24:50-51 When he had led them out to the vicinity of Bethany, he lifted up his hands and blessed them. While he was blessing them, he left them and was taken up into heaven
- Act.1:11 Which also said, Ye men of Galilee, why stand ye gazing up into heaven? this same Jesus, which is taken up from you into heaven, shall so come in like manner as ye have seen him go into heaven.
37- Christ at the Right hand of the Father: Psalm 110:1..... Hebrews 1:2,3.
- Ps.110:1 The LORD said unto my Lord, Sit thou at my right hand, until I make thine enemies thy footstool.
- Heb.1:2,3 Hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son, whom he hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds; Who being the brightness of his glory, and the express image of his person, and upholding all things by the word of his power, when he had by himself purged our sins, sat down on the right hand of the Majesty on high;
Ministry:
38- The way prepared by John the Baptist: Isaiah 40:3,5.... John 1:23, Luke 3:3-6.
- Isa.40:3 The voice of him that crieth in the wilderness, Prepare ye the way of the LORD, make straight in the desert a highway for our God.
- Jn.1:23 He said, I am the voice of one crying in the wilderness, Make straight the way of the Lord, as said the prophet Isaiah
39- Preceded by a forerunner: Mal.3:1, Luk.7:24-27.
40- Preceded by Elijah: Mal.4:5-6, Matt.11:13-14.
41- Declared the Son of God: Ps.2:7, Matt.3:17.
42- Galilean Ministry: Is.9:1-2, Matt.4:13-16.
43- Speaks in Parables: Ps.78:2-4, Matt.13:34-35.
44- A Prophet: Deut.18:15, Jn.6:14, Acts 3:20-22.
45- Priest after the Order of Melchizedek: Ps.110:4, Heb.5:5-6.
46- To bind up the brokenhearted: Is.61:1-2, Luk.4:18-19.
47- Rejected by his own people, the Jews: Is.53:3, John 1:11.
48- Not believed: Is.53:1, John 12:37.
49- Adored by infants: Ps.8:2, Matt.21:15--16.
50- Anointed and eternal: Ps.45:6-7, Heb.1:8-12.
0 Replies

watchmakers guidedog

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2005 10:38 pm
This tree is bad for humans, I'm going to forbid them from eating it for their own benefit. Now where should I put it... I know, in the habitat where I'm keeping the humans.

Smart god huh?

If he was a touch brighter he would have just put the tree on jupiter somewhere or better yet on a planet around pegasus 51. Then again how bright is a god who can't even outwit Moses (a rather dense character if ever there was one) of all people?

Also trying to reconcile the new testament with the old testament is tantamount to trying to reconcile a tv series with the movie it was based on. They rarely match up.
0 Replies

XFRODOBAGGINSX

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2005 12:35 am
The tree of the knowlege of good and evil was purposely created by God to give Adam and Eve the chance to choose weather they wanted to obey God or disobey God. God wanted them to choose to believe Him, but gave them the opportunity not to. It's like when you meet a beautiful girl. If you love her, you want her to love you because she wants to, not because she is forced to.
0 Replies

watchmakers guidedog

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2005 12:42 am
XFRODOBAGGINSX wrote:
It's like when you meet a beautiful girl. If you love her, you want her to love you because she wants to, not because she is forced to.

And then if she chooses not to love you, lock her up in your basement and torture her forever. That's the lesson in morality we're supposed to be learning right?

Thanks for the advice mate, I'm getting the manacles and hot pokers ready.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2005 06:56 am
watchmakers wrote

Quote:
Also trying to reconcile the new testament with the old testament is tantamount to trying to reconcile a tv series with the movie it was based on. They rarely match up.

Indeed the copy is never as good as the original
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2005 07:16 am
I believe 100% that I will go to heaven. Not because I've read the bible. Or because I pray. Or because I never sin. Or because I go around witnessing to others. I believe I will go to heaven because I BELIEVE and I do the best that I can. God will not punish me for falling into the pitfalls He created. And He will not punish me for sinning. The only sin to keep you out of heaven (IMO) is to deny God. Any other sin is forgivable.
0 Replies

XFRODOBAGGINSX

Reply Sun 24 Apr, 2005 09:43 pm
Believe in what? So what you are saying is that YOU are right and the bible is wrong?
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2005 06:24 am
XFRODOBAGGINSX

The bible was written by man to keep people like you in line. If there is a God he certainly is not as portrayed in the bible,any bible.
0 Replies

SN95

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2005 10:23 pm
XFRODOBAGGINSX wrote:
Believe in what? So what you are saying is that YOU are right and the bible is wrong?

You tell me. I have a few relatively easy questions for you. For the sake of brevity I'll simply ask you some questions regarding Jesus' death and resurrection. Afterall, if you can't take your own bible and prove Jesus rose from the dead then we should not Believe in him. As Paul says, "And if Christ be not risen, then is our preaching vain, and your faith is also vain. Yea, and we are found false witnesses of God; because we have testified of God that he raised up Christ whom he raised not up, if so be that the dead rise not." (I Cor. 15:14-15)

1. To whom does (the resurrected Jesus) make his first appearance? Where does this appearance take place?

2. Did Jesus drink on the cross? If so, what did he drink?

3. Did either one of the two thieves believe in Jesus?

4. What were Jesus' last dying words on the cross?

5. How many days and how many nights was Jesus in the tomb?

6. How many people came to the tomb?

All I want you to do is answer ONE of these questions. Just one. Pick up your bible and read Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John and give me the answer. I'm saying the bible is wrong, you are saying it is right. This is your chance to prove me wrong. Shouldn't be hard to answer one of those questions it's in all four gospels. I'll await your answer.
0 Replies

XFRODOBAGGINSX

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2005 10:49 pm
"XFRODOBAGGINSX"Believe in what? So what you are saying is that YOU are right and the bible is wrong?

You tell me. I have a few relatively easy questions for you. For the sake of brevity I'll simply ask you some questions regarding Jesus' death and resurrection. Afterall, if you can't take your own bible and prove Jesus rose from the dead then we should not Believe in him. As Paul says, "And if Christ be not risen, then is our preaching vain, and your faith is also vain. Yea, and we are found false witnesses of God; because we have testified of God that he raised up Christ whom he raised not up, if so be that the dead rise not." (I Cor. 15:14-15)

1. To whom does (the resurrected Jesus) make his first appearance? Where does this appearance take place?

The people whom He is recorded as appearing to are

Mt 28:1 ¶ In the end of the sabbath, as it began to dawn toward the first day of the week, came Mary Magdalene and the other Mary to see the sepulchre.

Lu 23:50 ¶ And, behold, there was a man named Joseph, a counsellor; and he was a good man, and a just:
51 (The same had not consented to the counsel and deed of them;) he was of Arimathaea, a city of the Jews: who also himself waited for the kingdom of God.
52 This man went unto Pilate, and begged the body of Jesus.
53 And he took it down, and wrapped it in linen, and laid it in a sepulchre that was hewn in stone, wherein never man before was laid.
Mt 27:59; Mr 15:46
54 And that day was the preparation, and the sabbath drew on.
Mt 27:62
55 And the women also, which came with him from Galilee, followed after, and beheld the sepulchre, and how his body was laid.

The bible does not specify exactly. It specifies some of the people whom He met with, but not that they were the only ones or that it was His first appearance. Why do you ask? Where does it say otherwise?

Prophecy:

Ps 69:21 They gave me also gall for my meat; and in my thirst they gave me vinegar to drink.

Prophecy fulfilled:

Mt 27:34 They gave him vinegar to drink mingled with gall: and when he had tasted thereof, he would not drink.
(KJV)

Joh 19:29 Now there was set a vessel full of vinegar: and they filled a spunge with vinegar, and put it upon hyssop, and put it to his mouth.

Yes

Lu 23:41 And we indeed justly; for we receive the due reward of our deeds: but this man hath done nothing amiss.
42 And he said unto Jesus, Lord, remember me when thou comest into thy kingdom.
43 And Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee, To day shalt thou be with me in paradise.

Lu 23:46 And when Jesus had cried with a loud voice, he said, Father, into thy hands I commend my spirit: and having said thus, he gave up the ghost.

I beleive that these are but they may not be.

The first day was counted as one back then, just as in China to this day a person's age starts at one. Friday=1, Saturday=2, Sunday=3

3 days by the customs of that time. Just as the Chinese people start the ages of their children at 1 and not 0.

Why do you ask?

Does the bible say how many, or does it just record some. How can I know this?

All I want you to do is answer ONE of these questions. Just one. Pick up your bible and read Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John and give me the answer. I'm saying the bible is wrong, you are saying it is right. This is your chance to prove me wrong. Shouldn't be hard to answer one of those questions it's in all four gospels. I'll await your answer.

Now that I have answered, will you trust Christ as your Savior?
0 Replies

husker

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2005 11:11 pm
I'll say welcome XFRODOBAGGINSX - Just watching on.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2005 11:12 pm
In case you've never seen this before - enjoy:

Taken from: "30 days to understanding the Bible in 15 minutes a day!" Max Anders

The Old Testament begins when God created Adam and Eve in a perfect paradise. They later sinned and were driven out of the Garden of Eden, forced to live "by the sweat of their brow" in an imperfect world. As their offspring multiplied, sin also multiplied. Eventually, humanity became so sinful that, as judgment, God destroyed the earth with a universal flood, preserving only Noah and his immediate family on the ark to repopulate the earth.

Sin kept its hold over humanity, however, and once again people forgot God. As the years passed, God revealed Himself to Abraham (two thousand years before Christ), promising him a nation, many descendants, and a blessing that would ultimately extend to everyone on the earth. Abraham believed god and became the father of the Hebrew people. Abraham had a son, Isaac, and Isaac had a son, Jacob. The promises God made to Abraham were passed down through Isaac and Jacob. Jacob had twelve sons, and the promises were passed to all twelve sons, who became the fathers of the twelve tribes of Israel.

Jacob and his family of about seventy people were living in the land of Canaan (1) when a famine hit. They were forced to migrate to Egypt (2) to get food. In time, they became so numerous that they were perceived as a threat by the Egyptian people, and the Egyptians enslaved the Hebrew people for nearly four hundred years. Finally (approximately fifteen hundred years before Christ), God raised up Moses to lead them out of Egypt. with many astounding miracles, including the crossing of the Red Sea, they escaped Egypt and went to Mt. Sinai (3), where they received the Ten Commandments. Then they rebelled against God again and, as a judgment, wandered in the wilderness for forty years. When their time of judgment was up, they were allowed to enter the promised land (4). Moses died, and Joshua led in the conquest of the land.

Israel lived in the promised land in a loose governmental system, ruled by judges, for the next four hundred years. Samson and Samuel were the most famous judges. Then Israel insisted on establishing a monarchy (approximately one thousand years before Christ), and the Hebrews were ruled by kings for the next four hundred years. Saul, David, and Solomon were the first three kings, who ruled over a united monarchy for 120 years (forty years each). when Solomon died, the nation divided over the issue of taxation. There was now a northern kingdom, which kept the name Israel, because a majority (ten) of the tribes were loyal to the north, and the southern kingdom, which was called Judah, because Judah was by far the larger of the two southern tribes.

Because of the accumulating sin of Israel, Assyria, a nation to the northeast, came and conquered Israel (5) and scattered many of the people throughout that part of the world (6). About one hundred fifty years later, because of the accumulating sin of Judah, Babylonia came and conquered Judah (7), destroyed Jerusalem, and took many of the people into captivity in Babylonia (8).

About seventy years later, Persia defeated Babylonia, who had previously defeated Assyria. Thus Persia now ruled the entire part of the world from the eastern shores of the Mediterranean Sea to the borders of India. The king of Persia allowed the Israelites living in captivity in Babylonia to return to Jerusalem (9) to rebuild it. Fifty thousand people returned (approximately five hundred years before Christ), rebuilt the city, rebuilt the temple, and restored ceremonial worship of God. They continued to live that way for the next four hundred years. During that time, Persia fell to Greece, and Greece in turn fell to Rome. Rome was ruling that part of the world when Jesus was born.

The ministry of Jesus was preceded by the ministry of His cousin, John the Baptist, who warned the Jews to get ready for the coming of the Messiah. Jesus was born in Bethlehem, near Jerusalem, in fulfillment of Old Testament prophecy. Then Jesus and His parents, Mary and Joseph, moved back to their hometown in Nazareth, in the northern part of the country, Just west of the Sea of Galilee. There Jesus lived an apparently normal childhood until the age of Thirty, when all teachers, by Jewish custom, began their ministry. Jesus began His ministry in Jerusalem and in the surrounding area of Judea. His ministry was highlighted by authoritative teaching and remarkable miracles.

Because of mounting opposition to His ministry on the part of the Jewish religious leaders, Jesus went north to the area around the Sea of Galilee, making Capernaum on the north shore His home base. Much of His three year ministry was conducted in the area around Capernaum, though many events did not actually take place in Capernaum. Eventually, He returned to Jerusalem and, because of the jealousy of the religious leader, was soon crucified. Three days later He rose from the dead, and He showed Himself to His disciples several times over the next forty days. Then, with His disciples gathered around HIm on the Mount of Olives, just outside Jerusalem, He visibly ascended into heaven.

He had commissioned His disciples to take the new message of salvation through Christ to Jerusalem, Judea, and Samaria (the surrounding regions), and to the uttermost parts of the earth. The church was established in Jerusalem, and the first Christians were Jews. The church there was overseen by Jesus' apostles. the spread of the gospel to the surrounding area and uttermost parts of the earth focused primarily on the apostle Paul, who conducted missionary journeys into areas of Asia Minor and Greece (10). Finally, Paul was arrested and taken to Rome, where he was eventually executed for his faith. There were enough disciples however, not only in Jerusalem, but also in Asia Minor, Greece, and Rome, that the message not only lived on, but it grew until it became the dominant world religion.
0 Replies

SN95

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2005 11:44 pm
A valiant effort on your part. I had a feeling you would answer all of my questions which will strengthen my argument. Allow me to address each question individually.

Quote:
1. To whom does (the resurrected Jesus) make his first appearance? Where does this appearance take place?[/b]

The people whom He is recorded as appearing to are

Mt 28:1 ¶ In the end of the sabbath, as it began to dawn toward the first day of the week, came Mary Magdalene and the other Mary to see the sepulchre.

Lu 23:50 ¶ And, behold, there was a man named Joseph, a counsellor; and he was a good man, and a just:
51 (The same had not consented to the counsel and deed of them;) he was of Arimathaea, a city of the Jews: who also himself waited for the kingdom of God.
52 This man went unto Pilate, and begged the body of Jesus.
53 And he took it down, and wrapped it in linen, and laid it in a sepulchre that was hewn in stone, wherein never man before was laid.
Mt 27:59; Mr 15:46
54 And that day was the preparation, and the sabbath drew on.
Mt 27:62
55 And the women also, which came with him from Galilee, followed after, and beheld the sepulchre, and how his body was laid.

The bible does not specify exactly. It specifies some of the people whom He met with, but not that they were the only ones or that it was His first appearance. Why do you ask? Where does it say otherwise?

Yes, accoring to Matthew he appears first to the two Mary's. On the way to Jerusalem after leaving the tomb. (28:9)

Unfortunately Mark says he appears to Mary Magdalene only. (16:8-9)

Luke insist Jesus first appears to Cleopas and another in Emmaus (24:34, 18). This passage contradicts Mark's tale, Luke asserts that when the two followers who met Jesus on the road to Emmaus returned to Jerusalem and told the eleven about their encounter, the disciples declared. "It is true!" Whereas Mark insists that when the two reported their encounter, the disciples did not Believe! (Mark 16:13)

John asserts Jesus saw Mary Magdalene only. At the tomb (20:1, 11-14)

Quote:

Prophecy:

Ps 69:21 They gave me also gall for my meat; and in my thirst they gave me vinegar to drink.

Prophecy fulfilled:

Mt 27:34 They gave him vinegar to drink mingled with gall: and when he had tasted thereof, he would not drink.
(KJV)

Joh 19:29 Now there was set a vessel full of vinegar: and they filled a spunge with vinegar, and put it upon hyssop, and put it to his mouth.

According to some gospel accounts Jesus did drink and it was vinegar.

Unfortunately, according to Mark Jesus did NOT drink. He was offered wine mixed with myrrh. (15:23)

Quote:

Yes

Lu 23:41 And we indeed justly; for we receive the due reward of our deeds: but this man hath done nothing amiss.
42 And he said unto Jesus, Lord, remember me when thou comest into thy kingdom.
43 And Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee, To day shalt thou be with me in paradise.

Yes one of the thieves believed in Jesus? Sorry, not according to Matthew and Mark. Neither of the thieves believed in Jesus (Matthew 27:44 and Mark 15:32)

Quote:

Lu 23:46 And when Jesus had cried with a loud voice, he said, Father, into thy hands I commend my spirit: and having said thus, he gave up the ghost.

I beleive that these are but they may not be.

I understand your confusion. The gospel writers were quite confused themselves.

Matthew (27:46) and Mark (15:34) state Jesus' last words were "Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani?" or "My God, My God, why hast thou forsaken me?"

You seem to agree with Luke who asserts Jesus' last words were "Father, into thy hands I commend my spirit." (23:46)

John disagrees with everyone. Jesus' last words are simply "It is finished." (19:30)

Quote:

The first day was counted as one back then, just as in China to this day a person's age starts at one. Friday=1, Saturday=2, Sunday=3

3 days by the customs of that time. Just as the Chinese people start the ages of their children at 1 and not 0.

Why do you ask?

Correct.. according to Matthew, Mark, and Luke. John however states clearly it was 2 days and 2 nights (20:1).

Interestingly the other three state it was 3 days and 2 nights. Yet Jesus himself prophesied he would be in the tomb for 3 days AND 3 nights. (Mark 12:40)

Quote:

Does the bible say how many, or does it just record some. How can I know this?

Difficult isn't it. Well lets give the gospel writers one last shot. Easy question, how many people came to the tomb and who were they?

One -- Mary Magdalene ONLY (John 20:1)

Two -- Mary Magdalene and the other Mary (Matthew 28:1)

Three -- Mary Magdalene, Mary the mother of James, and Salome (Mark 16:1)

Four + -- Magdalene, Mary mother of James, Joanna, and other women (Luke 24:10)

So who do we believe? It's all in the new testament.

Quote:
Now that I have answered, will you trust Christ as your Savior?

Jesus will be an ongoing enigma to me. I posed these questions to you and I hope you can now see that quite simply none of these questions be answered. Faith is a powerful thing and if it makes you a stronger person then believe with all of your heart. However, keep your eyes open and do not simply believe what you have been told. The answers are out there for those who choose to look.
0 Replies

XFRODOBAGGINSX

Reply Sun 1 May, 2005 07:55 pm
0 Replies

XFRODOBAGGINSX

Reply Mon 2 May, 2005 10:36 pm
nothing that you have said proves that the bible contracts it's self. All it proves is that the different authors wrote it from different perspectives.

Here is a great example:

Mt 27:37 And set up over his head his accusation written, THIS IS JESUS THE KING OF THE JEWS.

Mr 15:26 And the superscription of his accusation was written over, THE KING OF THE JEWS.

Lu 23:38 And a superscription also was written over him in letters of Greek, and Latin, and Hebrew, THIS IS THE KING OF THE JEWS.

Joh 19:19 ¶ And Pilate wrote a title, and put it on the cross. And the writing was, JESUS OF NAZARETH THE KING OF THE JEWS.

Put them all together and they say:

THIS IS JESUS OF NAZARETH THE KING OF THE JEWS.

There is NO contradiction, just 4 different perspectives. If anything, this VALIDATES the word of God, not disproves it.
0 Replies

extra medium

Reply Tue 3 May, 2005 01:43 am
Hi XFrodoBagginsX,

You seem to have a firm grip on the Bible...

Respectfully, I submit a few questions that have troubled me when I read the Bible.

Some of these questions are from my own life, others are from various acquaintances I have encountered over the years.

I have a neighbor who insists on working on the Sabbath. Exodus 35:2 clearly states he should be put to death. Am I morally obligated to kill him myself?

I would like to sell my daughter into slavery, as it suggests in Exodus 21:7. In this day and age, what do you think would be a fair price for her?

I know that I am allowed no contact with a woman while she is in her period of menstrual uncleanliness (Lev. 15:19-24). The problem is, how do I tell? I have tried asking, but most women take offense.

Lev. 25:44 states that I may buy slaves from the nations that are around us. A friend of mine claims that this applies to Mexicans but not Canadians. Can you clarify?

A friend of mine feels that even though eating shellfish is an abomination (Lev. 10:10), it is a lesser abomination than homosexuality. I don't agree. Can you settle this?

My teenage son became rebellious, disobedient, and drank and ate too much. I knew that the Bible required me to gather my neighbors together and take my unruly son to the edge of the city and stone him to death (Deut. 21:21). Should I have obeyed the Bible?

My neighbor suspects his young vivacious wife with infidelity. He is consumed with jealously just thinking about this. His wife denies his accusations. The Bible (Numbers 5:11-31) provides a way to reconcile this dilemma for the couple. What it allows, is, for the husband to take his wife to the priests, or rabbis, and have her fed poison. If she is innocent she will not be harmed. If she is guilty she will get what she deserves; her insides will bloat and her thighs will rot away and she won't be able to have any more children (they already have five). My question to you is: "Do you believe this a failsafe way for my neighbor to handle this problem?"

I recently heard of someone who has come down with leprosy, of all things. According to the Bible (Leviticus 14:1-8), the first step in cleansing leprosy is to have the priests or rabbis to kill a dove and spill its blood into an earthen bowl. Then the priest or rabbi is to take a live dove and, dip it in the bowl of the blood of the first dove. Then the live bird is to be loosed in the fields. If this doesn't work one can take a larger more expensive animal, such as sheep, and do a similar exercise (the priest gets to eat the meat). Would you advise that this person to follow the Bible's advice?

My spouse, -- "the wife of my bosom" -- for some 57 years, has, in recent years, sought comfort and solace in some aspects of the "New Age" religions. She has talked repeatedly and glowingly, to me, other members of our family, and people generally, about the joy and contentment she finds in some aspects of this. Sometimes I fear she may be becoming a later-day pagan. She has definitely turned away after other gods. I am told (Deut.13:6-11), in no uncertain terms, that I must personally kill her, lest she contaminates me and others with these gentler, un-God like, non-biblical beliefs. I really don't want to stone her to death. Our children and our grandchildren love their mother and grandmother very much, and are opposed to my killing her, refuseing to help me as they are required to do. After all she is her children's mom. Is there any way out of this for me?

I have two brothers who pre-deceased their wives. One of these women was childless. I understand that it was my duty as the husband's brother (Deut. 25:5-10), to go in unto this childless sister-in-law, and bed her, and take her as my wife and bring up an heir for my poor dead brother. Did it matter that I was already married? Did it matter that my wife took a dim view of my actually doing this?
0 Replies