ABSINTHE QUESTION......

Reply Wed 2 Mar, 2005 09:10 pm
I just found out last week that the alcoholic drink Absinthe was legalized last year. I found out about this drink from the movie EuroTrip, I'v dissected over 80 websites this week finding out more about this drink. I live in Massachusetts and i was wondering if anyone has had this liquor. If so where do you live and what website did you get it from? I have 2 websites that i'm thinking about ordering from but i cant tell if there legit or not. i'm 22 years old and i'm in no way a druggie. if anyone has any info post it up..thx
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,902 • Replies: 13
No top replies

Adrian

Reply Wed 2 Mar, 2005 09:13 pm
It won't do anything but make you drunk...and it's tastes like crap....

IMO stick to beer.
0 Replies

Instigate

Reply Wed 2 Mar, 2005 09:15 pm
Dont bother with it, it is horrible, expensive and the stuff you might get over the internet has zero psychedelic properties
0 Replies

sublime1

Reply Wed 2 Mar, 2005 09:19 pm
Check here
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Wed 2 Mar, 2005 10:29 pm
I'm curious just to try it too, but I'm all set with dropping $100+ on a bottle of liquor, and nothing I've read convinced me it does anything but get you drunk.
0 Replies

sublime1

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2005 12:51 am
Same here, Maxim almost had me convinced but noone else can collaborate their story. A friend bought a bottle of Pernod online but it was the watered down version without the so called active ingredients and it was only eighty proof. It wasn't bad but it could easily be substituted with Jager.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2005 01:13 am
There's been on old thread on this subject here - my posts there still stand :wink:
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2005 03:44 am
My friend comes from Prague and brings Absinthe back with her,only £12 a bottle.
What you can do with it is pour a bit in a glass,get a spoonful of suger,dip it in the drink, set light to it,drop it in the drink so its all on fire, this warms it up them put a cover over it(using your hand should work and soesnt hurt)so no air gets in which extinguishes the flame.
Drink when warm.

But the previous post is correct,it doesnt taste amazing.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2005 06:00 am
material girl wrote:
My friend comes from Prague and brings Absinthe back with her,only £12 a bottle.

The price differs
- by country of origin,
- by volumen %
- by containt of thujone.

What the Czechs produce and call "Absinthe" has little to do with the original stuff at all besides the name.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2005 06:09 am
Quote:
"Green Fairy" comes out of hiding

swissinfo March 1, 2005 2:19 PM

The sale and production of absinthe has become legal in Switzerland, nearly a century after voters decided to prohibit the mythical liquor.

In Val-de-Travers, where bootleg versions have been made over the years, locals celebrated its new freedom. But others regret they no longer have the thrill of drinking an outlawed tipple.

http://www.swissinfo.org/xobix_media/images/keystone/2005/keyimg20050301_5571286_0.jpg
Out in the open at last: absinthe, or the Green Fairy, as it's known in the Val-de-Travers (Keystone)

Ludivines, the "Green Fairy" of absinthe, was symbolically removed on Tuesday from the police station in the town of Môtiers in the Jura mountains.

Surrounded by officers, she was released from a cage on the village square.

March 1 is the first time since 1908 that locals have been able to celebrate a regional holiday with a glass of absinthe, or "Green Fairy", as it is popularly known. Parliament voted to legalise the spirit last year, but also set guidelines for its production.

Today's absinthe must not contain more than 35 milligrams per kilograms of thujone - a toxic substance found in absinthe's main ingredient, dried wormwood. But not everyone is satisfied with this limit.

"It will be like drinking decaffeinated coffee," says Pierre-André Delachaux, a history professor. "I will keep on drinking illegal absinthe until the supply dries up, then I'll switch to whisky."

Delachaux, who has written a number of books about absinthe, fought long and hard against the legalisation of the "Green Fairy", claiming that it would destroy the drink's attraction and its authenticity.

Protection

But he has given up the fight, because he sees no point in going on.

"The ban has been lifted, now we have to get a Protected Designation of Origin for absinthe so the valley doesn't lose out to new competitors," he told swissinfo.

The Val-de-Travers is a quiet valley in northwestern Switzerland, where the main source of income is the local watch industry.

Absinthe is therefore seen as a great opportunity by the the valley's regional business and development association, which wants to capitalise on the area's historical ties with the drink.

"We couldn't ask for a Protected Designation of Origin until the ban was lifted, but we have been talking about it for some time now," admits Julien Spacio, the association's secretary.

It won't be easy since the association will have to prove that the Swiss associate absinthe with the Val-de-Travers.

While historically this holds true, the locals will have a fight on their hands because other regions are also interested in the potentially lucrative absinthe market. In the Valais region another kind of absinthe has been produced for years.

"It's essential for us to control production of absinthe in Switzerland," Spacio told swissinfo, adding that foreign competition will also be a challenge.

"We can't stop say, the Czechs, from producing absinthe, even if what they sell has nothing to do with our product," said Spacio.

Myth to live on

Until recently there were between 60 and 80 clandestine distilleries in the Val-de-Travers, which lies between Neuchâtel and Yverdon.

With the ban lifted, these bootleg producers should now be able to come out into the open.

But so far, only a few have asked for an official authorisation and according to the regional business association, a few cooperatives might also gear up for business.

"Producers can get together and ask for a single authorisation," said Spacio. "Part-time distillers can continue producing absinthe this way without worrying about commercial pressure."

Consumers who still want the thrill of an illegal - and stronger - tipple shouldn't despair.

Everybody in the Val-de-Travers expects some distillers to stay out the clutches of officialdom, perpetuating the myth of the "Green Fairy" in the years to come.

swissinfo, Alexandra Richard
Source
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2005 08:16 am
If THAT is what the Green Fairy looks like, definitely count me out!!!
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2005 08:21 am
Nah, the real one looks like Kylie.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2005 08:24 am
material girl wrote:
Nah, the real one looks like Kylie.

It can be bought legally only since March 1 - and what I saw of the illegal stuff looks exactly like that.

Where and when did you make your experiences, material girl?
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2005 08:50 am
Kylie plays the green Absinth fairy in Moulin Rouge, and shes a little stunner!!
0 Replies