Better to buy a newer or older home?

timberlandko

Reply Wed 1 Oct, 2003 12:30 am
Thanks, seattle ... rather than recount the whole perplexing episode, there's some discussion of it HERE.

It was a bummer for sure, but I'm gettin' over it.
0 Replies

seattlefriend

Reply Wed 1 Oct, 2003 01:36 am
Wow, did the headlines read 'Fire Started by Water'?
It's strange and scary to realize that flooding can do that since many of us have experienced a flooded basement at one time or another.

Seattle friend
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 1 Oct, 2003 08:48 am
Hi seattlefriend!

Well, we didn't buy a house last year, but looking likely that we will next year, so I'm glad to have all of this expertise in one place as I'm SURE I'll have questions.
0 Replies

seattlefriend

Reply Wed 1 Oct, 2003 11:52 am
Hi Sozobe!

Did you say that you are in the Chicago area? My mind had you located somewhere else for some reason. Or, is it okay to ask location if someone doesn't post it? I'm fairly new to this forum and I see that people here have good manners -- I don't want to be the exception! LOL

So you're looking for a house, and you're just waiting to find one that 'feels right'? That's what I did. When I saw this house 25 years ago, I immediately loved it. Except I hated the low ceiling in the LR/DR. Well, ha ha hee hee the ceiling at last is soaring and there are three large skylights! (It only took me 25 years to get to it.)

Seattle friend
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 1 Oct, 2003 08:03 pm
Hi there,

We're in the Chicago area now, but hubby is hopping back on the job-search hamster wheel and we may be moving next year. (He's gonna be a professor, so it's a seasonal thing... start applying soon for jobs that would actually start next fall.) We thought that he might get a job last year, which would've started a bit ago if he'd gotten it. He didn't. (Not a big deal, he has a job until September of 2005 for sure. Just looking around ahead of time at the possibilities so he isn't limited by what actually happens to be available in 2005 when he won't have a fall-back position.)

At any rate, I would like to move somewhere and then buy a house fairly quickly, so that the impact on the kiddo (almost 3) is minimized. We'll see how practical that turns out to be. But when we thought Minneapolis was a serious possibility last year (and it was serious, hubby was the #2 choice and would've had it if #1 turned it down), I found several really tantalizing possibilities just through Internet research and then site visits when we were there. So I'm (guardedly) optimistic. We'll see!
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 1 Oct, 2003 08:41 pm
So seattlefriend drops in and offends everybody on the forum. Ya, sure!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 1 Oct, 2003 08:44 pm
Wink
0 Replies

seattlefriend

Reply Wed 1 Oct, 2003 09:19 pm
Hi Roger!

Yes, me and my bad mouth (not!)

However, I'm planning a trip to the east coast very soon.
No tellin' how I'll come back talkin' !!!

Seattle friend (aka Seattlefiend)
0 Replies

kjvtrue

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2004 09:47 am
I have an old 1933 Bungalow House that has to many repairs that I can't afford to fix, so in that sense, I should sell it the way it is, and by a newer home.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2004 09:51 am
Oooh, 1933 Bungalow sounds nice, though, kjvtrue. Sorry it is in such disrepair. FL weather must be tough on houses.
0 Replies