What's Wrong With My Cookies???!!!!

Reply Sat 26 Feb, 2005 06:12 am
I used to make perfect cookies. Over the last month I'm become the laughing stock. Kids come home and say "MMM, something smells good." After recognising the smell I hear from the hallway, "Oh, Mom's attempting to make cookies again!"

The dough is like paste. Way too gooey. When baked they end up being puffy and cake like.

I thought it was the eggs, so I bought large (as called for by recipe) instead of extra large that Bear buys.

I thought it was the margerine, so I bought stick butter for perfect measuring.

I thought it was the oven so I adjusted the temp down, knwing it's off by about 5-10 degrees.

I tried adding more flour, but that made them worse. I don't sift the flour, but I never have in the past either and my cookies turned out perfect.

Any ideas?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,003 • Replies: 25
No top replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 26 Feb, 2005 07:19 am
Are you using a sugar substitute?

That will make for crappy baking even is the box says "use like sugar".
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 26 Feb, 2005 07:23 am
I thought you had a computer problem, squinney! Laughing

Not that I'm an expert, mind, but have you bought a different flour? A more refined one, perhaps?
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 26 Feb, 2005 07:34 am
Dontunnastand, Squinney. You just told us what's wrong with your cookies. Smile
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Sat 26 Feb, 2005 07:58 am
Here are some tips that might help. http://www.cafecreosote.com/Reference/CookieTips.php3

I would try increasing the butter content. What kind of flour do you use?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 26 Feb, 2005 08:14 am
Is there baking powder or soda in the recipe - that sort of question comes to mind.

Do you have an oven thermometer?

Seems like there's probably something wrong with the batter to begin with, and then oven temp is crucial for baking.

Where's the actual recipe, squinney - it'll be easier to look at your amendments in context.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 26 Feb, 2005 10:32 am
I only bake during the Holidays so I don't have any advice, but my girls would be happy to take your rejects off your hands. :wink:
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sat 26 Feb, 2005 12:04 pm
The only difference is Redband All purpose flour as opposed to Pillsbury All Purpose.

The baking powder is fresh, just bought last week.

I tried adding more butter, but then the batter gets gooey-er and the middle stays cakey while the edges get thin and brown. There would be NO way to roll this for cookie cutting, even if chilled. It's like peanut butter consistancy.

I'm measuring everything just right... Used to do this with a guess and a pinch!

This happens with the Nestle Tollhouse recipe and the sugar cookie recipe I use.

1/2 cup butter
2 large eggs
2/3 C sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp Baking powder
2 C flour

Can't get any simpler than that, it would seem. Anyone want to give it a try and see if it happens to you too?

Daughter has to make Snickerdoodles for Foods 1 class she missed while sick. Don't want this to happen to her sample she has to take in to the teacher.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 26 Feb, 2005 12:08 pm
hmmm

you've changed flour - dough's coming out too gluey?
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 26 Feb, 2005 12:25 pm
I have tried some of the low gluten flour for bread making and ended up with sticky soupy results.

I'm not familiar with Redband brand.

Does it perhaps have less gluten than other baking flour?
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 26 Feb, 2005 12:36 pm
Hmmm, maybe if you write in to Pillsbury's parent company (ConAgra?), they'll give you some free stuff?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 26 Feb, 2005 12:36 pm
Looking at the tips page Swimpy linked, and then at some other recipes, it seems it should maybe be baking soda not baking powder - and check the flour - is there anything 'special' about it?
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Sat 26 Feb, 2005 02:30 pm
This happened to me a while back. I tossed my baking powder and my baking soda and bought new. That worked for me.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Sat 26 Feb, 2005 02:58 pm
I agree with ehBeth, baking soda's what you want for chewy not cakey cookies.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sat 26 Feb, 2005 04:42 pm
Thanks everyone. We'll be baking tomorrow for daughters homework. (Snickerdoodles) Will buy real butter, new flour, and fresh baking soda and try the sugar cookies and chocolate chip cookies again. I'll let you know what happens... If I can still reach the keyboard! : )
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 26 Feb, 2005 06:12 pm
Good luck, squinney. A heavy responsibility there! Very Happy
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Mon 28 Feb, 2005 01:07 pm
I know. I feel like I'M getting graded again.

So, yesterday I buy more ingredients and try again. I bought enough to try several combinations to see what made the difference. I started with the Nestle Tollhouse Chocolate chip cookie recipe, and the only thing I changed was that instead of Sheds Spread margerine I used real butter. THEY WERE PERFECT!!!! Just changing to real butter made the entire difference. With just the butter, sugar, egg mix that you start with, I could already tell the texture was right.

Okay, so this afternoon daughter and I get in the kitchen for me to supervise the Snickerdoodles.

Still have enough for about six batches of anything from sugar, chocolat chip, snickerdoodle or peanut butter cookies. Looks like a bake sale might be in order! Laughing

Or a party. BYOM (Bring Your own milk)
0 Replies

Lady J

Reply Mon 28 Feb, 2005 02:28 pm
Can I please come to your house, squinney? I promise to even bring lots of milk to share! Smile
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 28 Feb, 2005 06:12 pm
Hooray and yummmmmm.

hamburger and mrs. hamburger will be driving past you early next week. maybe i should tell them to make a cookie stop Cool
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2005 01:05 am
Oh, I can't wait! Verdict on the Snickerdoodles, please! Did you pass, squinney? :wink:
0 Replies