In house breaker keeps tripping

Reply Sat 9 Jun, 2018 01:12 pm
I have a double 15 amp breaker in the house that keeps tripping. It just tripped a few minutes ago and the only thing running on it is a refrigerator, 1 = 5000btu window A/C. Just started doing this a month ago. We changed out the double 15 amp breaker a few weeks ago but this is the second time it has tripped since it was changed. Should I go to a larger breaker? Double 20amp maybe.????

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 9 Jun, 2018 01:32 pm
@pwofford64,
Assuming the new breaker is a good one, it is sufficient to do the job. It is not safe to put bigger breakers where a smaller one has always worked, especially if you are having trouble with tripping. There could be a simple solution, like discovering a loose connection or improper wiring. Perhaps the refrigerator itself is failing.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 9 Jun, 2018 01:37 pm
I failed to notice the A/C in your post. You are likely overloading the circuit and a bigger breaker seems unsafe to me. I would move the refrigerator connection, or the A/C to a different circuit.
0 Replies