Christmas lights tripping the breaker, but we are using less lights?

Reply Wed 28 Nov, 2018 11:04 am
Just wondering if anyone can help me, before my husband and I tear out our hair. We set up our Christmas lights outside, almost identical to last year, but we left out one strand of lights.....so we are using less lights.
Other than that it's plugged into the same outlet with the same outdoor rated extension cord, with the same timer.

But this year it trips the breaker every couple of minutes. It's like national lampoon madness.
Can anyone help me figure out why this would happen?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 1,006 • Replies: 7

hightor

Reply Wed 28 Nov, 2018 11:25 am
@Mrs Griswold,
If you're certain that there's no additional load — an electric space heater somewhere? — and you're using fewer lights you might need to replace your breaker; they can fail over time. Another thing to check — are you plugged into a GFI outlet?
engineer

Reply Wed 28 Nov, 2018 11:27 am
@Mrs Griswold,
One set of Lights has probably developed a ground. Try it with different sets of Lights until you figure out the one that's having a problem.
DrewDad

Reply Thu 29 Nov, 2018 12:20 pm
@engineer,
Less likely option is that the breaker has gone bad.
DrewDad

Reply Thu 29 Nov, 2018 03:25 pm
@DrewDad,
Just noticed the OP's screen name....

http://www.ismyhomesafe.ca/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/Clak-1170x658.jpg
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 29 Nov, 2018 03:33 pm
I would try engineer's solution first. Also do the same with any extension cords.
0 Replies

Mrs Griswold

Reply Wed 5 Dec, 2018 07:25 pm
Yea it's really the same set up as last year, minus a set of lights.

We will take a look at testing the lights separately, I didn't think of that, thank you!

We also thought the breaker might have gone bad, but I'm reluctant to have to deal with that.
All for stupid Christmas lights!!!

I was hoping to have a Griswold moment and just flip a switch for the bloody things to work.

Thanks for the replies.
0 Replies

Mrs Griswold

Reply Wed 5 Dec, 2018 07:29 pm
@hightor,
The outdoor outlets are linked to a box that looks like the GFI box.....like it has the little red and black buttons. That part is inside.

Our outdoor outlets have covers and are well siliconed in, so if moisture wasn't the problem last year, I don't think it is this year.

Such a pain in the butt.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Christmas lights tripping the breaker, but we are using less lights?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 10/26/2024 at 10:19:34