Foghorn Leghorn cartoons

Equus

Reply Wed 23 Feb, 2005 07:28 pm
What was the name of the DOG in Foghorn Leghorn cartoons?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 5,380 • Replies: 14
No top replies

Letty

Reply Wed 23 Feb, 2005 08:05 pm
Well, horseman. Here is what I found;

Barnyard Dawg - the guard dog for the barnyard who usually spends a good portion of the cartoon at either the giving or receiving end of a practical joke involving Foghorn. Although his job is to protect the chickens, he frequently takes an active role enabling Foghorn's pursuers to catch him. Mel Blanc supplied the voice for Dawg. There is some confusion and debate about the name of this character. For one thing, Foghorn never calls him by any name other than "Dawg" or "B'rer Dawg". His first Foghorn cartoon appearance was in the first one, Walky Talky Hawky in 1946, but the next year he appeared as "Mandrake" in the cartoon One Meat Brawl (which featured Porky Pig and Grover Groundhog). He appeared also as Elmer's dog (called Rover) in Don't Axe Me (1958). There are model sheets which list his name as either "Barnyard Dawg", "Barnyard Dog" or "Dawg". And finally, he was called George P. Dog during appearances on the Bugs Bunny cartoon
0 Replies

Equus

Reply Fri 25 Feb, 2005 10:29 am
Excellent, Letty. Thank you- this question has been keeping me up nights.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 25 Feb, 2005 11:39 am
Equus, I loved that leghorn's reply to Henry Hawk.

Ah, say; Ah say; that boy talks so much his tongue is gettin' sunburned. My word, how long it has been since Cheyenne Autumn and the anachronisms of movies.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Fri 25 Feb, 2005 07:48 pm
I can't remember but it's going to drive me crazy for the rest of the night. If I think of it, I'll get back.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 25 Feb, 2005 08:26 pm
er, glitterbag. We done thought of it.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Fri 25 Feb, 2005 09:23 pm
Letty,
Thanks, the next time I will actually read all the inputs instead of checking out the end of the thread.
0 Replies

MissFox

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2005 05:51 pm
I really miss that guy. I recently bought a 4 DVD set of old warner bros. cartoons. There aren't nearly enough foghorn leghorn shorts in the collection.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2005 07:23 pm
There was the bit where he'd grab a paling off the fence, lift up the dawg's tail and give him a paddlin', then run away just beyond the reach of the dog's leash. My father just used to LARF and LARF!!!
0 Replies

Equus

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 02:08 pm
My girlfriend's favorite Leghorn quote is, "I say, that boy's about as sharp as a sack of wet mice."

Isn't Foghorn Leghorn based on a character from Fred Allen's radio show- Senator Beauregard Claghorn?
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 04:35 pm
Yes, Foghorn Leghorn was based on Senator Claghorn, a longtime resident of "Allen's Alley". Kenny Delmar was the voice of Senator Claghorn, but the master of voices Mel Blanc was the voice of Foghorn.
0 Replies

Marzy

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 09:09 pm
Chicken Hawk
Hello;
first time on the forum. Would like to know more 'bout the chicken hawk in the cartoons. What was his name, what kind of hawk was he cartooned after?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 09:52 pm
Go 'way son, ya bother me . . .
0 Replies

Equus

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2005 01:06 pm
I don't know the name of the memorable chicken hawk character (I yam a chicken hawk, and YOU'RE a chicken!...)

But Henrietta was the name of the adoring spinster hen that had a yen for Foghorn.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2005 06:07 pm
Henry Hawk
0 Replies