Too much of a good thing

Reply Wed 23 Feb, 2005 12:31 pm
Sometimes something worth doing is worth overdoing.
Stanislaw J. Lec (Polish writer)

Does this thought contradict the old adage that one can have "too much of a good thing"? Does it fly in the teeth of Aristotle's admonition to seek the Golden Mean and eschew extreme points of view and extreme actions? Do you agree or disagree with the sentiment expressed?

(Furthermore, I don't read Polish. So, is this, perhaps, a poor translation of what the writer really meant?)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 978 • Replies: 13
No top replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 23 Feb, 2005 12:49 pm
I don't believe you can have too much of a good thing. Ever. There are so many crappy things in this life, having a lot of a good thing can't be anything but good.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 23 Feb, 2005 12:51 pm
Ok, I take it back. You can have too much of a good thing. Like money. Money is a good thing. But sometimes, when people get a lot of it, it ruins them.

However, love, which also is a good thing, you can NEVER have too much of.

I take back my first statement. You CAN have too much of a good thing, but it depends on the thing and the person who has it.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 23 Feb, 2005 12:52 pm
too much of a good thing is wonderful
Mae West.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 23 Feb, 2005 01:22 pm
If your translation is correct, I see a huge difference between "doing" and "having".

But I think both over-doing and over-having can be just as dangerous as under-doing and under-having.

For example: chocolate is a good thing and studies suggest that a little of the right chocolate can even be good for you. Too much chocolate makes you fat, rots your teeth, clogs your arteries and so on and so on.

Wine? A little is a good thing, too much is not a good thing at all.

Work is a good thing - too much work robs you of your life.

I'm very content with medium-do and medium-have.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Wed 23 Feb, 2005 02:49 pm
Thank you for your responses. Are we agreed, then, that anything worth doing is worth doing only up to a point of diminishing returns? That anything beyond that is overkill?
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Wed 23 Feb, 2005 02:56 pm
Yes, and you need balance. Hasn't it been said that humans need tragedy to counterbalance joy? Just like 9-11, people rallied and were so productive and cooperative and loving with each other - a result of abject despair and tragedy. We don't hug and tell each other we love each other 20 times a day because then it becomes rote. But when it's a special hug here and there, just because, that is extra meaningful and appreciated.
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Wed 23 Feb, 2005 08:37 pm
From an economical point of view, the law of diminishing marginal utility states that there will be a point where a product will provide less and less satisfaction.

From my philosophical point of view, yeah there can be too much of a good thing depending on what you mean by "good" of course.

An experiment on mice shows that when an electrical or magnetic signal is stimulated in the part of the brain that gives the feeling it gets from having sex, the mice will keep pressing the button that stimulated the feeling even when it is exhausted. This shows the nature of addiction and how too much of a good thing can really do harm your or someone in this sense.
0 Replies

val

Reply Thu 24 Feb, 2005 01:25 am
Re: Too much of a good thing
Merry Andrew

Sorry. but is it Stanislaw Lec or Stanislaw Lem?
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Thu 24 Feb, 2005 06:01 am
I don't think you can get enough of a good thing. When you think you do it is because of the fact that what you think is a good thing isn't good at all, and you realize it slowly as you get more and more.

The initial quote, "sometimes something worth doing is worth overdoing", seems perfectly edible at first glance, but it is really just a wordplay. What is to overdo something?
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 24 Feb, 2005 06:53 am
Val, gee, now I'm not sure. I got the quote off an internet site and now I can't find the site again. I'll keep looking. You could be right. I didn't cut-and-paste but retyped it.
0 Replies

val

Reply Fri 25 Feb, 2005 07:24 am
Merry Andrew

I asked that because Lem was a great s/f writter. The film "Solaris" was based in one of his novels. But my favorite book is "The congress of Futurology", a sarcastic novel where he shows the absurd of the communist propaganda in the east Europe countries in contrast with the sordid reality of the daily life. I think it remains very actual.

About the topic, I agree with Ciracuz. When we get tired of something we considered good, it's because it is not good anymore.
Example: I like fish, like sole. But if I had to eat sole every day, I think I would be sick only by the view of a sole. The same thing can be bood or not, depending on the situations.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Fri 25 Feb, 2005 07:30 am
Val, then it very likely was Lem not Lec. The quote comes from a site called Daily Thoughts. They e-mail me a daily reminder to fight hunger, along with a nice phoyograph of some sort and a quote of some sort. Yoiu hekp to donate food to the hungry by clicking on the site. I click each day, then delete the mail. I don't think they maintain an archive so now I can't find the quote again.

Thanks for your input.
0 Replies

theantibuddha

Reply Sun 27 Feb, 2005 12:21 pm
Everything in Moderation...

including moderation Wink
0 Replies