Worst Virus Ever, CNN REports

Reply Mon 21 Feb, 2005 09:32 pm
WORST VIRUS EVER ---CNN ANNOUNCED

PLEASE SEND THIS TO EVERYONE ON YOUR CONTACT LIST!!

A new virus has just been discovered that has been classified by Microsoft as the most destructive ever. This virus was discovered yesterday afternoon by McAfee and no vaccine has yet been developed. This virus simply destroys Sector Zero from the hard disk, where vital information for its functioning are stored.

This virus acts in the following manner:
It sends itself automatically to all contacts on your list with the title:
"A Card for You".

As soon as the supposed virtual card is opened the computer freezes so
that the user has to reboot. When the ctrl+alt+del keys or the reset button are pressed, the virus destroys Sector Zero, thus permanently destroying the hard disk. Yesterday in just a few hours this virus caused panic in New York, according to news broadcast by CNN.

This alert was received by an employee of Microsoft itself.
So don't open any mails with subject: "A Virtual Card for You." As soon as you get the mail, delete it!!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 6,491 • Replies: 30
No top replies

fishin

Reply Mon 21 Feb, 2005 09:52 pm
This is an old and well-known virus hoax.

http://antivirus.about.com/cs/hoaxes/p/virtualcard.htm
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 21 Feb, 2005 10:10 pm
Well known to everyone but me, prior to now.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Tue 22 Feb, 2005 01:39 am
Panic in New York! Millions of computer users running out into the streets, rioting, drinking to excess, trashing the Stock Exchange and making mad, animal love in Central Park!

Edgar - this dream MUST become a reality! Make it so!
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Tue 22 Feb, 2005 04:30 am
Fishin's site is the one to go to every time you get one of wowser emails.

Joe(my computer virsus runs nose.exe.)Nation
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Tue 22 Feb, 2005 04:57 am
edgarblythe wrote:
Well known to everyone but me, prior to now.

Don't feel bad, edgar.

I got that e-mail again this week about putting our Washington representation on Social Security, which was Snoped long ago. And naturally I had forgotten, and nearly over-reacted.

Of course, it was one of my right-wingnut friends who sent it to me...

...so I didn't.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 22 Feb, 2005 05:42 am
If this was the first mistake I ever made it would be something. Just another in a long line . . .
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Tue 22 Feb, 2005 04:03 pm
Don't feel to badly about it edgar! I probably get 3 or 4 similar e-mail warnings from friends and relatives every day so I just got in the habit of checking their validity as a matter of course. Some of these things look awfully convincing.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Thu 24 Feb, 2005 01:59 am
edgarblythe wrote:
If this was the first mistake I ever made it would be something. Just another in a long line . . .

Edgar, matey, just about EVERYTHING you see on the Internet is total bulls*it (excluding this site, of course). No problem - run anything through Google first and save yourself some hassles.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 24 Feb, 2005 03:58 am
SARC and AVERT are at the top of my list for verifyin' virus alerts.

And email forwards from concerned, even alarmed, freinds and family warnin' of a viscious new cyber calamity are right at the very bottom of that list.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Thu 24 Feb, 2005 04:50 am
Which one is better for a home use computer w/cable-modem connection? I have a firewall from something Time/Warner offered free for a year (E-Zone) but I don't really trust it and I've used Norton anti virus since 1999. Going to upgrade to something, just need to choose.

(Btw, the same people who send me the WATCH OUT FOR THE NEEDLE IN THE MOVIE THEATRE and THIS VIRUS WILL CAUSE YOUR REFRIGERATOR TO MELT INTO A PUDDLE OF WHITE OOZE are the same people who do NOT (still, yet, in 2005......) have any anti-virus protection on their computers.)

Joe( A woman was walking to her car when a man approached..)Nation
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 24 Feb, 2005 06:05 am
I think it's more fun to spread panic than to check my sources. I can then blame it on encroaching old age.
----------------------------
Actually, this message came from someone I regard as normally very meticulous. This one just caught him at a vulnerable moment.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 24 Feb, 2005 08:59 am
Joe Nation wrote:
Which one is better for a home use computer w/cable-modem connection? I have a firewall from something Time/Warner offered free for a year (E-Zone) but I don't really trust it and I've used Norton anti virus since 1999. Going to upgrade to something, just need to choose.

See This Discussion, Joe. Your connection type is not a particularly significant factor. As for which is best, it pretty much comes down to what works best for you in your situation. Whatever you choose, take the time and effort to go over the pertinent documentation in order to learn how to most effectively and appropriatelyconfigure and deploy the chosen app. Apart from the in-built help files, the vendors' websites often have FAQs, detailed tutorials, and even user support forums. The best way to get a job done right is to have and use the right tools.

Goin' on, Joe (always fun to read) Nation wrote:
(Btw, the same people who send me the WATCH OUT FOR THE NEEDLE IN THE MOVIE THEATRE and THIS VIRUS WILL CAUSE YOUR REFRIGERATOR TO MELT INTO A PUDDLE OF WHITE OOZE are the same people who do NOT (still, yet, in 2005......) have any anti-virus protection on their computers.)

Good point ... pretty much true. I think perhaps the worst of the lot are those who think they are protected but are not; often secure in the thought "My computer came with it", their antivirus has expired, or never been updated ... or both.

edgar, you've got a good point there with the entertainment value of spreadin' panic ... and I like the "encroaching old age" excuse ... think I'm gonna steal that. Laughing
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 25 Feb, 2005 07:31 am
This is a email from the FBI. We want you to answer some questions. Start with your personal info -
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Fri 25 Feb, 2005 07:47 am
I represent the Nigerian consulate and we want to transfer money to your account. Please provide your bank routing number...
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 25 Feb, 2005 08:06 am
Timber: Thanks so much for Monger's thread See here

It's the best information I've seen. It's almost as if there was some kind of bulletin board website for answers to ones questions.

We should start something like that.

== but first I have to warn you that your accoutn at Washington Mutual Savings may have be compromized. Please reassure yourself by posting your name, account number, PIN access and mother's maiden name at thes realiziticlly re-created website (CLICK HERE).

Joe(who falls for this crap?) Nation

PS Oh and Bill Gates wants to compare how good his email service is to Abecrombie and Fitch's, so email all your friends and have them send a MSG to him saying HI U R HOT and he will send you $108,345.16 next week. This is really true, I am a lawyer. So believe you me.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 25 Feb, 2005 08:07 pm
Today's latest:

Dear Sir/Ma

I am Barrister Hassan Adebayo, a solicitor at law. I am the personal attorney to late Mr. ALLEN GUILLORY, a national of the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, who used to work with aVENTI Construction Company in Nigeria. Here in after shall be referred to as my client.

On the 21st of April 2003, my client, his wife and their only daughter were involved in a car accident along sagbama express road. All occupants of the vehicle unfortunately lost there lives. Since then I have made several enquiries to your embassy here to locate any of my clients extended relatives, this has also proved unsuccessful.

After these several unsuccessful attempts, I decided to contact you. I have contacted you to assist in repartrating the fund valued at US$4.5million left behind by my client before it gets confisicated or declared unserviceable by the AFRICAN DEVELOPMENT BANK GROUP(A.D.B), where this huge amount were deposited.The said BANK has issued me a notice to provide the next of kin or have the account confisicated within the next fourteen official working days.

For the fact that I have been unsuccesfull in locating the relatives for over 2 years now, I seek the consent to present you as the next of kin to the deceased, so the fruit of the old man's labour will not be squandered by some corrupt Nigerians that the proceeds of this account can be paid to you. Therefore, I have decided to give you 35% of this amount, 65% for me.and then discuss the modalities for the transfer.

I have all necessary information and legal documents needed to back you up for claim. All I require from you is your honest cooperation to enable us see this transaction through.I guarantee that this will be executed under legitimate arr angement that will protect you from any breach of the law.Please get in touch with me through or Advise me on when best to call you.

Best regards,

Barrister Hassan Adebayo
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 25 Feb, 2005 09:39 pm
Wish I had fifty bucks for every letter like that last one I've recieved. I could take a nice vacation - to a great place like Nigeria.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 25 Feb, 2005 09:43 pm
A hoax. http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/virtual.card.for.you.html
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 26 Feb, 2005 09:55 am
Hi, CI. Long time no see. Course I'm a mud turtle and you're an eagle. No mystery why we don't cross paths.
0 Replies