Liberals - Practice Conservative Argument Techniques

Ethel2

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2005 12:11 pm
Quote:
17. The public has a right to know about Hillary's cattle trades but
George Bush's Harken Oil stock trade are none of our business.

I especially like this one, Squinney. Does anyone here know about Bush's Harken Oil stock trade? Does anyone know the little trick he played with the board of governors of the University of Texas?

Could we have a show of hands, please?
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2005 12:17 pm
Why do I have this sense that you're going to tell us, regardless of how many hands are in the air?
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2005 01:18 pm
So now back to our topic:

(All capitalized, italicized and bold face letters are those of the author of this list, Luntz)

Quote:
Appendix: The 14 Words Never To Use

Sometimes it is not what you say that matters but what you don't say. Other times a single word or phrase can undermine or destroy the credibility of a paragraph or entire presentation. This memo was originally prepared exclusively for Congressional spouses because they are your eyes and ears, a one-person reality check and truth squad combined. However, by popular demand, I have included and expanded that document because effectively communicating the New American Lexicon requires you to STOP saying words and phrases that undermine your ability to educate the American people.

So from today forward, YOU are the language police. From today forward, these are the words never to say again.

NEVER SAY:

1. Government

INSTEAD SAY:

Washington

The fact is, most Americans appreciate their local government that picks up their trash, cleans their streets, and provides police and transportation services. Washington is the problem. Remind voters again and again about Washington spending, Washington waste, Washington taxation, Washington[/[/i]B] bureaucracy, Washington rules and Washington regulations. Then remind voters that if Washington created this mess, it is Washington's responsibility to fix it. "If we expect to succeed, we must look to ourselves and not to Washington to raise our kids, start our businesses and improve our day-to-day lives." If you must talk about government, use the context defined by President Bush: "Government should help people improve their lives, not try to run their lives."

NEVER SAY:

2. Privatization/Private Accounts

INSTEAD SAY:

Personalization/Personal Accounts

Many more Americans would "personalize Social Security than "privatize" As a matter of fact, two-thirds of Americans want to personalize Social Security while only one-third would privatize it. Why? Personalizing Social Security suggests ownership and control over your retirement savings, while privatizing it suggests a profit motive and winners and losers. BANISH PRIVATIZATION FROM YOUR LEXICON.

That's the first two.

More to come.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2005 01:20 pm
Ticomaya wrote:
Why do I have this sense that you're going to tell us, regardless of how many hands are in the air?

You're paranoid?
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2005 01:20 pm
<yawn> and bored.....
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2005 01:28 pm
Ticomaya wrote:
<yawn> and bored.....

You didn't answer the question. Do you know about it?
0 Replies

parados

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2005 01:29 pm
I have no problem with "Washington is the problem" as long as we remind everyone that "Republicans control every branch of Washington".

So, lets just take one more step in Luntz's shorthand. "Republicans are the problem." Republican spending, Republican waste, Republican rules, Republican taxation.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2005 01:30 pm
Lola wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:
<yawn> and bored.....

You didn't see my hand in the air, did you?
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2005 01:30 pm
I thought Karl Rove was the problem Smile
0 Replies

parados

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2005 01:46 pm
Just,
Luntz is teaching us to keep it simple.
Not everyone knows who Rove is. Rove is a republican. And everyone knows what a republican is. So. KISS.

Republicans are the problem.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2005 01:48 pm
I
Quote:
have included and expanded that document because effectively communicating the New American Lexicon

Notice that it's the New American Lexicon, not the new Republican or Conservative Lexicon. That's a little presumptuous.

What can liberals learn from these first two on the dos and don'ts list? First, I think we should not use their words unless we can use their words against them. So I think we should always say, "government" and never say "Washington" Because fact is, government is important and necessary for the American people. We can point out that it's not government that is the problem, but rather who is using government and to what ends it's being used. For instance, Bush's quote above is useful, "Government should help people improve their lives, not try to run their lives." This should include our private lives in our bedrooms and in religion. Government should insure fairness and safety for all it's citizens, not just some.

2. Since Privatization IS about profit (Wall Street's profit, to be exact) and not about a private citizen's personal control over retirement (and forget the poor) we should use the word, privatization. Especially since two-thirds of Americans are not in favor of privatization. This indicates that they don't approve of the huge profits made by big business (GW and friends). So we should emphasize just exactly who will benefit from privatization. It's certainly not the American people (except for those very few, filthy rich people who want to get richer).
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2005 01:51 pm
parados wrote:
Just,
Not everyone knows who Rove is. Rove is a republican. And everyone knows what a republican is. So. KISS.

Only for the next century or so. Then, if the Dems are good little boys and girls, we 'might' let you back in. Smile

<That's only if you 'get it', though. So far, you don't.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2005 01:52 pm
JustWonders wrote:
I thought Karl Rove was the problem Smile

Rove is a marketing genius and we should learn and emulate his techniques. All those techniques that are fair, that is. You'll notice that his cheating tactics aren't typed out and listed for everyone to see, indicating that he does know better, but he does it anyway. Anything to win is Rove's motto.
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2005 01:56 pm
Maybe he'll write a "how-to" book for y'all. Smile
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2005 01:57 pm
JustWonders wrote:
parados wrote:
Just,

Only for the next century or so. Then, if the Dems are good little boys and girls, we 'might' let you back in. Smile

<That's only if you 'get it', though. So far, you don't.

You've got to be kidding. All the conservatives are doing is setting it up for another 60s revolution. And I'm all for it. I had a lot of fun in the 60s, so let's just do it again.

There's more than one way to get in and in this scenario, we're not politely knocking on the door. So your permission will be wasted, even if you would give it. Rolling Eyes Laughing very funny
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2005 01:58 pm
JustWonders wrote:
Maybe he'll write a "how-to" book for y'all. Smile

I think we're doing fine without you, but thanks for the offer, sweetie.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2005 01:59 pm
Ticomaya wrote:
Lola wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:
<yawn> and bored.....

You didn't see my hand in the air, did you?

I can't see your hand, Tico, so how would I know where it is at this moment?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2005 01:59 pm
You've got to be kidding. All the conservatives are doing is setting it up for another 60s revolution. And I'm all for it. I had a lot of fun in the 60s, so let's just do it again.

I agree! The conservatives are pushing too hard, and it's going to bite them in the arse.

If we can get some nice pan-spectrum virophages out of high technology in the next ten years or so, we could make the 60's look like a bunch of puritans sitting around sewing.... hee hee

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2005 02:00 pm
Heading back to the 60's huh? LOL.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2005 02:01 pm
parados wrote:
Just,

I think this is a very good idea, parados. A+
0 Replies