JustWonders

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 08:58 am
Thanks, McG Smile

I was sure that was Scrappleface LOL.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 10:08 am
Quote:

Before they crown him, I suggest they put some clothes on his boney bare ass.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 10:11 am
McGentrix wrote:
Here is one for all my liberal friends on A2K...

Supreme Court to Overturn Magna Carta

Excellent demonstration of the technique, McG. Suggestion, parody and ridicule can be used by both sides.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 10:13 am
Our present situation is proof that you don't have to behead people to behead a government.
0 Replies

supportourbutchers

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 11:20 am
Hi Lola

With "leftists" adamantly supporting our troops irrespective of their torture jamboree in Iraq, it seems the one party state is here to stay.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 11:45 am
Lola wrote:
I see there's been naughtiness on this thread since I've been absent for the last day or so.

I'm not happy with people who show up simply to disrupt my thread.

Mr. dttt........I suggest you change your name and get back on topic.

Is that better, Lola?
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2005 05:10 am
Actions speak louder than words.That's right isn't it?

This guy you're all upset about and censoring his user name is only on words after all.
When you pop a coin or a note into an IRA collection box like you have been doing that's an action.And actions speak louder than words.The idea of putting money in an IRA collection box is to help produce death to British troops and civilians including kids.Oh-and lynch mobs as well.
This guy is child's play to somebody whose actions speak louder than words.They take the money and they go buy some guns and explosives and they use them to blow up troops and civilians who belong to a nation which is supposed to be your No1 ally and friend.
It's about time you got your priorities right.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2005 05:22 am
There is also the possibility that this guy you're all knicker twisting about has detected a degree of complacency in certain circles regarding money priorities for the troops.That the war is slipping out of your concentration zones as you battle your way to the shops and the bars and suchlike and he is raising the hackles to shove the war back up the priority list where it belongs.There are a good number of shortages I've heard about regarding safety of the troops which could all be fixed with a realignment of resource allocations.And some of those shortages are responsible for some troops being killed and injured.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2005 05:31 am
What's the difference between these words which have you all a tremble and "bring 'em on".In the effect I mean.As words they don't matter.

And if the war actually is "evil" and the troops are the ones carrying out the policy then surely the liberal position ought to be right on with what has been said.Unless there are relativities in "evil" which you can have but only for the purpose of posturing.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2005 06:21 am
knicker twisting?

very funny, spendius
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2005 06:31 am
Speaking from experience I might say that the more troops who get killed and injured the greater is the "hero" status of the ones who remain unscathed when they return home.Troops who return home from a cushy posting where nobody has even heard a shot fired are often asked how much they enjoyed their holiday.It's a bet you take when you join up.It isn't a drawing room game or a reason for speech-making from the armchairs of bleeding-hearts.

Anyway,it's a timely reminder of what the insurgents are thinking and saying and even dreaming.You don't seriously think the Marines are interested in what some cloth-head back home is spouting.He's water off a duck's back.

We once had a whole year where not one British soldier got killed and would you believe questions were asked in public about what we were paying them for by the defence cuts lobby.

No wonder Mr Rumsfeld is bad tempered.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2005 06:39 am
Lola:-

What's all this depression stuff and jumping off balconies?You don't get any of that on intellectual threads.

What's it like 19 floors up.Don't you get vertigo?I would.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2005 06:48 am
And I didn't even get started on the philosophy.

The idea that war is creative.Part of human destiny.Like when you grabbed Mexico and all the other places.

See you all on Monday.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2005 07:38 am
It looks as if my philosophical debating technique of making your opponents look so ridiculous that they slink off sulking has worked.A big Lola thread has come to a grinding halt with an itsy-bitsy yellow polka-dot bikini of realism.

And how often have we heard the well-scrubbed cliche about going to the barricades to defend somebody's right to free speech.Looks like that was a load of tosh as well as all the rest.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2005 08:59 am
So, quiz question: please describe in any number of words, so long as the chosen number floats upon a mathematically aesthetic wavelength, the importance of Gorgeous George to the early development of Dylan(apostrophe)s self esteem.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2005 09:34 am
Which number is this? It's from the Family Research Council.......Unbelievable

March 22, 2005

Schiavo Ruling: Erring on the Side of Death

Imagine terrorist Osama Bin Laden being put on trial in the United States and sentenced to die a slow, painful death. Now imagine during the appeals process a presiding judge saying, "continue with the death sentence. If Mr. Bin Laden dies or suffers while I am thinking, then so be it." Death penalty opponents would be rightfully outraged. Any human being, no matter how despicable, has certain rights - especially in the U.S. court system. However these same rights are being denied to the innocent Terri Schiavo? U.S. District Judge James Whittemore has refused to have Terri Schiavo's feeding tube reinstated while her parents pursue the federal appeal Congress has granted them.

There is compelling evidence that key facts of Terri's case have been ignored by the judicial system. Judge Greer dismissed any motion for basic tests despite over 33 affidavits from doctors and other medical professionals contending that Terri's condition should be reevaluated, and that Terri could respond favorably to therapy. Until these troubling questions, and numerous others, are answered, to err on the side of life is a good motto to keep in mind. At the link below, John Stemberger, president and general counsel of the Florida Family Policy Council, has compiled "The Terri Schiavo Controversy: Facts, Myths and Christian Perspectives," to help dispel the misinformation and reveal the truth.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2005 09:35 am
spendius wrote:
It looks as if my philosophical debating technique of making your opponents look so ridiculous that they slink off sulking has worked.A big Lola thread has come to a grinding halt with an itsy-bitsy yellow polka-dot bikini of realism.

And how often have we heard the well-scrubbed cliche about going to the barricades to defend somebody's right to free speech.Looks like that was a load of tosh as well as all the rest.

spendius,

I'm not gone, just resting. (My daughters and grand daughter are visiting, so time is scarce.)
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 08:44 am
http://mediamatters.org/items/200503220009

Quote:
Dubious doctor touted as Nobel Prize nominee by Hannity, Scarborough

Fox News host Sean Hannity and MSNBC host Joe Scarborough both promoted Dr. William Hammesfahr's false claim that he is a Nobel Prize nominee.

Hammesfahr, a Florida neurologist disciplined in 2003 by the Florida Board of Medicine who claims he can help Terri Schiavo, testified during an October 2002 court hearing on the Schiavo case that his claim to be a Nobel nominee is based on a letter written by Rep. Mike Bilirakis (R-FL) recommending him for the prize. But Bilirakis is not qualified to make a valid nomination under the Nobel rules.

According to the process posted on the Nobel Prize website, the Nobel Assembly sends out invitations to approximately 3,000 people who are allowed to propose candidates. The 3,000 are "mainly members of the Nobel Assembly, previous prize winners, and a selection of professors at universities around the world." In providing detailed information about those who can submit nominations, the site states:

Right to submit proposals for the award of the Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine, based on the principle of competence and universality, shall by statute be enjoyed by:

1. Members of the Nobel Assembly at Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm;

2. Swedish and foreign members of the medical class of the Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences;

3. Nobel Laureates in Physiology or Medicine;

4. Members of the Nobel Committee not qualified under paragraph 1 above;

5. Holders of established posts as professors at the faculties of medicine in Sweden and holders of similar posts at the faculties of medicine or similar institutions in Denmark, Finland, Iceland and Norway;

6. Holders of similar posts at no fewer than six other faculties of medicine selected by the Assembly, with a view to ensuring the appropriate distribution of the task among various countries and their seats of learning;

7. Practitioners of natural sciences whom the Assembly may otherwise see fit to approach.

Decisions concerning the selection of the persons appointed under paragraphs 6 and 7 above are taken before the end of May each year on the recommendation of the Nobel Committee.

But the fact that Bilirakis is not qualified to nominate Nobel Prize winners did not stop Scarborough or Hannity from referring to Hammesfahr as a Nobel Prize nominee. Hannity did so a total of eight times during a single hour-long program; Scarborough made the reference four times. Additionally, Scarborough erroneously claimed that Hammesfahr has "treated" Schiavo; in fact, Hammesfahr has merely examined her as one of five doctors approved by a Florida court in 2001 to do so. He was one of two doctors selected by Schiavo's parents; two others were selected by Schiavo's husband, Michael Schiavo, and the fifth was chosen by the court.

Here's an example of the repeat tactic.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 08:46 am
http://mediamatters.org/items/200503220009

From the March 21 edition of Fox News' Hannity & Colmes:

HANNITY: And we're going to talk to a doctor who spent 10 hours with her tonight, and he says that he believes, in his expert opinion -- this is a man that was nominated for a Nobel Prize, by the way -- that she could be rehabilitated.

[...]

HANNITY: And coming up later in the program tonight, we're going to meet a doctor who actually spent 10 hours examining Terri Schiavo. He was nominated for a Nobel Prize. He believes that she could be rehabilitated.

[...]

HANNITY: You were nominated for a Nobel Prize in medicine?

HAMMESFAHR: Yes.

[...]

HANNITY: You were nominated to get a Nobel Peace Prize in this work. Are you saying that this woman could be rehabilitated?

[...]

HANNITY: How is it possible we're in this position if you have examined her? You were up for a Nobel Prize. This is mind boggling to me.

[...]

HANNITY: Well, this is what I want to understand. This is your area of expertise that got you nominated for one of the most prestigious awards in medicine, the Nobel Prize.
[...]

HANNITY: -- hang on a second -- and talk to a Nobel prize-nominated physician who spent 10 hours with her, who believes if, given the opportunity, he can rehabilitate her?

[...]

HANNITY: Imagine being in his position and having a guy like a Nobel Prize nominee like Dr. Hammesfahr, who I'm looking at right now, who spent 10 hours with her and feels that, given the chance, he could rehabilitate this girl.

From the March 21 edition of MSNBC's Scarborough Country:

SCARBOROUGH: And a Nobel Prize-nominated neurologist who has treated Terri Schiavo, he says Terri should live and that her husband is perpetrating a hoax that is just aimed at killing his wife.

[...]

SCARBOROUGH: And I'm going to be talking with a Nobel Prize-nominated neurologist who has treated Terri Schiavo and he says her husband is pulling a huge hoax simply to kill his wife.

[...]

SCARBOROUGH: Coming up: a Nobel Prize-nominated neurologist who is treating Terri Schiavo says her husband is pulling a hoax.

[...]

SCARBOROUGH: So, what is Terri Schiavo's true medical condition? Here to help us sort it out is Dr. William Hammesfahr. He's a neurologist who was nominated for a Nobel Prize for his work in medicine. And he's one of the doctors who has treated Terri Schiavo.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 10:36 am
Apparently you think highly enough of the technique to have made it a cornerstone of your own repetoire.
0 Replies