Liberals - Practice Conservative Argument Techniques

nimh

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2005 08:02 am
theantibuddha wrote:
Yes yes, land of the free, home of the brave. Of course, France is the same if not much much better and the American designs for freedom did have an awful deal of influence from the French to make it what it is today. In America it's cool yet not polite to diss one's own country. In France it is both cool, polite and when done right involves a certain savoir-faire.

You know, come to think of it you can also criticise your own country in...

Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, England, Germany, Ireland, Italy, New Zealand, Norway, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland and Wales... Probably others but those are the only ones I'm certain enough about.

And Iceland. Dont forget Iceland.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2005 08:04 am
I have no quarrel with any of those other countries Antibuddha mentioned and would be just really pleased if the true America haters would avail themselves of their open borders, policies, or whatever. Smile
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2005 08:09 am
Foxfyre wrote:
Did you get that liberals? This one is really a biggie. And if you get it right, it will gain you votes at the polls.

Got it. So whenever someone has a valid criticism, I'll say "why don't you america haters move to France!?!"
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2005 08:13 am
FreeDuck wrote:
So whenever someone has a valid criticism, I'll say "why don't you america haters move to France!?!"

Maybe because we dont want them here! (as Frenchmen in the whole are not America haters).
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2005 08:14 am
Freeduck completely missed the point. And Francis got it. Way to go Francis. I'm starting to warm up to you French. And I love your food. Smile
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2005 08:15 am
Oh, we don't need to be bothered by that as most Americans (this includes us liberals) are also not America haters and have no interest in moving to France. It's just a technique.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2005 08:16 am
Foxfyre wrote:
I have no quarrel with any of those other countries Antibuddha mentioned and would be just really pleased if the true America haters would avail themselves of their open borders, policies, or whatever. Smile

And the amazing thing about most any of those countries, too, is that you're not just free to criticize it, but people wont even retort, "why dont you then just leave, if you think its better elsewhere". The argument, "I think this is shite about this country, I think we should improve it, look at how they do it better in country X, why dont we do it like them" is considered wholly normal in most of 'em, and not considered some sort of evidence of lacking patriotism...
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2005 08:17 am
It has been my observation that those who are constantly dissatisfied, critical, petty, irritable, judgmental, insulting, hateful, pessimistic, or whatever are usually going to be that way just about anywhere.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2005 08:19 am
No, no,no...only when they say they hate America.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2005 08:20 am
But anyway, I arrogantly gave the liberals here some valuable advice. You can continue to put down the good old USA in many ways, consider the current legally elected administration as the Devil's workshop, and call it constructive criticism, or you can take the advice and learn to at least present a more positive spirit of optimism and start winning elections again.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2005 08:20 am
An important point you noticed ther, nimh. Thanks.

("You critise our Imperator? Either do it better yourself or shut up.")
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2005 08:23 am
Foxfyre wrote:
Freeduck completely missed the point. And Francis got it. Way to go Francis. I'm starting to warm up to you French. And I love your food. Smile

Foxfyre wrote:
Well one way conservatives argue is to offer one way tickets to any Americans who wish to renounce their citizenships and move to France or England or Germany or any other country they consider to be superior to the United States. And darn it, you know nobody is taking them up on that? Not Alex Baldwin or Barbara Streisand or any of the big Hollywood stars who made such bold pronouncements of intent if the election didn't go their way.

Sorry, I thought you were pointing out one way that conservatives argue. Since this thread is about arguing like a conservative, I thought you were giving advice on a technique to use. Especially when you said "Got it Liberals?", like the lesson was over and it was time to practice. If what you really meant to say was that Liberals actually love America and that's why they won't leave, then good for you.
0 Replies

theantibuddha

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2005 08:24 am
Foxfyre wrote:
It has been my observation that those who are constantly dissatisfied, critical, petty, irritable, judgmental, insulting, hateful, pessimistic, or whatever are usually going to be that way just about anywhere.

<chuckles>

Got to admire the subtlety and finesse there. Very Happy
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2005 08:26 am
Well it explains why France doesn't want them. Smile
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2005 08:27 am
Foxfyre wrote:

You seem pretty dissatisfied, critical, irritable and judgmental about many things you observe around you in America yourself ... whiny liberals, politicizing Hollywood stars, rampant bias in the media, prejudice and exclusion in universities, anti-Christian hypes of the ever-present PC police ... quite a long list of stuff you regularly express dissatisfaction, criticism and irritation about.

So I suppose this is one for the thread, another example to learn from? Number #71: If you yourself express irritable dissatisfaction or critical disdain of how certain things are going in your country, you are rightfully voicing a dissenting opinion. If people react negatively to your complaints, that actually reinforces your status as a challenger of the PC consensus. But if the other express irritable dissatisfaction or critical disdain of how certain things are going in his country, he "just is that way", it's a personal characteristic, he's probably just the perpetually dissatisfied or whiny type.

(Perhaps we should call this #30b because it's usually combined with the "and if you really hate it so much here why don't you just leave" one.)
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2005 08:30 am
Foxfyre wrote:

You keep such an open mind, Foxfire. You're a true American. One of those, "love it or leave it" types. You love it that citizens can critisize our government. But when people do, you say you'd be glad if they left. Protest is necessary to regulate government. The right to protest is for every citizen not just the Christian Fundamentalists.

Is this the way you run your family as well? If they disagree with you or protest, do you tell them you'd be glad if they left?

We're not leaving, we're staying to fight for the return of a USA we can be proud to call our home.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2005 08:45 am
It's all good Lola. You guys can take figure out what I'm saying and take the advice or keep doing it the way you've been doing it and keep on losing elections into the next century. The politics of opposition, negativity, doom, gloom, and criticism with no positive alternative offered is just simply a turn off for most Americans. The difference between conservatives and liberals is that both may be critical of what they think is wrong, but the conservatives are mostly for something, not just mostly against something. Our best arguments aren't just bashing the opposition.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2005 08:47 am
McG:-

Thank you Ma-am.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2005 08:47 am
Foxfyre wrote:
Our best arguments aren't just bashing the opposition.

Let's go then - why do you keep them secretely and are still at the point of bashing?
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2005 08:51 am
You haven't been paying attention Walter if you have missed what conservatives are for through all these many threads. I'll give you a list later though. Right now, I've got to keep several appointments. Back later.
0 Replies