Engine starting trouble

dou2ble

Reply Mon 21 Feb, 2005 04:37 am
My 95 Maxima GXE makes a scratchin sound for about 3 to 5 seconds before starting. And sometimes it won't start at all and just goes dead. I replaced the spark plugs today and found oil (guessin by the smell and color) in one of the holes. I cleaned it out but still no change when I restarted the engine. My next guess is the starter but was hoping it be something easier to replace. Any suggestions?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,429 • Replies: 5
No top replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Mon 21 Feb, 2005 06:54 am
Sounds like you need a new starter to me! And as soon as you know it's making that scratching noise, turn the key off right away and try again, other wise you damage it more. Starters aren't too espensive, and most of them aren't hard to replace. Good luck!
0 Replies

curtis73

Reply Mon 21 Feb, 2005 03:00 pm
It sounds like the starter's gear isn't engaging the flywheel. The starter gear is supposed to push out and engage the flywheel's teeth, but if they don't mesh, are misaligned, or the starter's spring are weak, sometimes the gear just pushes out and grinds against the flywheel.

Double check to make sure the starter is tight and properly aligned.

Its also possible that either the flywheel or the starter has chipped a tooth off, or otherwise worn down enough that they don't properly engage.
0 Replies

dou2ble

Reply Sat 12 Mar, 2005 10:31 pm
I bought a remanufactured Starter off ebay and worked on my car today. After I took out the old one it didn't appear to have any physical problems. The teeth looked good and still had grease. On the other hand my new starter had no grease but I thought it be ok and went ahead and put it in. After putting everything back I tried to start the engine and all I got was a grinding sound. I called a friend whose done some mechanic work and he suggested I put the old one back in and have it tested at Krages. Wish I had known these services are available in the first place.
I took it to Kragens and the guy tested it and said it's an electrical problem, not the starter. So I got an extra starter and now need a diagnostic test run. To the 2 of you that replied offering suggestions, thanks. If you got anymore I'd appreciate it.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 13 Mar, 2005 12:59 am
dou2ble
dou2ble, have you checked your fuel filter to be sure it isn't dirty and clogged?

BBB
0 Replies

dou2ble

Reply Sat 26 Mar, 2005 02:53 am
I haven't checked yet but will buy some Lucas fuel cleaner and add it to my gas tomorrow or Sunday.
0 Replies