Busking & begging on city streets -

msolga

Reply Sat 19 Feb, 2005 06:50 am
We're having a small debate in my city at the moment about whether buskers or beggers should be allowed on the streets of Melbourne or not. The state opposition leader, Robert Doyle, wants the mor unsalubrious ones removed from the streets so that visitors to the Commonwealth Games (a fairly insignificant sporting event) next year will not be confronted by the sight of them. Apparently Mr Doyle believes that buskers are akin to beggars, a blot & a stain on the image of Melbourne!

So I was wondering, what is the attitude to buskers in your neck of the woods?

Are they perceived as a plus or a minus?

What do YOU think?

Are there any regulations in regard to busking in your city?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 6,195 • Replies: 34
No top replies

msolga

Reply Sat 19 Feb, 2005 06:56 am
Here are a few readers' responses to Robert Doyle's suggestions, from this morning's paper:

Driven by desperation
February 19, 2005

When I read that Robert Doyle wanted beggars off the streets in time for the Commonwealth Games (The Age, 17/2), I remembered a conversation I had with Wayne, the "beggar" in your photo. I had stopped to give him money and, having worked in a homeless service, asked if he had tried to find a bed at Melbourne's four crisis services. He said he was on the waiting list at each one. Knowing that there are fewer than a dozen beds available in the crisis accommodation system in metropolitan Melbourne each day, and that hundreds of people want them, this didn't surprise me.

We then chatted about attitudes towards homelessness. Wayne said something blackly humorous, sad, and very nearly true: "I dunno why some people get so down on homeless people. We're just the same as they are - oh, except half of us are paranoid schizophrenics."

The real nuisances

Robert Doyle, there are two intrusive activities that are far more of a nuisance than the odd beggar propping you for a few cents, however credible their line! "Got any change for a bus fare, mate?" being the most used and least likely.

The first are the omnipresent charity collectors and leafleters that adorn our streets, and in particular Princes Bridge. The second activity relates to unsolicited phone calls at home from a plethora of people wanting you to avail yourself of a free holiday, or to take part in fake research, or a trillion other equally annoying sales ploys, including doubtful charities. The opening lines change more rapidly than computer viruses. Just the thing you need after knocking back beggars all day, and negotiating Princes Bridge.

Robert Doyle, is there any chance of banning that lot in time for the Games? You'll get my vote if you're successful.

Punish the poor

Apparently it's fine to create beggars by withdrawing or selling essential social services, as the Liberal Party did during Jeff Kennett's reign. It's also fine to encourage an atmosphere of economic self-interest and paranoia, as neo-liberals both Labor and Liberal have done. It's even fine to beg for millions of state and Commonwealth dollars if you are a multinational, such as Kodak. For Robert Doyle, what is not OK is self-interested poor and homeless people who lack the capital to justify their "scamming". In short, more of the hypocritical, bully-boy behaviour that characterises neo-liberalism globally: feed the rich, and punish the poor for being hungry.

Shame, Mr Doyle

Robert Doyle, many beggars are mentally ill and have been thrown onto the streets under "de-institutionalisation", started by Jeff Kennett and enthusiastically embraced by Steve Bracks. Ironically, funds that should have been channelled into mental health services have been sucked into the black hole of the Commonwealth Games budget, now blown out to more than $1 billion. Any money recouped from the sale or disposal of our mental health institutions went into consolidated revenue, not back into mental health programs. Most overseas Games visitors are unlikely to be fazed by the odd beggar (given the countries many come from) but are certain to be aghast if they see police arresting beggars and throwing them into divisional vans. And where will police detain them? Perhaps in a detention centre, like Cornelia Rau?
~
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 19 Feb, 2005 07:13 am
My hometown has a busking festival every year. Busking's pretty big and popular in most of the areas of Canada I've lived in.

It's so popular here in Toronto that they have auditions for the premier locations in the subway system. Some of them make a decent bit of money. There are a few (Lorena McKennit is one of the most obvious examples) who have gone on to verra verra lucrative recording contracts.

We like our buskers. There's a bagpiper who plays down on the street below the building I work in, in the summer. After the first couple of afternoons of surprise, we quite like it.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 19 Feb, 2005 07:22 am
Sounds great, ehBeth! I like the sound of Toronto!Very Happy
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sat 19 Feb, 2005 07:25 am
windsor does the same thing, we have an annual international buskers festival
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 19 Feb, 2005 07:26 am
It's a dandy city, MsOlga. I do think you'd like it.

(I'm trying to find some info on the licensing on the good subway spots, maybe a list of the musicians - really some very fine stuff going on)
0 Replies

wales rules

Reply Sat 19 Feb, 2005 07:27 am
Same in Wales! Busking has an annual festival in Cardiff! I haven't spoken to you guyz before have I?
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sat 19 Feb, 2005 07:29 am
no, i've seen you around though, welcome wr
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 19 Feb, 2005 07:29 am
Hey, all your buskers sound almost like professionals! Surprised
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 19 Feb, 2005 07:30 am
Good day, wales rules. Nice to meet you! Very Happy
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 19 Feb, 2005 07:32 am
msOlga - some of them do seem to be semi-pro. Quite a few of them are music students filling in between more regular (though less well-paying) gigs.

Then there are the fellas who are happily singing toothless and tonelessly on guitars without strings. (one of them runs for mayor here every coupla years)
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sat 19 Feb, 2005 07:35 am
msolga wrote:

the ones that come to the international festival are basically professionals, theu travel the world from festival to festival for a living

when it comes around this year i'll post a list of the acts, there's always at least one from oz
0 Replies

wales rules

Reply Sat 19 Feb, 2005 07:36 am
Thanks guyz! Well, no not professionals, I never said they were any good...
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sat 19 Feb, 2005 07:38 am
here's a link to the website for the festival

windsor international buskers festival
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 19 Feb, 2005 07:41 am
ehBeth wrote:
...Then there are the fellas who are happily singing toothless and tonelessly on guitars without strings. (one of them runs for mayor here every coupla years)

Laughing Ah, my sort of buskers!
Does this guy get many votes, ehBeth?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 19 Feb, 2005 07:45 am
He gets enough votes to be counted every time!

This is probably Canada's most famous graduate of the busking tradition

Quote:
When Loreena McKennitt founded her quinlan road label in 1985, it was because she didn't think anyone else would bankroll the kind of music she wanted to make. "It was less a career move than it was I'd fallen madly in love with this Celtic music," says the Stratford, Ontario, singer and composer. So, armed with a copy of Diane Rapaport's How to Make & Sell Your Own Recording: The Complete Guide to Independent Recording, she laid down tracks for her debut album, Elemental, and started a one-woman company to produce a small run of cassettes to sell to family and friends and any interested passersby who saw her busking at Toronto's St. Lawrence Market.
link

I threw her quite a few quarters in the early 1980's.

Now ...

http://www.wbr.com/mckennitt/

http://www.wbr.com/mckennitt/bookofsecrets/img/main.JPG

She's come a long way, baby.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 19 Feb, 2005 07:45 am
djjd62 wrote:
msolga wrote:

the ones that come to the international festival are basically professionals, theu travel the world from festival to festival for a living

when it comes around this year i'll post a list of the acts, there's always at least one from oz

Oh, do!
Come to think of it, if you're brave (and/or talented enough) it's probably as pleasant a way of making a living as any. And a great way to see the world, djjd62! Very Happy

Hey, anyone got any photographs?
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sat 19 Feb, 2005 07:48 am
Rolling Eyes

check the link a few posts back, there's pics from last years festival
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 19 Feb, 2005 07:50 am
ehBeth wrote:
...I threw her quite a few quarters in the early 1980's.

Now ...

http://www.wbr.com/mckennitt/

http://www.wbr.com/mckennitt/bookofsecrets/img/main.JPG

She's come a long way, baby.

Wow, there's gotta be a movie in this story, ehBeth! She certainly HAS come a long way!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 19 Feb, 2005 07:55 am
I was mad for these guys when they were out on the street.

Now I follow the work of Mike Murley through the local clubs and the CBC stage.

Quote:
The legend of the Shuffle Demons is well known to Canadians. Beginning in September 1984 with veteran street sax player Demon Richard Underhill pleasing the pedestrian multitudes at the corner of Yonge and Bloor in Toronto, the Shuffle Demons quickly evolved into an immensely popular street band. Drawing hordes of hipsters to their street gigs with their wild playing and exotic wardrobe, the Demons (Mike Murley, Stich Wynston, Jim Vivian, Dave Parker and Richard Underhill) next took their caustic collection of musical majesties and travesties inside and began pleasing bunches of boppers in Toronto clubs. Inspired by these fashion assassins and their original street hits Spadina Bus, The Shuffle Monster, Out of My House, Roach, and What do you Want? large delirious audiences began experiencing the early stages of shuffle rapture.

Looking to broaden their horizons, on May 12/85 the Shuffle Demons embarked on a 3-month whirlwind street tour of Europe. They played in clubs and music festivals in Germany (incl. East Berlin-close call with serious border people!), Italy and France and on the streets of 10 European countries.

http://www.shuffledemons.com/legend.php

link to a sample (I hope)

Spadina Bus sample
0 Replies