Kind Of Chistians

thunder runner32

Reply Tue 3 May, 2005 09:57 am
Quote:
What the bloody hell is a Chistian?

someone who believes jesus is our saviour, and tries to follow his teachings.
0 Replies

gospelmancan2

Reply Thu 12 May, 2005 10:25 pm
It isn't about ritual
It isn't about ritual. It's about relationship. The Bible is a book of relationships that centers on the relationship we have with God. If we are in a true relationship with God through Jesus Christ that is what counts. As far as what we do or don't do; when we are in a relationship with someone else I would hope we want to do things for each other that strengthens the relationship.
I don't follow the teachings of Christ because I have to or because I am afraid that God will hit me with a big stick if I don't. I follow the teachings of Christ because I am in a relationship with God that is based on love. Love for Him and for who He is. In the long run, a christian walk based on a loving relationship with God is as close as you can get to the Biblical ideal.
0 Replies

SN95

Reply Thu 12 May, 2005 10:54 pm
Re: It isn't about ritual
gospelmancan2 wrote:
It isn't about ritual. It's about relationship. The Bible is a book of relationships that centers on the relationship we have with God. If we are in a true relationship with God through Jesus Christ that is what counts. As far as what we do or don't do; when we are in a relationship with someone else I would hope we want to do things for each other that strengthens the relationship.
I don't follow the teachings of Christ because I have to or because I am afraid that God will hit me with a big stick if I don't. I follow the teachings of Christ because I am in a relationship with God that is based on love. Love for Him and for who He is. In the long run, a christian walk based on a loving relationship with God is as close as you can get to the Biblical ideal.

What if I believed in a divine being who was the son of God, born of a virgin mother, was crucified for our sins, resurrected to heaven, and through him sin would be forgiven. Heck, he even performed some miracles such as turning water into wine and raising people from the dead. But his name isn't Jesus. If I believe in this god do you think I'll go to heaven? If not, what's the difference? Is it not the exact same story?

I guess what I'm asking you (you in general not specifically gospelman) is what is so original about the story told in the bible about Jesus? Can you name a definitive trait in the bible that was not preceded in many other religions prior?
0 Replies

gospelmancan2

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 11:41 pm
Re: It isn't about ritual
SN95 wrote:
I guess what I'm asking you (you in general not specifically gospelman) is what is so original about the story told in the bible about Jesus? Can you name a definitive trait in the bible that was not preceded in many other religions prior?

Can you tell me of another religion where God allows himself to be killed to save the killers because he loves them?
0 Replies

thunder runner32

Reply Mon 16 May, 2005 05:42 am
As far as I know, Jesus is the only one to have been killed for us, and he then conquered death.
0 Replies

baldbandit

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2005 03:16 pm
M!THº§ wrote:
I said I would try to show the homosexual what he/she's doing wrong, but I wouldn't befriend him/her if him/her doesn't change his/her way. If you new a drug addict, you'd try to help him, but you wouldn't stay around if he doesn't change because he could have a negative effect on you. In 1 Corinthians 15:33 it says "Do not be deceived evil companionships corrupt good habits." You don't wanna hang around sinners because it could effect you in a bad way.

I realize I'm replying to a conversation that ended months ago, but I just read this and I have a question. Why is it that so many Christian's view homosexuality as so much worse than other types of sexual sin? I am a Christian, and I agree that it is a sin. And a pretty serious one too. But I don't see how it is worse than adultery or fornication. Do you hold this same standard of not sticking with a friend who is maybe in a sexual relationship with someone they are not married to? What if it was your kid? I don't see why somebody would stop talking to a gay child, but be able to deal with a child who was living with someone they weren't married to. Here's an idea. Love everyone, and don't be judgmental. You certainly aren't going to convince anyone of the healing power of Christ's atonement by driving them away from you and not being forgiving yourself.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2005 03:33 pm
baldbandit,

I think God sees all sin as just that, sin. I'm not so sure about there being different degrees. I think that is something man has attached to sin.

I do not believe in judging anyone for what they do. If asked, yes, I will give my beliefs. If they are accepted, ok. If not, ok. I planted the seed. I would never turn a person away or treat them badly because of something they are or have done in their life. None of us are without sin. I don't have to accept someone's behavior, nor do I have to condone or condemn it. Jesus didn't turn away a prostitute, did He? No, He did not condemn her. He showed her love and acceptance and she learned what Christ's love was. I hate when people will use their faith and religion to put down someone else.

You are so right, no one will be convinced of the healing power of Christ's atonement by driving them away with our not being accepting and forgiving.

Welcome to A2K! We need more like you!
0 Replies

baldbandit

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2005 04:07 pm
Thanks for the welcome Momma. I think all of us could stand to be a little more forgiving.

One of my favorite scriptures (it's scripture for me) is

"Wherefore, I say unto you, that ye ought to forgive one another; for he that forgiveth not his brother his trespasses standeth condemned before the Lord; for there remaineth in him the greater sin."

I think the reason this is the case, is that we are all in need of redemption. The sum total of Christ's suffering for us far exceeds anything anybody could do to us in mortality. If we expect him to forgive us, yet be unwilling to forgive someone's far lesser trespasses against us, what does that say about us?
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2005 04:13 pm
So true baldbandit, so true. And, unfortunately, you will find on these threads, from some, not all, there is a certain conception about Christianity in general. It seems quite a few believe all/most Christians are not forgiving and try to force our beliefs down others' throats. But, with an attitude such as yours, perhaps they might see this is not the case! God Bless you!
0 Replies