Kind Of Chistians

MiTHoS

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2005 12:43 pm
Oh, I'm sorry I miss understood your question. But, some catholics have all those cannons and crap that aren't authorized in the bible b/c that's adding to it. At the end of Revelation Jesus says whoever adds to the bible will be cursed from the plagues that are writtin in it.(majorly paraphrased)
0 Replies

mrcolj

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2005 01:22 pm
Yes, and let's fix that paraphrase...

John the Beloved, in Revelations 22:18, quoted an Old Testament scripture in Deuteronomy 4:2, saying that man should not add to or take away from "the book of life." While not written at the end of the New Testament originally, a thousand years later the Book of Revelations was placed there because of the obvious implications of these scriptures--to accept that the Book of Life equals the 2005 version of the English Bible would require that Revelations 22:18 be at the end, because the original greek scrolls would have demanded a different interpretation, since the verse in question was written chronologically before much of the New Testament. To accept that "everything after this verse is evil" would in fact discount everything after Deuteronomy 4:2, and we don't want to do that. The 66-book Bible, as we know it, was not compiled until the 1500s! So the "book of life" in question, which we are not to add to, CANNOT mathematically be referring to the Bible.

So you go back to the tougher question: who says what's the Bible? Any student of Greek or Hebrew knows that the Bible has been both accidentally and intentionally changed many times. Which books get in, how to translate things, which paragraphs to canonize within which books, etc. We have the Bible at all because it was given to us by the Jews, then by the Catholics, so if the Catholics insist that the Maccabees are supposed to be in there, what is your authority to say otherwise? What is your inspiration to say that Revelations 22:18 wasn't referring to you having taken out the Maccabees? Or your ending the book at the arbitrary point of the death of the last of the original twelve. I mean, any non-Catholic accepts that the church fell away sometime after that, but there are many writings from Early Church Fathers who may or may not have been pre-apostasy.

I'm not playing devil's advocate at all... these are really my beliefs and I'm not a debater at all, so please keep discussing...
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2005 05:21 pm
thunder_runner32 wrote:
Quote:
Can you name a denomination that considers themselves Christian that doesn't believe that they're going strictly by the Bible?

Some denominations don't follow the true word of the bible, ex)churches that accept homosexuality as ok.

I would say darn near all do not follow the true word of the Bible. i.e.

2nd Commandment; Verses 4-6: "Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth. Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me. And shewing mercy unto thousands of them that love me, and keep my commandments."

That avatar you are sporting could be considered a no no.
0 Replies

thunder runner32

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2005 10:36 am
I don't bow down to my avatar....is that what you meant.
0 Replies

mrcolj

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2005 11:32 am
Well, again with taking the Bible literally, or judging people by how much you think they take it literally according to your definition of literalness. But there are religions who don't make statues at all, or even take pictures, others who just don't make statues of apostles, others just not Jesus, others just not Jesus' Father. Personally, I'm fine with paintings of any of the above, but I have a problem with statues. This concern doesn't come from the Bible, but from my childish Hollywood definition of "idolatry." But I'd consider some churches' overuse of the cross a violation of the second commandment.

Comments?
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2005 01:12 pm
thunder_runner32 wrote:
mesquite wrote:
thunder_runner32 wrote:
Quote:
Can you name a denomination that considers themselves Christian that doesn't believe that they're going strictly by the Bible?

Some denominations don't follow the true word of the bible, ex)churches that accept homosexuality as ok.

I would say darn near all do not follow the true word of the Bible. i.e.

2nd Commandment; Verses 4-6: "Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth. Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me. And shewing mercy unto thousands of them that love me, and keep my commandments."

That avatar you are sporting could be considered a no no.

I don't bow down to my avatar....is that what you meant.

What I was attempting to draw attention to was your nonsense insinuation that only you and your group know " the true word of the Bible" and that you readily accept portions that agree or promote your own prejudices while rationalizing away those portions that you find limiting or uncomfortable to your worldview.
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2005 02:50 pm
BM
0 Replies

mrcolj

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2005 04:55 pm
My point exactly...
0 Replies

thunder runner32

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2005 05:52 am
Quote:
What I was attempting to draw attention to was your nonsense insinuation that only you and your group know " the true word of the Bible" and that you readily accept portions that agree or promote your own prejudices while rationalizing away those portions that you find limiting or uncomfortable to your worldview.

No, the rest of them know the word of God, they just twist it to fit their humanistic wants. What portions would be the ones that I find uncomfortable to my worldview?
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2005 07:49 am
mrcolj wrote:
M!THº§ wrote:

And may I add Leviticus 18:22 to the homosexuality question. "Thou shalt not lie with a man as one would with a woman. Such is an abomination."

I'm not sure if I agree with your definition of "lie". I believe that the bible is saying that it's ok to lie to women but not to men.

Very Happy
0 Replies

lovesong

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2005 08:22 am
it's pretty clear to me that no one way to interpret the Bible is the true way. you interpret it for yourself and lead the life that you gather is correct. it's more about heart than semanitics.
0 Replies

thunder runner32

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2005 08:50 am
No, that's dead wrong. You could put anything into the text that you want, if you have no understanding. Though I do agree that it is more about heart than semantics.
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2005 02:39 pm
thunder_runner32 wrote:
Quote:

No, the rest of them know the word of God, they just twist it to fit their humanistic wants. What portions would be the ones that I find uncomfortable to my worldview?

OK thunder, please explain how your affiliation follows the part in red without "twisting it to fit their humanistic wants"

Quote:
0 Replies

thunder runner32

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2005 05:50 am
I don't bow down to pictures, statues, or anything else like that.
0 Replies

MiTHoS

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2005 08:27 am
First of all, maporsche, that quote wasn't from me.

Second, I'm with Thunder Runner, people like to twist the bible into what they want it to be rather than what it is. The bible says that homosexuality is wrong in Romans 1 and in Galations 5:19-20. But some people try to twist other verses around to say that God loves everyone so it doesn't matter. Of course God loves everyone, but he doesn't love everything we do.
0 Replies

thunder runner32

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2005 09:10 am
M!THº§ wrote:

Second, I'm with Thunder Runner, people like to twist the bible into what they want it to be rather than what it is. The bible says that homosexuality is wrong in Romans 1 and in Galations 5:19-20. But some people try to twist other verses around to say that God loves everyone so it doesn't matter. Of course God loves everyone, but he doesn't love everything we do.
Exactly
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2005 11:24 am
Just curious if any of you Christians would take a homosexual as a friend (not lover, just buddy).
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2005 11:25 am
thunder_runner32 wrote:
M!THº§ wrote:

Exactly

Your dead wrong. In the end it is non-believers who will get the last laugh, if such a thing were possible. Have fun apoligizing for everything you do.

Someday I hope you realize that it IS possible to live a great, upstanding, decent life WITHOUT believing in your 'god' or your superstitions. In fact, it's not only possible, but preferable.
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2005 11:50 pm
thunder_runner32 wrote:
I don't bow down to pictures, statues, or anything else like that.

Strange, somehow I got the idea that you were affiliated with the Catholic Church. No matter, I notice that you did not respond to the part of the commandment that I highlighted in red, which dealt with "Thou shalt not make". Here it is again.

Quote:

It is abundantly clear that this commandment is from an insanely jealous god, so jealous that he will punish the children four generations down.

As mrcolj pointed out earlier, there are religions who don't make statues at all, or even take pictures, so it is obvious that some take it more literally.

You however claim to have the true understanding of the Bible's word and yet you do not take this commandment so literally. Then you mock evolution while knowing nearly nothing about it aside from parroting sound bites from creationist websites.
0 Replies

MiTHoS

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2005 08:49 am
I wouldn't take a homosexual friend EVER. But if one asked why I don't beleive it's right to be homosexual I'd tell him/her. I'd even take them to church with me. But I wouldn't be a friend until he/she changes his/her way.

P.S. I'm not associated with the Catholic Church, I just go to a regular old Church of Christ.
0 Replies