Tomato Sauce Recipes

Sugar

Reply Tue 25 Feb, 2003 09:41 am
I made sauce. Once. Let's just say I wasn't pleased with the results.

What's your favorite recipe for sauce? Plain, with extra herbs and spices, with meat, with vodka....

Please share the wealth. Also, please let us know about how much it makes, how long it will keep, and if it can be frozen.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,480 • Replies: 6
No top replies

littlek

Reply Tue 25 Feb, 2003 09:59 am
Hey sug! Are you planning to do some catering? Lots of food Qs. This is one I can answer.

I get canned, peeled tomatoes. And makes sauce from them. I like a chunky sauce more than a smooth sauce.

2 cans chopped, stewed tomatoes (medium sized cans)
1/3 cup olive oil
1-2 medium onions, finely chopped
3-4 cloves garlic, minced
3 tsp ground parsley
1-2 bay leaves
1-2 tsp ground rosemary
1-2 tsp ground cilantro (leaf)

Heat some olive oil, add onion, bay leaf, ground rosemary. Sautee onion until it starts to get translucent. Add minced garlic. sautee until it just starts to color. Add parsely and cilantro. Add a little bit of salt and pepper (to taste). Add tomatoes. Sautee all for another 5-10 mintues.

* I'm kind of guessing about these amounts. I don't usually use a recipe and I usually just cook for my self for one or two meals worth of food.

** it's best to use fresh herbs (all but bay leaf), but what I tend to do is get dried herbs and grind them just before adding to hot oil.
0 Replies

Sugar

Reply Tue 25 Feb, 2003 10:02 am
I plan to do a lot of eating Smile The boy and I like to cook and I like the idea of asking here instead of just looking it up in a book. I always have questions that they don't answer.

Thanks for the recipe!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 25 Feb, 2003 10:03 am
Sure.... Thinking about it, that is maybe too much oil.... hmmm.

Asking here about food is indeed much more fun!
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 25 Feb, 2003 10:24 am
1 can chopped tomatoes (can be whole, but you'd end up cutting them up anyway. Do not drain.)
about 1 cup cooked onions, coarsely chopped
about 1/2 cup cooked green pepper, sliced (I like to roast the pepper in the broiler, but you could cook it in any manner)
about 1 cup cooked mushrooms, sliced
about 1 cup cooked chicken, cut into bite-sized pieces (I grill it, using a grill pan, but you can cook it any way you please)
olive oil
basil
garlic powder

Cover the bottom of a large pot with olive oil and heat to a slow boil (you want it to kind of crackle in the pot). Add tomatoes and spices (the spices are to taste). Cook for five minutes and add the other vegetables. Add chicken and stir. Cook for another five minutes. Lower temperature to medium-low and cook for about 15 - 20 minutes until most of the liquid is cooked off. Stir occasionally to make sure nothing sticks or burns, but it probably won't. If the sauce is still too liquidy, either continue cooking or add corn starch or flour to sop up the liquid, and mix well so that it's not too lumpy (you'll have to judge the amount because it's dependent upon how wet you want the sauce to be).

I just mix cooked pasta in with this and serve with cheese. It feeds both of us one meal, plus I get a lunch out of it the following day, and the sauce is fairly thick on the pasta (e. g. it's not like I'm really stretching it or anything).

Variations are pretty much whatever you like. I use the above vegetables and meat because I always have them on hand, but you could use others. Add chicken stock if you like or if you don't have chicken on hand, but you'll have to cook it down even more. Chicken stock also has salt so it'll end up saltier. Eggplant or squash would probably be good alternative vegetables. Toss in alcohol if you want but again you need to reduce everything every time you throw in more liquid. Oregano and rosemary are good alternative spices. I change this on occasion so that we don't get bored with it.

If you're really pressed for time (and you can see that, if you have the cooked ingredients on hand, the recipe takes 30 minutes), drain the tomatoes before adding them to the sauce. This will take away some of the tomato-ey flavor, so you may need to compensate with more spice.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 25 Feb, 2003 11:16 am
Here's a simple one. It can be made with or without the ground beef.

1 Tbsp olive oil
1 lb. lean ground beef
1 medium onion, chopped
1 Tbsp garlic, minced
1 Tbsp. Worcestire sauce
1 28 oz. can tomatoes, whole or chopped
1 bay leaf
1 Tbsp. dried oregano
1/2 cup fresh or 1 Tbsp dried basil
salt and pepper to taste

Heat the olive oil in a medium saucepan, then add the onion and cook until translucent, about three minutes. Push the onion to one side and add the ground beef, and brown until no pink remains. Drain fat. Add the garlic and stir for about 20 seconds, then add the Worcestire, tomatoes, and bay leaf. Simmer until the tomatoes break up, mashing with a wooden spoon. Add the oregano and cook until thickened (alternatively, you can add tomato paste to thicken). At the very end, stir in the basil and off the heat. Correct the seasoning. Serve with grated parmesan reggiano.
0 Replies

Orglif

Reply Wed 26 Feb, 2003 08:23 am
Well, I've got half a recipe for you... I do almost all of my cooking off-the-cuff, so I don't know the exact proportions of each ingredient, though I imagine if you start small you could find a balance that suits you.

Olive oil
Atlantic Salmon (scrap is fine) cooked medium and chopped
Garlic, chopped
Medium mushrooms, chopped
Red onions, chopped
Plain tomato juice
Heavy whipping cream
Basil
Oregano
White wine
Parsley, chopped

Sautee your onions and mushrooms in the olive oil until almost translucent. Add the garlic, brown (the darker, the stronger of course). Deglaze with the white wine, then add the tomato juice, oregano, basil, parsley, and the salmon. Simmer for 5-10 minutes, then add the heavy cream. It'll lighten the sauce, and smooth out the salmon flavor. Mix with a little fusilli, and you're set. Smile
0 Replies