Mayonnaise Recipe

Sugar

Reply Tue 25 Feb, 2003 09:37 am
I LOVE mayonnaise. I put it on all meats, sandwiches, extra with the tuna fish....mmmmmm

Mayonnaise sounds a bit daunting to make. All that emulsifying...I've never attempted it because it seems like such a simple thing that's just too complicated to make.

Please let me know if you have any mayonnaise recipes, including ones with any herbs. How long will homemade mayonnaise last? If it's not a long time then please provide portions that I can finish off in a reasonable time - about a cup or so.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 2,740 • Replies: 11
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 25 Feb, 2003 09:54 am
mayonnaise, when cooked is called Hollandaise, which is only bested by sauce Bernaise. (a poem I learned somewhere)

Egg yolk
t salt
1/2
dry mustard
pepper
rice wine vinegar (or lemon, but I like the rice wine flavor)
1c olive oill
MIX all except the oil. Add the oil and whisk or beat in teeny amts until the emulsion forms then you can speed it up

ADD A curry
1T butter
2t curry
teeny amt tabasco
heat the butter till bubbling then add the curry and Tabasco
(dont just dump the curry into the mayonnaise it just doesnt have the flavor
let the curry butter cool then mix it in with the mayaonnaise (about a c)
this is great with crabcakes

Horseradish mayo-take a T of fresh hot horseradish and add to a C of mayo. This is great on sliced beef or artichokes

Ithink Ill take an early lunch, Im just goofin off here anyway-see ya
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 25 Feb, 2003 10:09 am
I thought mayo would be tough to make, but this looks like something I can do. Thanks! :-D
0 Replies

urs53

Reply Tue 25 Feb, 2003 10:18 am
It's not hard to make at all. You just have to be careful when adding the oil - very slowly! I used to make mayo for the whole family when I was a kid :-)
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 25 Feb, 2003 12:16 pm
I used to make mayo when I was 10. I think it's the easiest thing I ever made.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 25 Feb, 2003 12:17 pm
I'll post a receipt for garlic mayo when I have time.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 25 Feb, 2003 03:12 pm
Homemade mayo is as easy to make as salad dressing, and actually follows the same principle - emuslifying. Basically, 1 egg yolk can hold 1 cup of oil. Then...you need an acidic ingredient, lemon juice, wine vinegar, Dijon mustard, or a combination. This will help hold the emulsion. Yes, slow is the way to go when adding the oil. I avoid using sugar, as I prefer a more tart mayonnaisse. Also, I use a hand mixer to speed things up. Just place the bowl on a tea towel, so it stays steady, use the hand mixer and drizzle in the oil. I don't suggest trying it in a Cuisinart. Stir in herbs and extra seasoning after making the emulsion.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 25 Feb, 2003 03:17 pm
Hey farmerman, just saw yer post....disgusted lately by seeing jarred Bernaise sauce popping up everywhere....yuck...perhaps an improvement over powdered, but no substitute for the real thing!

Again, with Bernaise, same concept as mayo....but done warm, with a flavoured acid/egg yolk base, and clarified butter instead of oil Very Happy

We'll have Sugar making Bernaise sauce AND mayo soon Wink
0 Replies

JerryR

Reply Tue 25 Feb, 2003 09:02 pm
Hi all,

Sug, you've got some great recipes/suggestions here.

I sometimes like to use a proportion of 2 egg yolks to each cup of oil for a little richer result.

I, like alot of us, was trained to whip everything by hand, but I think that can be difficult/intimidating for alot of home cooks,..especially if you're pressed for time. You can use an electric mixer, or if you're careful your food processor (use the plastic blade if you have one),..just mix the yolks a bit first, add the oil in a thin steady stream. As the mixture thickens you can add the oil a little faster. When you have incorporated about 3/4 of the oil, stop your machine and check for consistency. If it is too thin, start the machine and add more oil, too thick thin with some lemon juice (or vinegar). It should work out fine, it's really easy, just try not to over whip or add too much oil or your result could be a bit "gluey"
0 Replies

Orglif

Reply Wed 26 Feb, 2003 07:43 am
I think I've got a roasted garlic aioli recipe lying around myself.

*drools*

Nothing like a bacon/green chile/pepperjack cheeseburger with a little garlic aioli. Christ.
0 Replies

Sugar

Reply Wed 26 Feb, 2003 09:02 am
Hi all! Thanks for all of the recipes.

Nice to meet you Orglif - thanks for responding to everything! I can't wait to start trying all my new recipes out. So much for the boy going to the gym everyday. I'll keep fattening him up.

God - I love all this attention! Wink
0 Replies

kitchenpete

Reply Wed 26 Feb, 2003 10:50 am
Sugar,

Here's a tip: if the mayo mixture curdles, take another egg yolk and go through the same procedure using the original (curdled) mix instead of the oil. It's worked every time I try it.

Remember: Only use fresh eggs from a reliable source. We don't want any food poisoning from salmonella!

For a looser mayo, you can use the whole egg rather than just the yolk. It won't stand stiff, but makes a great dressing for potato salad.
0 Replies