Da Ali G Show

LarryBS

Reply Mon 24 Feb, 2003 08:18 pm
Heads up to those of you with HBO - this sounds pretty funny. Did anyone see it this weekend?

The High Art of Mockery (NYTimes)

"Boutros Boutros Boutros Boutros Ghali" is how Ali G addresses the dignified former secretary general of the United Nations. Posing as an interviewer for an MTV-esque channel catering to hip, undereducated British youths, Ali G persuades the elderly statesman to say "merde" and even spell it for him in French.

Ali G is the stage name of Sacha Baron Cohen, a British comedian who is famous in England as his comic persona, a white gangsta rapper wannabe (also known as a wanksta) who speaks a strangled argot of cockney, Jamaican and hip-hop slang. That is not his only character. He also plays Borat, an eager, naïve journalist from Kazakhstan whose wide-eyed reports from the United States are framed with Cyrillic graphics and traditional Central Asian music. Sometimes he is Bruno, the effete Austrian host of a hyper-hip television show about fashion, who in one segment crashes the runway of a designer collection by saying he is "Chrysler's muse."

"Da Ali G Show," which begins tonight on HBO, is irresistibly, corrosively funny. It also serves as a reminder of why HBO is home to so many comedies and dramas that are unmatched on network television. It is not just that Ali G uses obscenities that cannot be repeated in a family newspaper or on most networks. . . Ali G is clever, satirical and entirely free of any redeeming sentimentality; in mean spirit he is closer to Monty Python or Larry David's "Curb Your Enthusiasm" than to most popular comedies, including "Saturday Night Live."

"Ali G's refusal to wink or blink when interviewing starchy American officials is exquisitely painful to watch. "Wot iz legal?" Ali G asks Richard Thornburgh, the former attorney general, while dressed in a yellow Tommy Hilfiger skullcap, oversized yellow track suit, sunglasses and gold "bling bling" jewelry. . . He looks only slightly puzzled when Ali G asks him if he saw "Barely Legal 3," which he describes as a movie about college girls getting spanked when they don't complete their homework.

"Among others, Ali G interviews United Nations officials; Mr. Thornburgh and a predecessor, Edwin Meese 3rd; Newt Gingrich; and Brent Scowcroft, the former national security adviser. He tries out for a Philadelphia police training academy and, as Borat, seeks an American wife to take home to Kazakhstan. He tells the dating service consultant that he can provide his bride with "a television, with remote" but that she must have "plow experience."The best British humor is callous, a trait that helped prompt American colonists to revolt in 1776. Despite all the shared shows and cross-pollination of the two cultures, there is still a different sensibility about comedy. . ."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,860 • Replies: 13
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 24 Feb, 2003 10:04 pm
It looks great. Gotta get HBO sometime... Sad
0 Replies

mamajuana

Reply Mon 24 Feb, 2003 10:19 pm
Saw it. I think I got too old for it. However, the Bill Maher show precedes it, so all was not lost.

I did like Fawlty Towers, Monty Python, To The Manor Born, and a lot of others. Still do, whenever they show re-runs.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Tue 25 Feb, 2003 03:10 am
Liked most of it but some was not so funny. Loved the police academy stuff.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 25 Feb, 2003 06:06 am
never sawr any of it
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Tue 25 Feb, 2003 07:08 am
I love the British comedies. My mother and I watch them every Friday night on Maine PBS.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 25 Feb, 2003 12:32 pm
I've seen all the scenes referenced. Ali G, is at his best when he is interviewing old people. If anyone has seen me say "I digest" it is a reference to ALi G.
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Fri 28 Feb, 2003 03:49 pm
Hi Larry, if you're hip to Ali G, try the web sites below

http://www.alig.com/ and/or

http://www.channel4.com/ and type Ali G into the CH4 search window and voila.
0 Replies

LarryBS

Reply Fri 28 Feb, 2003 10:08 pm
Thanks everyone, I digest. And thanks for those links oldandknew.
0 Replies

oasisliveforever

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2003 03:19 am
ali g is fantastic, its been a big deal in england for ages, i dunno whether you americans will get it as much as we do, cos its very much a piss-take about alot of teenagers/ hip-tv in britain. The hbo series is now currently being shown in england, i saw it last night and nearly pissed myself laughing, the stuff at the police school was great.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2003 06:56 am
Welcome to A2K, oasis - I haven't seen the series yet, I'll have to check it out.
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2003 09:14 am
Mac, it's not a show to be taken lightly. It is funny but it can also make you cringe with embarassment.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2003 01:19 pm
"How do we ensure that when buying Class A drugs we are getting quality product" Ali G, asked to a narcotics officer who thinks he is doing an anti drug cameo
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2003 02:49 pm
What I want to know is ... how does he get these interviews with so many famous people?
0 Replies