What’s up in London? Murder rate surpassed NY

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2018 11:27 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:
I wanted to know what was going on in London that led to the precipitous increase in knife murders.
And you were interested in why that didn't happen in Scotland.

Various links given above quote some or more possible reasons.
Why don't you agree with or what is the reason you think about?

You did study criminology, isn't it?
Lash

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2018 11:42 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Before I glom on to a solution, I try to get a wide swath of opinions.

I simply haven’t devoted enough time to it yet. Is there some time limit on me developing a strong opinion on this?
maporsche

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2018 11:55 am
@Lash,
I'm just curious if this will be like withholding your final applause.

Meaning, you'll just disappear, without giving an opinion, proving your only goal was to change the subject in an effort to do......something.
Lash

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2018 11:56 am
@coldjoint,
In my opinion, a lot of murder, a lot of mass murder.

Law enforcement isn’t ‘enforcing’ the laws on our books, including utilizing a national registry.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2018 12:07 pm
@Lash,
Lash wrote:
Is there some time limit on me developing a strong opinion on this?
Certainly not, since there is no one ‘cause’ of crime.
And the consideration of different arguments, (abstract) interests or/and points of view in the scientific debate really takes some time to evaluate.

The advantage of the persons in the quoted sources additionally is that they have some knowledge about what they write, e.g. the location, the social context etc. .
Lash

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2018 12:10 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
I agree. Looking around, taking everything into consideration. I am a bit of an amateur sleuth.
Lash

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2018 12:15 pm
@maporsche,
In some cases, like the outcome of US dealings with NK—nothing I think or say will trump the actual outcome of the meeting between Trump and Kim. Just waiting on that outcome.

This one: I’ll formulate an opinion after I feel I’ve looked in to all the contributing factors.

Isn’t that how you form opinions?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2018 12:16 pm
@Lash,
Lash wrote:
I agree. Looking around, taking everything into consideration. I am a bit of an.
So you would/could get an strong 'amateur sleuth' opinion, not shared by the local, involved people?
Lash

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2018 12:22 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
No. It would have to be inferred by associated facts.
maporsche

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2018 12:22 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

Lash wrote:
I agree. Looking around, taking everything into consideration. I am a bit of an.
So you would/could get an strong 'amateur sleuth' opinion, not shared by the local, involved people?

If that wouldn't be odd enough, I also can't help but wonder why a middle-agend teacher from South Carolina would need/want to even have an opinion on why knife murders have increased by tens year over year in a city that she may or may not ever visit.

I still suspect that there is possibly a different motive for this whole thread. Wonder what that motive could possibly be....
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2018 01:12 pm
@maporsche,
Perhaps it's collecting material for a thesis?

Whatsoever, some more help: Woman who helped dramatically reduce youth murders in Scotland urges London to treat violence as a 'disease':
Quote:
'It’s about bringing the people who are most affected by it into the solution, and that’s your young people,' Karyn McCluskey, former director of Scotland's Violence Reduction Unit, tells The Independent. 'Don’t dismiss them. Listen to your communities. They have a solution to this'
[...]
Twelve years on, Scotland has reversed the trend. The number of homicide cases in the country has fallen by 47 per cent in a decade, from 115 to 61. The number of children and teenagers killed in homicides involving a knife dropped from 40 in the five years to 2011 to eight in the five years that followed. In 2015, recorded crime in Scotland hit a forty year low.

The incredible shift followed drastic action – and it had little to do with policing or criminal justice. One woman, Karyn McCluskey, a former nurse and qualified forensic psychologist, led the way. And she believes that with political will and a multi-agency approach, London can do the same.
[...]
“We took a public health approach. It’s about putting money where your mouth is in terms of prevention, and understanding that you may not see a really quick return on it. We managed to get the politicians on side, and we had the communities as well, because they had had enough. And London’s communities have had enough as well.”
... ... ... ... ...
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2018 01:13 pm
@maporsche,
Do you think it’s odd that Canadians and Europeans are so interested in what happens in America?
maporsche

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2018 01:31 pm
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

Do you think it’s odd that Canadians and Europeans are so interested in what happens in America?

I don't think many Canadians or Europeans give much thought to what happens in America at all actually.

But I could see Canadians being interested (being that we're such close neighbors) and Europeans when it addresses the larger more global issues of course.

I don't see too many of them getting too riled up into the level of detail about a specific city/crime/time period unless it somehow serves to provide detail or context around a larger point.

But other than that, yeah, sometimes I do find it odd.
ehBeth

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2018 01:32 pm
@maporsche,
You're not interested in anything outside of your immediate surroundings?
maporsche

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2018 01:35 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

You're not interested in anything outside of your immediate surroundings?

Well, America is a very big place, my "immediate surroundings" is the size of all of Europe.

At a superficial level I care about many things around the world.

I don't much care about the details of a specific city or problems they have in some country halfway around the world. I may be interested at a very very high level.

I care much less though about things that I cannot change.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2018 01:38 pm
@Lash,
Lash wrote:
No. It would have to be inferred by associated facts.
Well, the Scottish approach to crime prevention showed "associated facts".
Lash

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2018 01:56 pm
@ehBeth,
Thanks. So am I.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2018 01:58 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Next week the home secretary, Amber Rudd, is expected to announced a new government anti-violence strategy concerning interventions to deter young boys from offending.

Figures released in November showed a 20% annual rise in gun, knife and serious violent crime across England and Wales, even as the crime survey estimated there had been a 9% overall drop in crime. And the Home Office claimed that "traditional crime" nationwide had dropped by almost 40% since 2010.
With these (positive) figures, the Conservative government is only distracting from the fact that the number of police officers in England and Wales was down by 16% in 2017, against a 2009 peak. That amounted to a cut of more than 22,000 officers.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2018 01:58 pm
@maporsche,
Here’s some earth shattering news for you— you can’t change anything. Votes are a joke in your country.
maporsche

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2018 02:00 pm
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

Here’s some earth shattering news for you— you can’t change anything. Votes are a joke in your country.

I'm so glad you teach our nation's youth. You can't even begin to imagine how happy that makes me.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 05/06/2024 at 07:52:25