0

Lord of the flies symbolism

Reply Sun 18 Mar, 2018 06:51 pm
Throughout the book, Ralph and the other boys use the conch shell. The shell symbolizes many things like leadership, civilization, order, etc.
I'm not quite sure what else it can symbolize and why it would symbolize that. I was also wondering how the use of the conch shell changes throughout the book. I was thinking that it changes because it loses importance after the boys split into two groups, but I'm not sure. If you know anything about symbolism from the shell, could you please help me out?

View best answer, chosen by EmmaKate01
ANR

2  
Reply Sun 18 Mar, 2018 09:09 pm
@EmmaKate01,
Hey the conch represents the right to speak, because when one kid has it in their hands they are permitted to speak.

ANR
  Selected Answer

2  
Reply Sun 18 Mar, 2018 09:38 pm
@EmmaKate01,
It's symbolization of civilization refers to how the kids use it to 'bring everyone together'. This is how it also represents order.