Stephen Hawking, Astrophysicist dies at 76

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2018 10:12 pm
May he rest in peace, Stephen Hawkings died tonight at age 76.

blatham

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2018 04:26 am
I've never had anything near the intellectual tools that would allow me to comprehend this man's contributions to astrophysics but I have always respected the man immensely for his fortitude in living the life of the mind - his striving to learn, to better understand the nature of the universe and to share that with the rest of us - even as his body increasingly betrayed him.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2018 07:05 am
I loved the way he could poke fun at himself.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2018 07:51 pm
@glitterbag,
He was dealt a very tough hand in life, but he did about as much with it as I think anyone could ever hope to do.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2018 08:44 am
Uh Oh. We Have A Gal Gadot Controversy On Our Hands.
March 16, 2018 By Jenny Singer

[...] Gal Gadot, alias ‘Wonder Woman,’ global ambassador for the concept of 21st century Zionism and also for Reeboks, is in trouble. The actress is being attacked for a post on social media she wrote in response to physicist Stephen Hawking’s death on Wednesday. Let’s examine that post:

Quote:
gal_gadotRest in peace Dr.Hawking. Now you're free of any physical constraints.. Your brilliance and wisdom will be cherished forever ✨

The heart of the controversy, demonstrated in thousands of comments on both Gadot’s Twitter and Instagram, is that by calling Hawking “free of any physical constraints,” she implies that Hawkins’ life was limited by his disease and suggests an ‘ableist’ perspective — essentially, that he was defined more by his disease and disabilities than anything else.

Rather than present an opinion on this divisive issue, we have assembled what we feel is a complete list of every single opinion that could possibly exist on this tweet. Please share your answer in the comments.

A. This is incredibly offensive. Reducing a genius scientist to his physical body is condescending, bordering on disgusting.

B. Having a progressive disease that paralyzes your body to that extent is objectively physically constraining, and there’s nothing wrong with acknowledging that.

C. Her comment had nothing to do with his disease — all people are “free of any physical constraints” when they die; it’s a normal thing to say.

D. I’m just glad she didn’t say anything about his opinions on BDS!

E. She wasted her platform by not condemning his BDS!

F. The Forward should stop writing articles about tweets even though Twitter is the platform public figures use to put out statements!

G. The tone of the whole tweet is condescending.

H. Guys, this was probably written by her publicist.

I. Political correctness doesn’t even exist in Israel! This is a cultural issue.

J. The most offensive part about this statement is her devil-may-care use of punctuation.

K. Celebrity culture is the opiate of the masses, and denying it value is the only way we will ever escape this labyrinth of collective suffering.

L. She should have said zichrona livracha, not rest in peace. So goyish.

M. Stop using the word “goy.” It’s offensive.

https://forward.com/schmooze/396739/uh-oh-we-have-a-gal-gadot-controversy-on-our-hands/
farmerman

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2018 02:18 pm
@Olivier5,
You know, I think we all know what Gadot was saying.Sounds like somebody else needs a nap.

Hawking used to ridicule his own condition as an entry line regarding his desire to be one of those who would volunteer for deep space exploration.

I dont think HE would be offended by Ms Gadot.

Sometimes I get quite embarrassed with all this "HPC" (hyper PC)
Olivier5

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2018 01:25 am
@farmerman,
I find this HPC, as you say, very funny. Worked with handicaped in my youth and yeah, they would joke about their handicap all the time.

The Forward piece itself was of course in jest, but Jewish jokes aside, the reactions they list could have been posted on a2k.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sat 31 Mar, 2018 09:19 am
Quote:
Crowds gathered as the funeral of renowned theoretical physicist Prof Stephen Hawking took place.

Prof Hawking, who had motor neurone disease, died on 14 March, aged 76, at his home in Cambridge.

Actor Eddie Redmayne was one of several speakers at a service at the university church, Great St Mary's.

The professor's eldest son Robert, former student Prof Fay Dowker and Astronomer Royal Martin Rees also gave addresses to the congregation.

As the funeral cortege arrived at the church, the bells rang out 76 times - once for each year of Prof Hawking's life.

His close family, including his three children Lucy, Robert and Tim, followed behind the hearse carrying the professor's coffin.

As it pulled up, the vehicle was met with applause from the hundreds gathered outside the church.

An arrangement of white lilies, to represent the universe, and another of white roses representing the polar star was placed on top of his coffin.

It was carried into the church by six porters from Gonville and Caius College, where Prof Hawking was a fellow for more than 50 years.

The porters, who often assisted him when he visited the college for formal dinners, were asked to be pallbearers by the his family.

Up to 500 invited family, friends and colleagues were invited to the private service.

Among those inside the church was Eddie Redmayne, who played the role of the professor in the 2014 biographical drama The Theory of Everything.

He read from Ecclesiastes 3.1-11, while eulogies were delivered by Robert Hawking and Prof Dowker.

The service was officiated by the Reverend Dr Cally Hammond, Dean of Gonville and Caius College.

Other guests seen arriving at the service were Queen guitarist Brian May and actress Anita Dobson, and television presenter and comedian Dara O Briain.

Entrepreneur Elon Musk and playwright Alan Bennett had also been on the guest list.

The funeral was followed by a private reception at Trinity College.

Professor Hawking's ashes will be interred next to the grave of Sir Isaac Newton at Westminster Abbey in June.

A condolence book, which was opened on the morning of Prof Hawking's death, will be available to members of the public in the porters' lodge of Gonville and Caius College.

A service of thanksgiving for his life will take place at Westminster Abbey in London on 15 June during which time the professor's ashes will be interred next to the grave of Sir Isaac Newton who was buried there in 1727, and close to that of Charles Darwin, who was buried in 1882.

The Dean of Westminster, the Very Reverend Dr John Hall, said it was "entirely fitting" the professor's final resting place should be "near those of distinguished fellow scientists".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cambridgeshire-43582950
0 Replies