movie where two guys are always estimating costs

cookie6

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2018 01:15 am
weird I know.... but I'm trying to think of a movie I saw quite a while ago where the two main guys are always estimating costs and return of things.... for example.... they'll be in a bar, and one will say how many people do you reckon they get in here each night, and they'll multiply that by the average return and try and work out if the bar is making a profit.

jespah

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2018 06:34 am
@cookie6,
I bet the theme/general plot is something with money, such as Moneyball or Glengarry Glen Ross. Might even be some heist caper film.
centrox

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2018 11:10 am
I bet it was "The Revenge of the Cost Estimators". That was one cool movie if you are into cost estimation. Generally this profession gets a bad press and you never see cost estimators shown in a good light in movies. Let me tell you, as a Registered Cost Estimator, there is a lot the average person does not know about the field. Take a recent case I had. A boiler manufacturer asked me to run my professional eye over their riveting and welding costing process, and do you know what? I found an immediate saving of 5 to 8 percent because they had forgotten to backward-quantify the nickel plating subsidiary values. I went home a happy man after that. I met my wife Gloria at a cost estimator's convention in Pittsburgh. She was in the bar and I said to her, "You know, I bet these guys are losing money on their bottled beer forward estimates." She said, "You know, I was thinking the same myself". One thing led to another and we went back to my motel room, and we got out our estimator's special yellow pads, like lawyer's pads but a lighter shade, and before morning we had estimated what our romance was going to cost, and worked out a way of amortizing a portion of the wedding costs ahead of time using a cute method I have often used in other situations. When our firstborn, Sheldon, was born, I had my pad out and I had the whole cost of his diapers worked out in less than 30 minutes. I took it in to Gloria and you should have seen her face. I kept it and I am planning to give it to Sheldon on his 18th birthday.

Linkat

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2018 03:29 pm
@centrox,
Quote:
One thing led to another and we went back to my motel room, and we got out our estimator's special yellow pads, like lawyer's pads but a lighter shade, and before morning we had estimated what our romance was going to cost

Now that isn't something you hear every day.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2018 07:45 am
@jespah,
The Price is Right summer blockbuster adaptation! Coming out summer 2020!
0 Replies