Need to wipe and reformat - never done that before

sumac

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2005 12:55 pm
And if this has been covered elsewhere here - then I apologize. If you can remember the author or the title, I would be happy to be redirected. But, 38 pages of topics are too much to read through.

I am running on XP Professional, which I probably screwed up. Took off SP 2 so that is no longer on.

Is the wipe and reformat process something to be done from within DOS?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,917 • Replies: 21
No top replies

prying eyes

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2005 02:11 pm
Now is your chance to install sp2. MAke a slipstreamed winxp sp2 cd (ie, sp2 merged to winxp). If u have a bootable xp cd, then just boot into cd to format and clean install.
For detailed info to make a slipstreamed winxp sp2 cd, do a google search. U can also make a bootable sp2 cd.
0 Replies

thorman944

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2005 03:41 pm
you need to be able to boot to dos (check to see if the boot floppy that you can make from the os cd-rom has dos with cd-rom support. from there, use the f-disk command to delete all partitions on your hard drive. (unless you already have a partition to keep files you don't want to lose. if you don't already have one, make one now with about 10% of your hard drive space, that way if you decide to change os again, you can keep your files.) now create and make active a primary partition on the hard drive. next format that partition. now use the lock /s comand to allow unrestricted access to the hard drive - otherwise the os may not be able to install to the hard drive partition. next change to the sub directory (the command will look like this: "<<E: ch dir e:\windows" [i'm not sure the exact directory substructure for xp and it will vary depending on what specific install cd-rom you have]

now run the command to launch setup. i'm not sure for xp, but for example with w2k, it looks like e:windows\i386\winnt. if xp supports the \b command (to eliminate the creation of those pesky install floppys), use it. setup should run with a completely fresh install on a completely wiped drive that even the feds couldn't get prior info out of. should completely correct any botched prior installs. in my case, i did something stupid and clicked yes on a pop-up by accident and wound up with a spyware program that was spawning copies of itself to multiple locations. my system was bogging down with 3 or 4 of the same app running at the same time. in the time it took me to locate and stop one app from running, 2 more would start. a complete wipe was in order.

hope this helps
0 Replies

prying eyes

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2005 04:03 pm
thorman, i think u have no specific experience with xp. it's really simple with a xp bootcd and a upgrade only xp cd will not boot from dos, it will require a OS installed.
Just insert the xp boot cd and reboot. Make sure boot from cd is eneabled on bios. Just follow instructions. Only thing u hve to be carefull is deleting partitions. Just make sure.
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2005 04:36 pm
I have yet to create a boot floppy from the original XP disk, but will check on that now.

I do believe that the second option in my BIOS is to boot from disk. Yes, the BIOS has use cd-rom support but will make sure that everything is correct in BIOS first.

I read somewhere that XP's Setup automatically partitions. Is this not correct?

I am assuming that the wipe and reformat commands are relatively simple and straightforward.

It is the prior to wipe and reformat issues that I am not sure of. For instance:

1. I know that I can copy address book, documents and favorites to either a CD-R or CD-RW disk. But I have many emails saved in Local Folders in Outlook Express. Can I save them somehow?

2. Even if there is a way to save programs and all associated files, I am assuming that with a clean install, it is better to reinstall from disk, or redownload any programs I want to keep?
0 Replies

husker

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2005 05:25 pm
http://www.helpwithwindows.com/WindowsXP/winxp-sp2-bootcd.html
0 Replies

husker

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2005 05:27 pm
Slipstreaming Windows XP Service Pack 2
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2005 08:54 pm
Thanks, Husker. Once I start the wipe and reinstall, I will have to reference the content of your links, somehow. Or do some of it beforehand. But where to save it so that it doesn;t get wiped off? I have not a clue on how to partition a wiped drive. Any thoughts? I will await a response before I proceed.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2005 09:16 pm
I've never slipstreamed before - I've used a program called Partition Magic to scrub the a harddrive or two a couple times. My I/S guys gave me a SP cd to apply just after the XP install.
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Sun 6 Feb, 2005 08:58 am
I read the instructions on slipstreaming SP2 to XP cd-rom disk copy. Sounds complicated to me, but may give it a try. If I can't do it, I will just have to reinstall SP2 from Windows Update, which is a long download and install.

Big sigh.
0 Replies

prying eyes

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2005 10:50 am
sumac wrote:

1. I know that I can copy address book, documents and favorites to either a CD-R or CD-RW disk. But I have many emails saved in Local Folders in Outlook Express. Can I save them somehow?

2. Even if there is a way to save programs and all associated files, I am assuming that with a clean install, it is better to reinstall from disk, or redownload any programs I want to keep?

ans:
1. here's link for backing up oe data.
backup outlook express data
2. definitely. reinstall is much better. If u hve the option to save any profiles or specific data, then save it. After reinstall, either import it or just copy it to the original folder, depending upon the application.
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2005 11:00 am
Thanks prying eyes.

But if I am to do a clean install, then I can't export or import backed up OE files to or from anyplace.
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2005 11:12 am
I didn't post yesterday as I assumed that everyone would be doing Sunday stuff, including the Super Bowl.

I have been reading up on the operation, but still have some unanswered questions. Spent most of yesterday saving stuff to discs.

My original XP with SP1 disk does partitioning (with prompts) prior to formal Setup.

But, I have yet to find anything about wiping or scrubbing hard drive first. Would that not be desirable?

Since I have no disc program for that, just how can that be accomplished? I guess it is the logical, or illogic, of the operation that is puzzling me.

If I download a program to do it, how does it complete its' task before being wiped itself?

If I do it from a website, how does it complete its' task before the internet connection is gone?
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2005 03:51 pm
Have been doing some research. For instance:

http://www.pcworld.com/howto/article/0,aid,110338,00.asp

However, even though I downloaded to a floppy a copy of Active@Kill Disk, since one pass requires 12 hours or more, and I have no sensitive information on my drive, is it necessary to do it at all?

WIll a clean install not be smaller than the installed stuff on the drive now, leaving unnecessary stuff hanging outside the clean install of XP Pro? Won't that create interference?

Also, page 2 of the above referenced site gives instructions on how to save the contents of OE folders by using Windows Explorer. I click on Windows Explorer under Programs and My Documents comes up. I am screwed.
0 Replies

prying eyes

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2005 10:07 pm
Hello,
Ur xp cd will do all the required tasks, no need for any third party ones. formatting a hdd cannot be done from inside, it has to be done from outside, either by booting from a floppy or cd, as it's obvious. But if u have partitions on ur hdd, then u can format all ur partitions (except C Drive, offcourse) from within, as your OS is not affected.
To wipe hdd or to make partitions, delete the partition (or drive) when doing a clean install. After deleting partition, u'll then have to create partition again. U can create as many partitions u need, entering the reqiured size.
For ex: I've a 80 gb hdd. Suppose it was used as a drive with no partitions, then c drive will be 80 gb. now, when reinstalling xp, i dlete c drive and re- create another c partition (follow instructions, it's a bit difficult first, but easy once u understand) of size 20 gb by entering the size as 20000 mb. I repeat creating 3 more partitions of 20 gb each (or just another of 60 gb, its ur preference) as d, e, and f drives. (note: Now, in the future i can wipe d, e or f drives from within xp by selecting format from hard drive "properties" and in the case of reinstalling xp again, i need to format c drive only, so my data's in d, e, f drives are safe. In this way, i can backup all my datas to these drives and use c drive only for operating system files.)
2. In case, u don't have any partitions to backup your OE data, burn it to a cd (if u hve a cd writer) or copy to a floppy. If the data is larger than 1.4 mb (size of a floppy), u can zip (compress) it using winzip and then split the files to 1.4 mb and then copy. Or create a new winzip file in floppy and copy ur data, once the disk is full, winzip will ask u to insert another floppy. U have many choices.
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Tue 8 Feb, 2005 05:32 am
Great information, p.e.

I think I will then forego the lengthy scrub process and just do a clean install from my XP cd

I have yet to do anything until I am sure that I understand everything. I have only an 18-19 GB HDD. How naby partitions can I create and of what size? I like the idea of having the HDD segmented into discreet, individual entities.

Since my screwed up system was unable to access Windows Explorer to drag and drop an important local folder from within OE to a disk to be burned, I will try copying it to a floppy. I haven't done much, if anything, of copying data files to cds or floppies, just burning audio cds.
0 Replies

prying eyes

Reply Tue 8 Feb, 2005 06:14 am
make it 10 +10.
While creating partition, enter size as 10000 mb. automatically ur hdd will be divided into two.
Make sure to format ur other partition too either as ntfs or fat32.
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Tue 8 Feb, 2005 06:40 am
Again, many thanks for the good information.

I have found the following article from eldergeek.com to be particularly informative. It is specific to XP Professional: http://www.theeldergeek.com/clean_installation_of_windows_xp.htm

and will use NTSF. The admonition to make sure that your BIOS has the latest version has me concerned. I can no longer access it from the manufacturer's website (PCI Technologies), which redirects all inquires to a third party, ATX, hired to do their marketing and sales. When I did a search on BIOS, nothing was returned.

The BIOS manufacturer itself, American Megatrends, (mine has a release date of 2000) will only supply updates if the motherboard itself is also from them, which mine is not. Or, they direct me to the motherboard manufacturer (see above) or to a third party, where I would have to pay. Besides, I have always been advised that it is dangerous to update your BIOS.

Your thoughts?

I have also determined that I am not ACPI capable so will have to click on F5 to change it to Standard PC.

The following has me puzzled. Doesn't XP come with these standard issue drivers referenced below?:

The point is, make sure you have the drivers downloaded and saved where they will be available during the XP installation. Drivers for RAID and SCSI devices fall into this same category. Make sure they are available at the beginning of the installation process.
0 Replies

prying eyes

Reply Tue 8 Feb, 2005 07:45 am
article sort of fear installing.
no need to press f5 and i think ur current bios can handle xp. these are minor factors which wont affect many.
unless u've any raid or scsi devices (most probabily u wont, as u hve only one hdd), u don't hve to worry 'bout anything.
let's hope everything goes smoothly.
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Tue 8 Feb, 2005 09:34 am
Well, that didn't work. Either I have forgotten something simple and basic, or I can't do a clean install from the SP cd I have. First possibility:

I put the XP cd in the cd-rom, and turned on the machine. XP booted up in normal mode. Ah ha, I said to myself. I forget to change the BIOS setting to boot from IDE-0 to boot from cd-rom. So I hit delete on boot, go into BIOS, and change the setting to primary boot: cd-room, secondary boot: IDE-0.

Shut down, Try Again. CLicking on F8, a page comes up that I am not used to seeing. Contains no option to install with cd-rom support. Click on options and nothing looks familiar.

Any ideas? Should I not have had the XP cd in the cd-rom drive at the beginning, while clicking on F8?

Next possibility. I did not install the XP Pro from disc. It was installed by someone who hand carried a copy over from Europe, and installed it.

What should I try?
0 Replies