Cat person with a dog?

Eva

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2005 10:43 pm
Thanks again! No, I don't remember Cav ever telling us that story, or if he did, I missed it. It's a good story...the dog picked you, I think. Wink We have a cat who picked us. We visited a vet who rescues animals from the local shelter, and there was this one orange striped male who climbed up the inside of the cage and screamed at us to get our attention...it was really the most pitiful cry...well, what could we do?!

I agree, I would not want to buy a dog long-distance. I know that breeders profile potential owners and send them pictures of the puppies and take great care shipping them and all, but still...I want to see the animal before deciding. Like you, I want to see which one we relate to best.

None of the pet stores in our city sells dogs anymore because of the terrible problem our state has with puppy mills. They only adopt out rescue dogs. I checked out Cavalier rescue organizations online, but they all said they only had a few middle-aged and older dogs and a lot of them were special needs. Apparently no one wants to get rid of these dogs! <LOL> Since this will be our very first dog, I don't think we're up to handling special needs. And we want one young enough to train. So we're probably going to have to find a breeder. I haven't found any around Tulsa yet, but so far I've found three in Oklahoma City (1.5 hrs. away) and one that is 2 hrs. away. Next I need to contact a few local vets and see if they know anyone closer.

BTW, every time I boil eggs now I think of your Paul. A few months ago he told us all the proper way to cook hardboiled eggs, and it was a revelation to me. To think, I'd been boiling them to death all these years! At any rate, it was just a small thing, but yet another way he changed our lives. I miss him, too. Hugs to you......
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 07:32 pm
LIAM's here!

We found a gorgeous, 8 month old Cavalier last week and brought him home over the weekend. The vet gave him a clean bill of health, so we can keep him!!!

He's a Blenheim (white & red) with typical big, brown eyes that melt you. We were very lucky to find one this age...past the "messy puppy" stage. He's already housebroken and very well-socialized. He has been a doll! Very gentle & affectionate & eager to please. And he never barks unless he sees another dog. Loves sleeping with my son, so my son is in heaven!

The dog comes from Irish bloodlines on both sides, so my son decided to name him Liam Clancy. ("Liam the Lover" is more like it, if you ask me.) Clancy was his sire's name, and Liam is the spitting image of his daddy.

We're in the process of teaching him how to get along around here, and for the most part he's been perfect. He wants to chase the cats, but we keep him on a short leash around the house. Basic language difference: "Chase" in dog means "play." "Chase" in cat means "kill something." Smile Liam just wants to be friends...he whimpers when they back away from him and always wags his tail at them. He lived with three adult cats in his breeder's home. But Rosie and Buster are going to be slow to come around, I think. They've never been around dogs before at all.

Anyway, I'm six days into this, so I'm at that Dear-God-What-Have-I-Gotten-Myself-Into stage. It's a lot like having a new baby around the house. I'm having to do everything differently, and not much is getting done. Whew!

Let's see...how can I post a picture?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 07:33 pm
the new puppy-mom effect

i remember it well

i only fell down on the street a couple of times from exhaustion

Very Happy
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 07:38 pm
Yep! That's it exactly! Please tell me it gets easier!

<zzzzzzzzSNOREzzzzzzzzz>
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 07:42 pm
It does get easier, and then you miss the puppy moments Sad

<have you figured out how to get the pic on here?>
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 11:29 pm
I uploaded it to Raven's Realm, then right-clicked on Properties to get the address there, then inserted it here as a URL link. Let's see if it works.

LIAM
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 02:40 am
Congratulations on the new member of the family. Liam is a beautiful dog! Cheers and many years of happiness for all of you!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 09:12 am
Congratulations, Eva. He's a charmer.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 08:02 pm
Thanks, everybody!

Yes, Noddy, he IS a charmer! (And the dog's pretty cute, too. Wink )
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 7 May, 2005 09:54 am
Eva--

One charmer--nearly finished. One charmer--under development.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sat 7 May, 2005 11:50 am
Very Happy
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Sat 7 May, 2005 01:21 pm
aaaaahhhhhh!!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 8 May, 2005 06:13 pm
What a gawgggggggggeous pair they are.

<get any sleep lately?>
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 14 May, 2005 09:24 am
Two charmers!
Liam has a winning presence for sure...
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sat 14 May, 2005 09:51 am
Thanks, everyone!

The dog has been pretty nearly perfect. He's been here two weeks and hasn't had a single accident. Very affectionate. Only barks when he sees other dogs. He plays several times a day and always wants to be close to someone. He's a snuggler. We're learning to adjust our schedules so he won't be left alone for more than a couple of hours a day. (That is tough!...VERY different from having cats!)

Speaking of the cats...

As long as we're holding the dog in our arms, Rosie and Buster are okay with it. But if he's on the floor, they run. And the dog loves to chase them, whimpering and wagging his tail all the way. I don't think Liam would actually hurt them...he was raised with three cats...but he wants to make friends and they are freaked out. We have the dog on a leash when he's around the house with us, but sometimes he gets loose and immediately goes looking for the cats. Fortunately, his dog tags give him away in plenty of time for the cats to scoot. And the soft fur on his feet make him skid on bare floors, so he's no match for the cats' speed. In the event that he corners them under the bed, they hiss and growl at him, but we have to come and take him away. He'd stay there all day, waiting for them to come out and worrying them to death.

Any suggestions?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 14 May, 2005 10:00 am
I'd take off his collar and let him go annoy the cats. They all need to learn to live together - unleashed - when you're not around.

I wouldn't have him leashed in the house at all, unless there is specific training you are doing with him. In fact, I'd take the collar off, unless there is a risk of him breaking out of the house.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 14 May, 2005 12:53 pm
Testy senior cats have to prove to the puppy that they have claws and few inhibitions about using the claws. I bet Liam is quick enough to learn from one scratched nose.

I knew a wire-haired terrier who learned in just 30 seconds that cats are not toys. For the rest of their time together, Jeri, pretended that cats were invisible--so, of course, there was nothing she could do about them.

Your cats are indoor cats, aren't they?
0 Replies

Bekaboo

Reply Sat 14 May, 2005 02:59 pm
Awww that's such a gorgeous dog!!
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sat 14 May, 2005 08:59 pm
Yes, Noddy, our cats are indoor cats. And their front claws have been removed, so they're somewhat limited when it comes to defending themselves. They can't scratch Liam's nose....just hiss and growl at him. And he thinks that's FUN!

(We had the cats declawed when they were 6 months old. They shredded the drapes...but only when we were sleeping or weren't around. We couldn't afford to replace all the drapes and didn't want to get rid of the cats, so that was the best solution.)

Hubby & son took Liam to a campout today for a short while. Liam met up with a couple of farm cats who were a whole different story. He ran up to them and barked and they just sat there on fence posts, looking down at him, daring him to come and get them. Hubby said the cats looked at the dog as if to say, "Hey, we've eaten bigger dogs than you for breakfast, Bud. Get lost." Liam was VERY confused! Cats are supposed to run!! These were not at all like the two pampered scaredy cats at home.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sat 14 May, 2005 09:05 pm
You'd still let him chase two declawed cats? (He's slightly larger than they are.)
0 Replies