Cat person with a dog?

Eva

Reply Fri 4 Feb, 2005 10:04 am
Okay, folks, I need some advice.

I am a confirmed cat person. I love them to pieces. We have two pampered housecats now, both are about 5 years old. This is exactly what I want.

However, my husband and son are thinking about us getting a dog. Hubby thinks every boy should have the experience of having a dog for a buddy. <BIG SIGH> I am willing to discuss the idea, but truthfully, I don't like dogs. They're smelly, noisy and dumb. I really hate nervous, yappy dogs and am mortally afraid of large, barking dog. Like my cats, I like things calm, quiet, clean and peaceful.

This isn't just my house, though, so I'm not going to tell them they can't have what they want. The reason this is bugging me so much is that I'm the one who's here all day while they're gone. I would probably wind up taking care of their dog. Hubby loves the two cats, but I'm the one who feeds them everyday, changes their litter box, takes them to the vet, all of that. I really don't want to take on a lot more responsibility here.

And what about my cats? We have a small yard, and the dog would likely spend most of its time indoors. What's the trick to getting dogs & cats to coexist peacefully?

What I really want to know...what kinds of dogs are the most like cats? Laughing
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 13,072 • Replies: 132
No top replies

Joahaeyo

Reply Fri 4 Feb, 2005 10:12 am
I can't emphasize how many times maltese's and shih tzu's are compared to cats. ...in their mannerisms, how they play, etc.

Small dogs by no means mean yappy. You just have to know the mom/dad and each dog's personality. Smile
My dog is not yappy nor is any of my family's (full of shih tzus, maltese, and lhasa apso's)

in "my" opinion though, I wouldn't call a maltese a "boy" dog. hehe You can play a little more rough with a shih tzu.

all the above dogs do not shed but they require more grooming than others.

the most common breeds I see with boys is a rat terrier, boston terrier, pugs, and dachshunds. short-haired breeds (shed), nice small size, but can handle some rough play.

i just wrote something on this, but in my experience ...most of the time the relationship between a cat and a dog depends on "the cat." Do your cats hate dogs already? If so, I'd expect after a month, they'll just end up ignoring the dog. In my opinion, this is fine because the house remains peaceful and the dog learns to keep his/her distance. Puppies are the easiest b/c after the intial shock, the puppies are so persistant that the cats learn to tolerate and sometimes "play."

edit: I'm not saying every case is the same. ...just seems like when most people introduce their dogs w/cats (or other way around) ...it's the cats who have the most say. Smile
0 Replies

Joahaeyo

Reply Fri 4 Feb, 2005 10:20 am
I also think the most important key to having a dog is preparation.

...knowing how to react, what to do, and how to properly train and raise your dog.

There are really only a few "dumb dogs" in my opinion and you can even narrow those few down to just "stubborn" ...which i'm sure you already know about having cats (at least mine talks back to me if I ask her to do something...lol). ...the rest of the dogs just have misguided/informed owners. Surprised
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 4 Feb, 2005 10:23 am
I would stay away from terriers. They're small, but can be hyperactive.

At one time, I had a German shepherd and a cat with kittens. Momma cat didn't like dogs. The dog liked playing with the kittens - carrying them around the house, licking them, etc. It was a hoot.

Ask Jespah, or someone, but I think there's something out there like a miniature shepherd that might work. Stay away from the real working breeds. A border collie would go nuts as a house dog, and take you with him.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 4 Feb, 2005 10:26 am
Hmmmm, this is a tough one, Eva. I love dogs myself, but since I don't have the patience to train them, walk them, etc, I too prefer cats.
I've never had a dog and cat at the same time, so there's not much advice I can give, but I do want to be here to support you.

Joa knows all about this stuff and I know she'll be a tremendous help to you.
0 Replies

Joahaeyo

Reply Fri 4 Feb, 2005 10:35 am
Montana is too kind. I kinda understand where you're coming from ONLY because I am very anal and do not like shedding, stubborn dogs, or have lots of patience.

this is how/why I began researching dogs so much.

though i presently own a very very stubborn breed (the sheepie in my avatar), ...like most things you learn from training techniques, each individual personality of the dog, and you grow patience. haha

I can't believe I forgot!!!!

"IN MY opinion" ...it can't get smarter than a mini schnauzer (or poodle but it's hard to convince a boy to get one of those).

They don't shed, aren't high maintenance, very good dog to have with a boy, nice size, great for apts though you must exercise, and protective!

They do like to herd cats (meaning the breed is known for this though not all do); however, I'm very confident you would have no problems finding a breeder who raises the two together OR just socializing your new pup with your cats from early on. The only other "known" common problem with this breed is that they bark a lot. Again, however... many people have gotten dogs from breeders who don't have barkers and socialization makes them less protective of the home (no barking). Besides, they are more known to only bark when someone comes to the door, etc. very smart sturdy dog.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 4 Feb, 2005 10:46 am
I Googled for Dog/Owner/Personality Tests and this is the first one that popped up:

http://sy.adiho.com/ASA/Controller?adi_hasScript=1&_AD_195R22=86&adi_scriptSID=E563CD1BF51EAA33A0DBF61A355DB814&sysid=4&appid=9901

Remember, the bigger the dog, the longer puppyhood lasts.

Also, the bigger the dog, the more exercise they need.

If the men in your house want a lab size or larger, insist that they spend at least a month before the dog arrives walking two hours a day. No walks, no dog.

Five year old cats are perfectly capable of teaching a puppy the way that he should go.

I've had both dogs and cats. I value dogs because a dog really listens to what you say. Cats are occupied with their own deep thoughts and don't care about my household routine or discontents or plans for the future.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 4 Feb, 2005 10:48 am
Something didn't work about that link, Noddy... for me, anyway.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 4 Feb, 2005 10:50 am
Buhunds are said to be the most cat-like of dogs. Some of the smaller European spitzes are very cat-like in their interest in grooming.

Neither of my spitz crosses are yappy. One is a total hair dropping vehicle though.

My personal experience with standard and giant schnauzers results in a "Gawd no" for anyone who is not an experienced dog person. I don't find them good for beginners - noisy, huuuuuge poopers (unbelievably huge), beyond stubborn.

I've rarely spent time with a dog that isn't smarter than a cat.

They're really such different types of beings to live with - cats and dogs.

I love both, but I can only tolerate living with a dog. I need something that can learn and apply the rules of co-existence.

Training's key. Eva, Mr. Eva, and junior Mr. Eva should all attend training with any dog that comes into the house. A good trainer will insist that all humans in the household attend training sessions.
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Fri 4 Feb, 2005 10:56 am
I'm a cat person too and like you, I'm not fond of dogs. When I was four years old, I got a nasty bite on my arm by the family dog. I was just riding my tricycle and the dog ran up and bit me…after that mom got rid of him, and we have owned cats ever since.

My husband has always wanted a Spaniel, but at the time, we both worked long hours and wouldn't have had time to give it the care it needed…I'm glad it worked out that way because I have a nice flower garden all around the back yard and I would hate for it to be trampled down.

Eva, I can't offer any real advice on what you should do, but, I did want to you to know that I'm on your side :wink: .
0 Replies

JustBrooke

Reply Fri 4 Feb, 2005 11:02 am
Eva......... I have two black labs. They are very peaceful dogs. Very well behaved and mild mannered. They LOVE children. If a baby pats them too hard or pulls on their ears, they just sit still and take it or either walk off. At the same time, they are VERY protective of children. It's like they have a sense that they are not grown up yet, and need protection.

Yes they do have a loud bark. I like that though in my case. Not too many people are going to want to break into my house when they hear em' barking. :wink:

It helps that I live in the country. They have alot of room to roam. I take them jogging with me and they love it.

When I was at home, we had a Collie. Our cats would crawl up on the collies body when he would be sleeping and they would curl up and go to sleep too. The dog was very gentle with them. It's funny because the dog was full grown when we got the cats. Not like they grew up as babies together.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 4 Feb, 2005 11:07 am
I love the no walks, no dog suggestion. I think your concern that you would be stuck with the care is a really valid one, Eva.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Fri 4 Feb, 2005 11:11 am
We have three cats now. We LOVE our cats.

If we ever did get a dog, I would insist on a doberman pinscher. I had a doberman (over 20 years ago) -- and she was the BEST dog in the whole world. I swear. She was beautiful, affectionate, playful, quiet (not a yipper at all), gentle, and INTELLIGENT. Wow. She learned quickly! She was so easy to train -- it was a pleasure to work with her. She LOVED her obedience lessons and the training sessions.

A doberman is very people/family-oriented -- they don't do well if abandoned in the back yard. They NEED human interaction -- they NEED to be a loved and respected part of the family. I just can't list all the rewards of having a doberman that you have raised from a pup and have properly trained. (If you tell them to stay -- man, they STAY -- even if a T-bone steak is sitting right next to them! LOL)

Well . . . that's my plug for doberman pinschers!
0 Replies

Joahaeyo

Reply Fri 4 Feb, 2005 11:12 am
I've always found labs to get along with cats too. They are friendly with everyone, really! Smile

However, be prepared with the training! I know you probably already know through friends who have friends who have friends with labs *cheese* ...and they'll all say they're super smart... but I agree that the bigger the dog, the tougher training can be for first time owners.

this doesn't mean a small dog can't be a punk when it comes to housebreaking, but you do have a higher likelihood of dealing with less damaged goods (shoes, sweaters, biting, chewing on furniture, handling such a large size, the size of turds, etc, etc). ...but exercising a big dog and training can mean you don't have any of it (well an amount that isn't tolerable). Very Happy

We have 2 puppies in the house right now. 2lb one and then of course my large sheepie. By far... the small dog is easier. She can be put in a pen where there is a puppy pad. When she play bites, I don't feel an urgent need to "nip it in the bud" as I do my larger dog. However, it is a bad mommy of me to not "nip" any playbiting right away that gets too hard, but I'm also just babysitting the small one. Smile
0 Replies

Joahaeyo

Reply Fri 4 Feb, 2005 11:14 am
You could also go to the humane society or a rescue and let them match a dog up with your kid's personality and your lifestyle. Smile

Many breeds known for this, that, or the other are already broken of those habits AND pottytrained. They make great pets for some! I esp. like those terrier mixes that come into the rescue I used to work at.

For the record, I do not like terriers because they tend to be more snippy than the dogs I like, but I think they're great for boys, other people, and have tons and tons of personality!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 4 Feb, 2005 11:20 am
Terriers definitely need a dominant handler. You spot a fair number of them in rescues.

Training training training.

I think almost any dog can be a grand dog if they're well trained, and the humans remain consistent.

<this thread just made me dream - I'd love love love to have a Schipperke someday - divine little devils - eminently trainable - met a young one recently <swoon>>
0 Replies

Joahaeyo

Reply Fri 4 Feb, 2005 11:24 am
sorry. i like certain topics more than others. Sad

for me, nothing came over night. i also just moved from a house where my roommate had 2 other cats that HATED dogs (not labs though...). it took lots and lots of time for them to get along and at times ...I thought it would be impossible. ...eventually my DOG had to learn how to keep her space. after a year (an entire year), they could pass each other, sniff, say hello, and then go back to keeping their distance.

bringing in a puppy was the easiest in all 3 cases.

i do advise everyone showering (even the puppy) when they first come in. my cat went bonkers ON ME and the other animals until we all wiped off the new smell. washing the new animal in a familiar shampoo and getting other outside smells off...helped SO much.

http://img134.exs.cx/img134/7750/a27vl.jpg

http://img134.exs.cx/img134/637/a222cl.jpg

http://img134.exs.cx/img134/6822/a2221uk.jpg

http://img134.exs.cx/img134/1954/a22220hi.jpg

please don't make fun of my pajama pants Razz
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 4 Feb, 2005 11:49 am
Try the main Purina site:

http://www.dogchow.com/

On the left hand table of contents scroll down to "Finding the Right Dog".
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Fri 4 Feb, 2005 02:05 pm
Oh, thank you all so much for responding! I wasn't sure if anyone would be interested in my dilemma.

You are giving me a lot to think about. I've never owned a dog before. (And still not completely convinced! Wink)

Clearly, the three of us are due to have a very serious talk about all of this. The boys (I refer to Hubby & son this way) must convince me they are really up to taking care of this additional pet. I liked Noddy's suggestion about walking, and I think I'd add a few things to it. Like, for the same month, they're totally responsible for feeding & cleaning up after the cats. (Less work than a dog, right?) That shouldn't be a very hard test.

Also, I think if this is what they want, they need to do the legwork necessary to convince me. They should be the ones checking out various breeds, training courses, costs, etc. (Not that I won't double-check behind their back, of course, but the primary responsibility should be theirs, no?)

I'm glad to hear all the remarks about dogs & cats living together harmoniously. My two cats have never been around a dog...we got both of them as small kittens from a vet who had raised them. However, they are "scaredy cats." Anytime a new person comes in the house, they both dive for cover. Even my cleaning help doesn't see them for 6 months at a time. But surely they would adjust? I am guardedly optimistic.

We have a good friend who owns a Bichon, and we're trying to talk him into coming to visit (he lives out of town) for a weekend and bringing the dog with him. Just to get a taste of what it's like to have a small dog in the house. Good idea?

Anyway, we're FAR from making a decison about this. But I do thank you for all the good advice and support. Keep it coming!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 4 Feb, 2005 02:41 pm
Eva--

I agree completely about giving the dog loving boys the responsiblity of researching the dogs.

Keep a few veto rights: reasonable size, no floppy lips (floppy lips drool), low bark breed, and if possible, avoid hunting breeds--dogs bred for hunting roam.

Hold your dominion.
0 Replies