Cat person with a dog?

Eva

Reply Fri 4 Feb, 2005 03:22 pm
I have a firm grip on its leash, Noddy. Smile
0 Replies

Joahaeyo

Reply Fri 4 Feb, 2005 03:35 pm
Eva, I think that's a wonderful idea!

just remember that you shouldn't force anything. if they don't go nuts "hiding" from the dog and the new scent, i'd consider that a good sign! one of my roommate's cats falls under the extreme scaredy-cat category, and she's the one that the dogs eventually learned to keep their distance (she warned them w/her claws, hissing, etc). she never HURT them, just clawed to say "keep your distance"

Plus, Bichon's are good hardy dogs (my maltese is from the bichon family). many people i talk to do not like bichons (mostly b/c they remind them of poodles), but i love them!

They are KNOWN to be hard to potty train, but ....many people will say they had no problems. ...just stating what is said about the overall breed. They learn tricks quickly!
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Fri 4 Feb, 2005 05:46 pm
Oh, I'm not looking at that particular breed, Joa...at least, not yet. I just want us all to see what it's like to have a dog around for a few days. And I'm sure that even within breeds, each dog has its own personality.

Another question...when you get a kitten, you really don't know what kind of personality it will have as a cat. Often shy kittens turn out to be boisterous, or overly active kittens (like one of mine) become reclusive adults. You just can't tell. It has never mattered to me, because I love all cats.

Does it work the same way with dogs? Would I be better off getting an adult dog with known personality traits?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 4 Feb, 2005 07:52 pm
I'm a dog adorer, with long years in between having a dog...

- my parents had dogs before I was born (pictures of english setter, and a small irish setter). We moved and had other things going on, never did get a dog, as a family. My mother hated cats, so that was out too. They did give me Big Red, a book about an irish setter for a birthday, probably when I was ten.

- my aunt, who we lived with once in a while, had an older irish setter. I guess I fixed on him as beautiful and wonderful, but he was only in my life a short time - Rusty, back when I was about seven.

- no dogs.... for, lessee, 1978, say, less 1949, at my aunt's house, that'd be 29 years.

- my husband arrived with a mama cat and her kitten, and I was both allergic and loved their being there, so they stayed.

- he came home one day after a trip to the Alhambra Lumber yard with a miserable skinny irish setter in his chevy apache truck, so we could find it a home. Doh, it stayed.

There was no fancy intro to the cats - we didn't know about that that was wise. Kelly never tried to eat them, and they didn't scratch his eyes out.

- and then my husband loved Kelly so much he couldn't move on to another dog after he died. I suppose I should have brought one home, but I didn't have the savvy.

- Years pass, I move north, and my business partner is an animal magnet. Dogs and cats abide easily in their house. Let's say low effort re introduction.

- and I have a friend, right this minute, five hundred miles south of me, going through careful steps re introducing his new dogs, two rescued corgi-chihuahuas (I can't type this without howling laughing, they are soooooooooo cute!) and he takes photos nearly every day, but then he photos his cats too - anyway, they are still kept separate as he works out the intro from various online instructions.

I think it might be easier to know less and just introduce them.

What I notice re Pacco, surely a feral cur from time to time, is territory matters. He is perfectly polite, and the Art Center cats are known to him, when he enters the parking lot courtyard, as prior occupants.
He understands they have business there.

But if a dog comes in the gallery, even a widdybiddydoggy in the arms of an owner, Pacco will electrify, which is why I keep him behind a gate.

A couple of days ago when arriving in the work parking lot, I let him out (always on leash) and he stood at EGADS stance, but didn't go into ATTACK CORGI mode - sure enough, it was Derby the Dobie who had waltzed out of the gallery and was looking at a cat dish under the pine tree. Pacco agreed he was ok in that parking lot space ... the same one he lets the cats abide in.

So.... my own thinking is to let the dog know the cats already have the space. (Which is to say, I am not so sure about the separating thing my friend is doing.)

But I'm no expert, just the opposite.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 4 Feb, 2005 07:56 pm
Not all dogs are corgi-like in their protection of the pack.

But Pacco's predelictions give me a sense of what dogs are about, re adjustment.
0 Replies

CowDoc

Reply Fri 4 Feb, 2005 09:04 pm
Eva, you're on the right track by not specifying a particular breed. Every breed of dog (or any other domestic animal) contains individuals both wonderful and repulsive. My advice is simple and has always worked: go to your local animal shelter and tell the people at the front desk the size of dog you are looking for and basically what you want the dog to do. That is, do you want a lap dog, a dog to run with the kids, a guard dog, etc. Then, take the first dog they bring out home. Those people know the dogs in their care very well, and they want to find a good home for their favorites. I personally prefer a mutt with as many varied breeds in his pedigree as possible. Then, you don't have to overcome five hundred years of selective breeding to train him to do whatever it is you want him to do! If you decide you want to get a dog, here's hoping you find one as good as the one I brought home five years ago. She plays at every opportunity, brings in the paper, helps me work cattle, and makes friends everywhere we go.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 4 Feb, 2005 09:23 pm
I got Pacco the corgi from the Humane Society, and quite a match we are. He's my dawwwwwwwwwwwwg.

still, I think it is not unuseful to look at breed behaviors....

while I agree that muttdom may be best... re some mutts, some are more problematic than others.

eh, it is hard for me to not like any dog at all. I can slam a door in my mind and in practice for those who have been bred to attack and raised poorly, but I always think of the dog.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Fri 4 Feb, 2005 11:28 pm
Well, had a good talk with the boys tonight. They were very receptive to my point of view. We looked at the site you recommended, Noddy, and filled out the online form. That brought up a bunch more issues, and we talked about those, too.

We'd want a small dog...under 20 lbs...that is not too dominant, that doesn't require a great deal of exercising or special grooming, and is rather calm but companionable. It would spend almost all its time in the house. My son and I liked the site's description of English Toy Spaniels (aka King Charles Spaniels)...anyone know anything about this breed?

The suggestion to go to the humane society and describe what we're looking for...that's a good one. We don't necessarily need a purebred. The site's questionnaire really helped us define what would and wouldn't work for us, though. So thanks again for directing me there.

I made it very clear to them both tonight that a dog would be their responsibility, not mine. All feeding, grooming, exercising, clean-up, etc. would be up to them. Hubby is really having to think whether he wants to do that or not. Which is good. Very good.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 4 Feb, 2005 11:37 pm
Good moves, eva. And.. a king charles, is that not what our Cav is?????
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2005 12:18 am
I don't think so. A Cavalier King Charles Spaniel is an entirely different breed, from what I understand.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2005 01:51 am
Nothing to add. Just wanted to say that this thread has been a pleasure to read.
Good luck with it, Eva! Very Happy
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2005 06:06 am
yes good luck Eva - we've never had dogs so no advice to give - but I think that there aren't King Charles spaniels as such, they are Cavalier King Charles - anyway I've never heard of any. Do they have slightly protuberant eyes? if so, definitely Cav
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2005 06:48 am
http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/englishtoyspaniel.htm

Nope, not the same, although related.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2005 07:41 am
yes definitely different - might it have breathing problems with that squashed nose? I know some breeds like Pekes (much more squashed I know) do.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2005 08:59 am
Good question. It might also need more companionship than the boys are able to give it. But the rest of the description fits.

This is hard.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2005 09:31 am
Re: Cat person with a dog?
Eva wrote:

What I really want to know...what kinds of dogs are the most like cats? Laughing

Greyhounds, darling.
They ARE cats in dog's bodies. They are lap animals, lazy , and very.. VERY humble and quiet.
On the flip side of thier personality, they can be rowdy, exciteable, and act like a dog.
They need walking because they CAN get lazy and that isnt good for thier joints. They love to lay on the couch. Problem with getting a greyhoud, if they have been raced, they MAY think to chase your cats. Small moving target.. reminds them of racing days. Not entirely true of all retired racers.. but a general rule of thumb.
Another good calm dog, Great Dane. Thier bark is more scary then images of hell.. lemme tell ya! HAHAH!!! But they are not yappy, exciteable or annoying. They too are very laid back dogs. Both dogs are beautiful and great natured. Great Danes , from all the people I know ( quite a few!!) who have them, also have cats because they dont go after them. Your cats on the other hand will not be happy with this monster of a dog. Sorry. Just wont happen.
A good thing to do, if this dog buying stuff is serious.. Go to a pet store, take several washcloths with you and rub them on the dogs faces. Around thier mouths and behind thier ears ( that is where there scent glands are ) Take the washcloths and lay them around the house. Get your cats used to the smell of a diffrent animal. They will not be as intimidated when a dog arrives if they have become used to other animals scents invading thier space.
If at all possible, when you Do adopt the dog, keep a 12 hr scent schedule:
Mornings, when cats are less active, keep them in a room. Let them smell the dog under the door and hear him moving through out the house safely.
12 hrs later, put the dog in that room and let the cats out. For a few days they can get used to each other scents before actually meeting. Then.. get ready for claws and hissing.. because you will want to introduce them face to face.. oy.. that is gonna be hard.
Best way to do it is in a large room with minimal furniture. Face to face sounds cruel.. BUT it is the most effective. Peeking around corners at each other will only prolong the introduction and can engraine fighting in thier behaviors twords each other.
>sigh< I have gone through this animal intorduction many times.
I really feel for ya...
espically your cats.
I have 2. One who is almost 6 and another who is 3.
I cant imagine having to do all of that to them again,
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2005 10:10 am
Cav does have a Cavalier King Charles spaniel, I just looked up some of his posts on having one.
http://www.ckcsc.org/
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2005 11:50 am
The washcloth idea was a great one, shewolf! Knowing how particular cats are about smells, that would make a huge difference. And the tips on how to introduce them to each other is undoubtedly good advice.

I can't see us with a large dog, however. The boys don't mind taking a dog for short walks a few times a week, but they don't want a dog who needs regular exercise. And I'm very protective of my antique furniture (family heirlooms) so I'd have a heart attack with a large dog in the house!

The breed I mentioned was the only small dog I could find information about that was fairly inactive. It seems most small dogs are extremely active. (I'm new to this...can you tell? Wink )

I woke up this morning realizing it would really be better if we wait to get a dog until school is out. Right now, my son has a very full daily schedule. Once school is out, he'll be around the house pretty much all day most days. That would give him a better opportunity to bond with the dog and get used to taking care of it. (Instead of me...this is supposed to be HIS dog.) So I talked to hubby & son about this concern this morning, and they both agreed with me. Plus, this will give them both a few months to prepare for having a dog. I think they need that. I know I do.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2005 02:12 pm
King Charles Spaniel? Think grooming (or severe clipping).

If you love that dog, you've got to love that dog hair.

Taking the two-legged members of the family to the pound is a good idea. Let the menfolks actually look at real, live dogs.

I've had two dogs from the pound--Cassandra, mutt pup, was a delight. Iffy, pit bull, is a gold digging guttersnipe. She's also loyal, affectionate and hell for other dogs.

More than four out of five dogs in an Animal Shelter are put to sleep--homes are just not available.
0 Replies

Joahaeyo

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2005 02:25 pm
I think they're wonderful dogs. VERY affectionate. Very playful. ...and have a high rate of getting along with anything that breathes/moves.

Loves your lap too!!!

I respectfully disagree on the high maintenance grooming. Smile A brush through and this dog is fine. Have a dog that gets matts just from breathing and come back to me. haha I grew up with neighbors that had one and have been to several dog shows ...and though their ears may mat, it's really not bad. Brushing is a good chore to give your son! Plus, they're only average shedders, so it could always be worse. If it bothers you, THEN I would recommend clipping your dog so he/she has short hair. it's becoming more and more of a trend these days and not as odd as it may sound since this dog is normally thought to not be clipped down (or many other breeds). otherwise, their hair will not be tough task. Smile
0 Replies