Cat person with a dog?

Eva

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2005 08:31 pm
I have always had at least one longhaired cat, so shedding is something we've already learned to live with. But the English Toy Spaniels (4 colors in the breed: the tricolors are called King Charles Spaniels) are not supposed to be bad about it according to the information I've read...?

My son would LOVE LOVE LOVE a dog that he could hold and that would sit on his lap. He's always been frustrated because neither of our cats like to be held. He's very gentle with animals.

I sent them to the pet store today to buy cat food, knowing that they would also look at rescue dogs. Hubby saw a Lhasa Apso he liked, but it was already 5 years old and he wants a puppy or a young dog. Now he's checking up on that breed, too. And he bought a book for he & son to read together: Puppies for Dummies. <LOL>
0 Replies

Joahaeyo

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2005 08:35 pm
Would you mind if I recommended a book?

It's unbelieveably comprehensive BUT a very fun, light read. It has taught me everything I know about animals ...and everything other books forgot to mention. Every behavior problem is in here. The reviews are great!!

The Dog Listener

My sister in law has a lhasa. She lets the 2-yr-old PULL, YANK, and tug on her to a point you HAVE to think "poor dog" ...but the dog tolerates it all!!!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2005 10:12 pm
The Dummies books are quite good for new dog owners.

<and please please please - whatever else you do, do not consider an animal from a pet store - it simply supports the dreadful puppy mill industry>
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2005 10:28 pm
Joahaeyo wrote:
I think they're wonderful dogs. VERY affectionate. Very playful. ...and have a high rate of getting along with anything that breathes/moves.

Loves your lap too!!!

I respectfully disagree on the high maintenance grooming.

My doberman pinscher was extremely affectionate. When she was full grown, she still wanted to sit on my lap. ROFL A doberman -- a lap dog? Yep. Also, when I took her in the car, she sat in the front seat right next to me. It was almost embarrassing because she would lay her head on my shoulder as we drove . . . I got the funniest looks from people in other cars as they passed by . . . .

And grooming . . . dobermans require very little . . . a bath and a brushing. They look elegant . . . graceful . . . (of course, I was so "in love" with my doberman that I can hardly be objective!)
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 6 Feb, 2005 12:29 am
I love Derby the dobie - my business partner's dog. He's an absolute doll. Too much for me personally to handle, but he's right for her. I never remember the details, but I think his grandfather was all time best dog at Westminister. (Or, hey, at least high up there.) She got him from her sister who breeds dobies because he failed full testicle descension and couldn't be shown.

On smaller dogs, I am gradually acquiring interest. A client of ours has a Westie, West Highland Terrier, and he seems (sorry Jo) less squeaky poo poo than many other dustmop types....
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sun 6 Feb, 2005 01:38 pm
ehBeth wrote:
<and please please please - whatever else you do, do not consider an animal from a pet store - it simply supports the dreadful puppy mill industry>

Our major pet stores here don't sell dogs and cats anymore. They only host local rescue agencies, who bring in some of their animals once a week for adoption, along with their own personnel to screen potential owners. The store makes no money from it, they consider it a community service. We have a major problem in Oklahoma with puppy mills, and the authorities are trying as hard as they can to shut them down. The stores are cooperating with their efforts.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 6 Feb, 2005 01:42 pm
That's great, Eva.

We almost got Bailey's companion from one of those set-ups where the rescues bring dogs to the store for preliminary viewings. I was going with him almost every weekend for a while to meet possible companions. Then Cleo got the 48 hour notice, and she became our girl.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Sun 6 Feb, 2005 01:45 pm
Debra, I want a dog like that. I want a dog, period. Not gonna happen anytime soon, I have a lot of traveling ahead...
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sun 6 Feb, 2005 02:23 pm
ehBeth -- Glad I could set your mind at ease. I'd never support the puppy mills. It's disgusting what those people will do.

Some of the local rescue agencies get their animals from the animal shelter...they choose the most "adoptable" ones (health, temperament, etc.)...and they place them in foster homes or with veterinarians until they're adopted. They've all been checked out medically, have all their shots, etc. So you are at least getting a dog from someone who knows a little bit about it. At the pet stores, they will tell you, "This dog needs a home with no children under 8," or "This dog would be a good companion for a single, elderly person," or "This one gets along well with other animals," etc. Not as much info as you'd get from a good breeder, but better than taking your chances at the shelter, I think. Was your experience with the local agencies the same up there?

Anyway, the boys have plenty of time to read and prepare before the time comes to actually select a dog. I'm glad they're taking their time. (And I'm sure the cats are, too!)
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 6 Feb, 2005 02:46 pm
The young and impressionable person in your house is getting a fine grounding in the basics of family planning.
0 Replies

BorisKitten

Reply Sun 6 Feb, 2005 03:20 pm
Eva, it's wonderful to see someone so carefully selecting a dog! If only more pet owners were as thoughtful as you are....

We have 2 dogs & 3 cats, have had as many as 3 dogs & 5 cats, all of them one-time strays. One of our dogs is a Pit Bull mix, known to be aggresive to almost all other animals, but this one has always been very tender with cats, and trims them with her teeeth. All my cats love her & purr at her on sight! So yes, it's the individual animal more than the breed that counts.

I'm a firm believer in local animal shelters....and I also believe the best dogs are mixes. They're often a great deal more healthy & well-adjusted than purebred dogs. Sometimes you can get an animal shelter employee to call you when the sort of dog you're interested in shows up, just by calling & asking.

I think a puppy is a good idea, and the washcloth thing is a Great idea! Animals know when another is "just a baby," and a puppy will give your cats time to adjust.

All my cats & dogs get along wonderfully, but much supervision is requiried at the beginning to let them know what is OK & what's not.

Boris Kitten has done way more damage to my dogs than the other way around. He's never been the least bit afraid of them, though he's terrified of people. I almost think the cats-and-dogs-don't-get-along thing is way more legend than fact, given all my critters & their obvious love for one another.

http://img152.exs.cx/img152/5756/poostimpybinky4na.jpg

http://img152.exs.cx/img152/1066/stimpynboris2xl.jpg

http://img225.exs.cx/img225/1451/poonboris3nv.jpg
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 6 Feb, 2005 06:34 pm
The shelters here can be very picky.

Before Bailey came to live here, I had made it onto the short list to adopt from a shelter north of the city. To get that far, I had to 1) get a referral, 2) have 2 phone interviews, 3) complete an application, 4) have a home visit done, and 5) confirm who the new dog's vet would be. At that point, I was offered one of a group of American Eskimo puppies that had been found at a dump. That rescue got a lot of media coverage, so lots of people wanted those pups. I asked to be moved down the list - so that I'd get a dog that NEEDED a home - and didn't have a list of offers on it.

The people who originally referred me to that shelter rescued Bailey and brought him to me when the vet told them he had to go to a home where he would not be on trial - that he'd be kept regardless of anything that happened. He was/is my dog. I was waiting for him.

The processes at shelters is quite variable. I know that the one affiliated with the Petsmart here, where Bailey and I were going to meet possible dog buddies, also insists on meeting all adults who will be in the home before considering processing an adoption. No spur of the moment "I think I'll bring home a dog" situation.

I really like the approach you're taking - if/when your family adds to its pack - you'll be prepared (for most of it).
0 Replies

Joahaeyo

Reply Sun 6 Feb, 2005 06:56 pm
Quote:
On smaller dogs, I am gradually acquiring interest. A client of ours has a Westie, West Highland Terrier, and he seems (sorry Jo) less squeaky poo poo than many other dustmop types....

Not at all!!! Very Happy

You will never see me jump on a thread and say a Maltese is the best breed. I will however bet on a Poodle, Lab, Dob. Pin, and border collie. Common sense will tell you that these breeds (only named the ones top on my list) are extraordinarily smart, versatile, and normally the Ace in anything they do (sports, swimming, hunting, aiding the elderly, ...anything).

I will say that "I" would never get a Westie. *sticks tongue out* They're extremely snippy, and many owners I've known have said their dog has BIT THEM (though they knew it would happen b/c they know what irritates the dog). Still... breeds I get aren't known to do this. I do think they're VERY REGAL. I also remember hearing at a dog show that they're the most popular dog in England ....aside from the Cavalier of course.

ehbeth, I'm so glad to hear other shelters are as strict as the one I worked at. Not too many college girls liked me. I'm a stuck-up bulldog (being frank and what I heard behind my back). I HATE people who go in and just try to choose a dog based on how cute they are and if they're sweet. I refused to let them fill out an application (which I was allowed to do). I asked them politely to go home and research the breed, and if they still like him/her, then they could come back the next day and adopt her!! To me, that's very reasonable.

I would ask:

Do you know how big they get? (answer: no?)
Do you have a yard? (answer: no)
What do you plan on doing with the dog while you're away?

Do you have an idea the kind of grooming this dog requires (the few high-maintenance dogs that would come in... most would have their owners come back for them)?

Are you allowed to have a pet in your apt?
You realize you can't be gone for 8 hrs in class and then go out every night leaving your LARGE BREED in a crate every night right?

UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!! I just care a lot about the dogs that came in and did not want to see them back in the shelter!!!
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2005 12:51 pm
Noddy24 wrote:
The young and impressionable person in your house is getting a fine grounding in the basics of family planning.

Ooh, I hadn't thought of it like that, but I guess you're right! Cool
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2005 01:15 pm
Hmm.. ( im too lazy to read the entire thread.Laughing) Have you thought of a dog like Osso?? Twisted Evil
Welsh Corgie? ( proper spelling? )
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2005 01:53 pm
I wouldn't recommend a corgi (my treasure!) for a first time dog owner.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2005 01:58 pm
Really?
Why not?
I was considering one myself in a few years. Granted, I have had dogs before. My last dog died 2 years ago. german shepard. She was 14. :-( Loved her dearly.
But what is it about them that would make you say that Osso?
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2005 02:09 pm
Eva--

Speaking as a Mother of Sons, birth control can't start too early.

Years ago when I was living in the Favorite Neighborhood Dungeons & Dragons House, the wait at the pharmacy was very, very long. I occupied myself by collecting two of every condom pamphlet every rack.

When I got home I dumped all the educational material on the table in the rec room. Usually the after-school crowd charged in, refueled and started battling Orcs and other Evil Beings at top volume. That day even the non-readers in the crowd (ages 13 to 17) were fascinated by the reading material.

My vocal 13-year-old marched downstairs and demanded, "Why did you bring home all those pamphlets?" I said, "So you'd read them."

He marched back upstairs.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2005 02:19 pm
Hair and territoriality.

I know Eva doesn't care re the hair factory part. Corgis are very trainable, but they are protecting the herd 24/7. That is controllable with obedience training, but a corgi is not a dog I'd think of first for someone whose passion is not dogs.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2005 02:42 pm
I have heard that Corgis are great with small kids.
All the research i have done on the breed sort of confirms that rumor.
That is why i was considering one. It will be about 6 years before I get one.. but do you agree with this?
What is your take on the breed?
0 Replies