teach me about Cars

Reply Thu 3 Feb, 2005 02:17 pm
I know absolutly nothing about cars but want to learn, I don't want to be the girl stuck on the side of the road not knowing why her car whon't start...i also want to know about "racing" and Honda's Embarrassed
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 7,359 • Replies: 7
No top replies

duce

Reply Thu 3 Feb, 2005 02:27 pm
A Local Technical School in my hometown gave a course called :Powder Puff Mechanics" that was good. We learned to Check Air in Tires, Oil/Fluids, How to Change a Tire using Several Types of Jacks, and How to change a Spark Plug, and Belts.
Routine Stuff, you can do.

One thing I found is that if you can talk intelligently to your mechanic, you are less likely to get ripped off. I applaude you for starting this thread. I hope some really knowledgable people will go over the basics--like if it sounds like this then check that.. I would find that interesting on a basic level.

PS Welcome to ABle... Very Happy
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 3 Feb, 2005 02:32 pm
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/automobile.htm

http://www.csaa.com/global/articleindexsubcat/0,1395,1004010300,00.html

http://www.autosite.com/content/research/auto101/index.cfm/id/23868

I think this should keep you busy for awhile. Happy reading! Very Happy
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 3 Feb, 2005 02:40 pm
Wow. Your question is loaded. hehe. there is alot to a car, but on the same hand it is very basic.
Some good tips to avoid being stuck on the side of the road in the first place :

ALWAYS get your oil changed . If you miss the every 3000 mile mark, it is ok. Engines are made to handle mistakes. Just do it asap.

ALWAYS flush your radiator. Your oil change shop can do this for you.

ALWAYS check your breaks.

ALWAYS have the people who do your oil change check your battery wires. ( they usually do anyways.. )

Ask a mechanic , or go to a tire store, and ask someone to show you how to check the pressure in your tires. Tire pressure effects everything from gas mileage , to suspension. A simple loss of 10 lbs of pressure can cause expencive problems in the long run.

ALWAYS have a tune up!

I always, everytime no questions asked... reset my mileage counter when i fill my gas tank. Some times, little things go wrong in your engine that wont trigger any dashboard lights or sounds but will show up in how many miles per gallon you get. The next 2 times you fill your gas tank, do this . Start your mileage counter before you leave the pump. Try to let it get down to a little less then 1/4 tank and do it again. This will give you a great idea of how many miles you are getting per tank. If this ever drops significantly, take your car in. It is a good thing to pay attention to.

This is just basic stuff that may help you keep your car off the side of the road! good luck to ya!
0 Replies

duce

Reply Thu 3 Feb, 2005 02:48 pm
Thanks Wolf:

One of my cars "jumps" sometimes in stop & go take offs but runs great on the hwy. I'm afraid of transmission problems. How can I know whether to rebuild, replace or trade (its a 93 Cougar w/high miles, but what a nic---e ride, it was loaded when I got it and still looks GREAT). I don't want to put a bunch of $ in it, but if I could be reasonable sure the transmission was the only problem I would have in the next year or two I would fix it. Suggestions.... Confused
0 Replies

WantToLearn

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2005 02:17 pm
thanks for the info. it would be awsome to leave me a post wwith info on it everyonce in a while!
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2005 02:22 pm
Jumps as in how?
Does it feel like maybe your breaks are not releasing???
That would be like a jump-drag.. almost.
or jump as in lurches? the whole car?
Does your RPM's bounce when this happens?
0 Replies

duce

Reply Tue 8 Feb, 2005 09:28 am
shewolfnm wrote:
Jumps as in how?

Feels like it skips a space when changing gears

Does it feel like maybe your breaks are not releasing???
No.

Does your RPM's bounce when this happens?NO.

I think JUMP was the wrong word (I' southern) Rolling Eyes I mean SKIPS or stops a second. It's like you shifted into neutral for a second, then it picks back up.
0 Replies