timberlandko

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2005 09:36 pm
I could be wrong, but I figure a pup needs companionship, stability, routine, a well defined, orderly pack (even if that's just one pup and one human), proper nutrition, groomin', and veterinary care, consistent training and discipline, regular excercize, plenty of room to safely romp and roam and sniff and dig and roll and just lay around in, with plenty of safe toys, free access to fresh water and adequate shelter, and lots and lots of love and attention. Collars of course are a must, leashes an occasional necessity, and chains just aren't part of the picture - period. Like I said, I could be wrong, but that's always worked for me - and my pups. To me, they're critters, with personalities, emotions, expectations, and needs. Other folks seem to look at 'em as possessions - accessories. I'd rather have a trusted partner and valued companion than a thing.
0 Replies

wolf dog lover

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2005 10:37 pm
wolf
I am going to look after him, I know what they need it is just like any other dog, but needs more attension, I know your not aloud to have him chained up, but I don't read the web because they can say whatever they want, you don't know what is true and what isn't. I'm gonna let him free like my other pup.

They will have heaps of room.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2005 08:05 am
No offense to you at all Wolf_dog_lover, but you don't seem mature enough to handle a wolf. I just don't think you realize how much is involved.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2005 08:08 am
Montana wrote:
No offense to you at all Wolf_dog_lover, but you don't seem mature enough to handle a wolf. I just don't think you realize how much is involved.

You mean like watching your wife, kids, neighbors, cattle, horses etc. etc. all get eaten??
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2005 08:30 am
There is that whole resonsibility, forethought, and proper provisions thing goin' on - and since critters ain't big on any of that, any resultant problems hafta be laid over on the human side of the table.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2005 09:51 am
gungasnake wrote:
Montana wrote:

You mean like watching your wife, kids, neighbors, cattle, horses etc. etc. all get eaten??

No, that's not what I mean! Stop being so dramatic gunga!
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2005 12:17 pm
Dramatic hyperbole and misdirection are what boogeymen are all about, Montana - the concept simply doesn't work otherwise :wink:
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2005 12:42 pm
What beautiful white teeth you have, grandma....
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2005 03:45 pm
I found this cheerful.

By TATABOLINE BRANT
Anchorage Daily News

March 10, 2005

( CHARLES ATKINS / Anchorage Daily News)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Click on photo to enlarge

Melanie Gould's dog Olive may have been dropped from the Iditarod, but there's no question the husky can still run.

Airport and Iditarod officials spent the better part of Tuesday afternoon and evening chasing the sled dog around the windswept, snow-covered grounds of Ted Stevens Anchorage International Airport after she bolted off an incoming PenAir flight around 2:15 p.m.
Gould, who is competing in her fifth Iditarod this year, dropped Olive in Rohn, about 270 miles into the 1,100-mile race across Alaska, but officials would not say why the dog was cut from the team and flown to Anchorage. Olive was en route to her home in Talkeetna, about a three-hour drive from Anchorage, when she escaped.

"She just darted out the minute they opened that cargo bay," said Iditarod spokesman Chas St. George.

PenAir officials reached Wednesday declined to comment on the incident.

Airport authorities were notified of the problem around 2:30 p.m. Olive was loose in a roughly 2,100-acre, fenced-in area that includes all of the airport's major runways and trees and brush along the perimeters.

A small group of airport operations personnel and PenAir employees, as well as a few Iditarod officials, tried unsuccessfully for about four hours to capture Olive, said St. George and airport spokeswoman Jennifer Payne.

"That dog can really run," Payne said.

Kim Walker, a pipeline operator at the airport's fuel tank farm, said he spotted Olive at one point near one of the tanks, but she only looked in his direction for a moment and then darted away. "(She) looked more like a coyote to me," he said.

A veterinarian was called out early in the chase and came armed with a tranquilizer in case of an emergency, such as Olive playing chicken with a 747 on a runway, which never materialized, officials said.

The vet and airport operators ultimately decided to let Olive hunker down in some woods on the west side of the north-south runway until dawn, when they figured she'd be hungry and more cooperative, Payne said.

Operations folks kept a close eye on the runways overnight Tuesday to make sure there weren't any problems, Payne said. In the meantime, someone contacted a talkeetna man involved in Gould's kennel and asked him to come in the following morning to help capture Olive.

The man coaxed Olive into custody around 11:15 a.m. Wednesday by calling her name and offering her some fresh hamburger, St. George said. "She's a smart dog," he said. "If she's going to go back home she's going to get something good out of it."

A vet checked the dog and gave her a clean bill of health, officials said.

St. George said he couldn't disclose why the dog was dropped from the race because such information isn't part of the public record. In general, dogs can be dropped at any of the 22 checkpoints along the trail, for any number of reasons, such as a bad attitude, an injury or if they are under the weather. Mushers work closely with veterinarians on the decisions, St. George said.

Iditarod officials have not attempted to contact Gould about Olive's airport adventure. St. George said the musher has bigger things on her mind right now. Gould was in Takotna with her remaining 14 dogs and listed in 16th place Wednesday evening.

Daily News reporter Tataboline Brant can be reached at [email protected] or 257-4321.
0 Replies

wolf dog lover

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2005 05:54 pm
wolf
I know abit, not unless you timberlandko want to tell me more about lookin' after them since you are with them everyday.

They do eat raw meat don't they?
and they need to be in a 8.ft. enclosed gate don't they?
But what if you had one as a pup for it to get used to everything and grow up to know the whole family?

I have seen one here, it looked just like a timber wolf, it was allowed inside the house and outside. Was very cute but also didn't bite anyone, played with the children alright, it must have been brought up around them when it was a pup.

Please tell me more if you think that I am wrong, they seem pretty nice to me.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2005 06:02 pm
In mind of the Iditarod, some might like to know more about 2 superstars of the dog world,

Balto

http://www.workingdogweb.com/RSH/Balto-Sm.jpg

and his less-famous kennel-mate Togo (who really deserves much of the credit for what actually happened)

http://www.workingdogweb.com/RSH/TogoBW.jpg

A very accessible (meanin' "written for kids", but don't let that put you off), fact filled treatment of Balto's saga:

The Adventures of Balto - The untold story
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2005 06:53 pm
Our pups eat mostly premium dry food, with meat, large, fresh, marrow-filled bones, and sometimes fish as a once-in-a-while treat, wolf_dog_lover. They get whatever they catch, too - mice, moles, voles, squirrels, chipmunks, woodchucks, a racoon here or there, the odd unidentified critter from time to time - whatever; they're mostly outdoors as much as they care to be, and this is farm-and-forrest country (our nearest neighbor is about a half mile away). Unless attended by, or at least accompanied by, a competent, responible human, our pups are behind sturdy fence. The fenced area encompasses several acres, has flowin' water most of the year, a year-round open pond, plenty of open grassy space, and several clumps of large, mature, shady trees. Occasionally, a skunk or a porcupine happens along, and thats generally a real hassle, but it happens. All in all, with food, supplements, vet care, groomin', licensin', and all the rest, we throw a whole buncha time and money at our pups.

As far as fence goes, for a big dog, a 6' fence is a game, an 8' fence is a real challenge, and a 10' fence is damned near - but just damned near - insurmountable. Dogs dig, too, btw, so to be really secure, the fence oughtta go a foot or so into the ground. The fence is more for their protection than anything else - fenced dogs generally don't get hit by cars, tangle with bears, wolves, coyotes, badgers, fishers, martens, mink, weasels, and other aggressively toothy and clawed critters, raid garbage cans fulla stuff you know nothin' about, or bother neighborin' critters or folks.

When you get and how you raise the pup prolly doesn't make as much difference as how many generations the pup is removed from its undomesticated ancestors - a wild animal is a wild animal, the nature of which is unpredictable at best, whether that critter is wolf, dog, bear, tiger, or chimpanzee. Even with that, some individuals will take to domestication better than will others, and some never fully make the transition. Just havin' a pet is a responsibility; havin' a pet which calls for special concerns is a major responsibility - and expense. A great proportion of pups that come our way do so by way of havin' turned out to be more responsibility and commitment than their owner either was able or willin' to undertake. And that just plain ain't the pup's fault.
0 Replies

wolf dog lover

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2005 06:57 pm
Wasn't the movie based on Balto, isn't he part wolf, he was kind I love that movie.
0 Replies

wolf dog lover

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2005 07:04 pm
I am reading the link you put there for balto.

How easy is it to train a pup there?
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2005 07:04 pm
No, Balto wasn't part wolf. Check out the links in my earlier post for a more accurate version than that provided by the movie (which, I admit, I haven't seen).
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2005 07:07 pm
Trainin' any critter is a matter of patience, understandin', and consistency. Some take to it better than others.
0 Replies

wolf dog lover

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2005 07:09 pm
In the movie he is part wolf, it isn't bad, based on true story, Rosie is a grandma, but it shows her as a little girl in the movie, you should see it.
0 Replies

wolf dog lover

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2005 07:28 pm
I am very patient, I had a dog, he didn't know how to not take food off a baby, he just kept on licking the food in the child's hand.

I don't hit dogs on the head, only a little tap on the nose, He was sumped when he was not even a year old, he had to kill for himself.

He was my dog because everyone in my family didn't like him, he was bashed up by sticks before he came to live with us.

One day mum got a horse, he is only a shetland pony. We had the shetland tied up to a peg in the ground, my dog started to have a go at the pony by chasing it by it's snout.

I picked up a stick, I didn't throw it, I just did a sort of motion with it and he took off, then my mum had a go at him.

When I wasn't there this one time he did it again, I loved that dog and still do, but my stepdad shot a fire from a gun at him and it got him in the leg, after that he put him down by shooting him in the head.

This is out in the bush remind you.
0 Replies

wolf dog lover

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2005 08:09 pm
I have been reading a bit of that balto book, it is very long, there is a lot of reading involved.
0 Replies

CowDoc

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2005 12:03 am
Anyone who says wolves are "pretty nice" has simply not been around to see the carnage they produce. Incidentally, Carole King was in Washington this week, telling her Congressmen that she now understands what the ranchers have been going through. Once a wolf supporter, she now has wolves chasing her horses and harrassing her dogs. She has given her hired hands "shoot to kill" orders if the wolves even get close to her dogs. There IS a God!
0 Replies