Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2005 07:41 pm
Hi all, Would anyone know anything about taking (from a shelter) a PUPPY Wolf in MN? Anything like that? Other states?

Thank you!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 8,475 • Replies: 114
No top replies

SCoates

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2005 07:50 pm
I had a puppy taken, why?

Did you find it!!!! Yay!
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2005 08:09 pm
That's a really bad idea.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2005 08:19 pm
I worked with someone who had a 3/4 wolf hybrid, which he usually took to work. During the time he was with us, it worked out alright, bar the occasional startled visitor. A beautiful animal, but you would never mistake it for a dog.

Even if it's both possible and legal to do this, it really does sound like a bad idea.
0 Replies

epinEphrin

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2005 04:18 pm
?
What do you mean "bad idea"? I like wolves, and had a friend in NJ who had a wolf.

I got to waste, and i am responsible.
0 Replies

Adrian

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2005 04:47 pm
Quote:
"Minnesota does not currently regulate Wolf Hybrids, although they may be prohibited by local ordinances in some areas. However, if a Wolf Hybrid bears close resemblance to a "pure" wolf, the owner may be required to show proof that the animal is legally maintained and that it is a Hybrid. Pure wolves may not be taken from the wild, may only be obtained from properly licensed breeders and require a permit for their possession."

"State law prohibits the release of wolf-dog hybrids into the wild and prohibits the release of captive gray wolves except by permit from the Department of Natural Resources."

SOURCE.

To get a permit I would imagine you would need to have an enclosure of some sort.....

If you want it as a "pet" then I would suggest a hybrid.
0 Replies

epinEphrin

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2005 10:31 pm
Thanks
Thanks alot Adrian.
0 Replies

Adrian

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2005 10:47 pm
No problem.

Welcome to A2K.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2005 11:00 pm
A friend of ours, many years ago and far away from where we knew him, which was in California, told us the story of the dog who lurked around their house that they rented when he became a beginning professor in the Boston area, well, ok, Massachusetts, I am not so sure of my Massachusetts geography, though I know the unnamed university.

The family kept noticing the dog, and at some point Harvey, who had never, being a city boy, been around dogs at all, hurled a hot dog toward the yard. It was received well.
The dog kept hanging around. More hot dogs flew through the air.

Then it came time for the kids to go to school, and the dog guarded the kids as the bus arrived, and met them when it came back in the afternoon.

Months went by, and the dog, if not a pet in the usual sense, was a family companion.

And then one day the boy was being beaten up, or at least thwapped on, by another kid, and the dog advanced on him. As I remember the story, the dog didn't bite the kid, but was pretty terrifying.

Shortly thereafter the dog was remanded to a secure place and things happened. The child who was thwapping the son of our friend was the son of the fire chief, and the dog was largely wolf, if not all wolf. There was a bit of time trying to save the dog/wolf, but no, he was put to sleep.

That was Harvey's first and most loved dog. We knew him twenty years later, which is now twenty years ago, a older guy who loved big wolfy dogs. Which is why he got Hogo, the akita shepherd...
well, that's another story.
0 Replies

CowDoc

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2005 11:23 pm
If anybody wants wolves, they're more than welcome to take home all they want from central Idaho. The feds brought them in here ten years ago against the will of the locals, and the damned things have bred like rats! There are currently estimated to be over seven hundred in the state, and we can't get them off the endangered list, even though they were brought from Alberta, where they have been fluorishing for hundreds of years. At the moment, they are eating literally hundreds of calves and lambs, and devastating our elk herds. Needless to say, they have been less than a boon to our economy. Also, I truly believe it is only a matter of time before we lose children to them. They have already attacked and killed domestic dogs less than half a mile from where kids have been sledding. I can assure you that, if you don't have wolves in your area, you REALLY don't want to bring them there.
0 Replies

wolf dog lover

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2005 05:57 pm
Hi,
Me and epinEphrin would get on, I love wolves too.
They are the sweetest and cutest animal on this planet. I have learnt alot about them and I now want a wolf hybrid.

I live in australia and am looking for one close here, I haven't been able to have much luck though my passion won't run out for a long time, life is too short, so you've gotta make the most of it, get what you want.
0 Replies

wolf dog lover

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2005 06:10 pm
wolf
Hi,

I love wolves I think that they are the most precious dog on this planet.

I actually want a wolf dog though I am in Australia, I was wondering if anyone of you know anyone over here that breeds and sells them.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2005 06:29 pm
Can you whack em if theyre harrassing or attacking your herds?
Ive heard of people keeping wolf/dog and they mostly have been too difficult to handle , too active.

Kind of like owning a puma dont you think? To a puma the entire world is
1other pumas
2 food
0 Replies

wolf dog lover

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2005 09:48 pm
wolf
Hi,
I honestly don't recomand hitting anydog in a wrong way cause they would either turn on you or you lose the bond between your animal and yourself. If they have had problems, maybe they have done things to the animal for them to have problems.

It is not a good idea to hit an animal, but if it is to teach it not to pee in the house you rub its nose in its own pee.

It shouldn't be attacking livestock though it is a wolf, is it fully wolf, partly wolf, 3/4 part of a wolf or what?

If it is fully wolf than you will have problems.
Do they lock it up or chain it, do they belt it with sticks or anything but thier hand?

They will be hard to handle if they aren't around other dogs or ones like it.
That is all I can say i hope that I have helped you a little, just try to find answers first.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2005 10:48 pm
http://img59.exs.cx/img59/1871/frank1small1cp.jpg

Here at Timberland, we do "Foster Dogs" - take in pups the local shelters assess as unadoptable. There are always a buncha dogs here - the newcommers learn to integrate with the pack, and the pack pretty much helps us teach 'em "The Rules" (of which there really aren't very many - mostly, just behave, don't fight, don't bite, don't jump on people, come, sit, down, stay, drop it, and don't run off). When we figure they're ready to move out into the world, we find 'em good homes with responsible, competent, knowledgeable owners.

Frank up there is a wolf-husky hybrid - goes about 100 pounds. Sweet mutt, really. He had a bad start, came from a really bad environmemt. He's been with us about 3 years now, and still has lotsa issues.

Too many folks think it would be "neat" to own a wolf hybrid. They're big, strong-willed, independent dogs, with both a well defined sense of pack order and a drive to rise as high in the pack as they can manage. If the human isn't capable of and fully committed to bein' the pack leader, the hybrid is gonna win that game, but likely lose his home in the process. We've fostered several; they eventually go to good, suitable homes, but it takes a while to get 'em ready for that in most cases.

All in all, I figure there are far more bad dog owners than bad dogs. It just plain ain't the dog's fault he got saddled with some idiot human who had no idea what was involved or how to deal with it.
0 Replies

wolf dog lover

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2005 12:07 am
wolf
Your right,

He is cute, are you training him? Exactly how many do you get in, a month, week, year.

I have adored the wolf and have wished that I could have one and one that is breed with a dog is close enough for me.

you in America? I want to find someone here, unless it is cheap to get from where you work.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2005 01:10 am
I'm in Northwest Wisconsin, USA, on a farm and surrounded by forrest land. Yeah, there's some trainin' involved - and lotsa care and attention. Mostly what we do is rehabillitate 'em, and help 'em figure out how to get along with people and other dogs, so they can get a permanent home. Its sorta hard to say how many we deal with in "X" period - we take 'em in, and work with 'em 'til their ready to move on. Sometimes thats weeks or months, sometimes its years. I'd say a typical year would see 4 to mebbe 8 pups pass through. Right now there are 8 dogs here, and I guess we're gettin' a couple more early next week. We try to hold it to a dozen or fewer ... gets sorta complex real quick with more than that.

And we're a lot more particular about the folks the pups go to than we are about the pups we take in. We've gotta be thoroughly comfortable with the prospective owner's ability and commitment to takin' proper care of the critter - whether the pup is a 150 pound bruiser or 15 pound lapdog. And there's no charge involved. Doin' it for the pups is payment enough.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2005 01:28 am
Timber
I adore you for what you do for these dogs. I can't help but admire that kind of compassion and personal sacrifice.

(((Hugs)))
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2005 07:35 am
Embarrassed Awwwwwww..... shucks <shrugs, kicks at dirt> Embarrassed
No sacrifice at all, Montana ... selfish, really ... I like dogs a bunch. And they leave here staunch Republicans Mr. Green
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2005 07:47 am
Expressive dog there Timber. Even in a still shot he looks like hes wagging his entire body.

wolf/dog-"whacking", in the US, doesnt necessarily mean hitting.To Those of us who have stock farms(we raise lotsa sheep and some cattle) , the problem of feral dogs or just "pet dogs" who are allowed to run free and attack livestock is probably much greater than all the wolves combined. It is a sad commentary on how some people view their responsibilities in caring for animals .One night a few years back, we lost 12 ewes and lambs to a pack of "pet dogs" that loosely convened each evening to roust and attack the farm animals.

Since ewes have no real defense, but will stand there between the attacking dogs and their lambs and take the full attack as their only way to protect their young, our sheep were a magnet to this pack of dogs. Hence the "whacking"
0 Replies